JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ok, but where are you going to bug out to? I ask that because people already cover the map. Just because you or I drive through an area and think it looks like a good spot to make a stand, somebody else may already call that home. And even if the spot you or I picked is on BLM or USFS land, who knows how many others are going to show up? and what kinda folks might they be? and if all of us good guys show up armed to the teeth, how will we recognize each other from the bad guys?

You should have several bug-out locations and routes pre-planned.

I don't think a person can predict an absolute safe spot.

One may even have to end up trying to get to the Pearl FROM the country.

Speelyei is making a good point, I posted about this in another thread:

"A Common misconception about the survival topic is that you would get all this fancy gear and water, guns and ammo, non perishable foodstuffs, to prepair for some unforseen "SHTF" scenerio, then when it happens, throw your BOB on and either drive or hike to the safety of a predetermined location, where you will hide out in total self suffiencey until the whole thing blows over. Am I right???

Well unfortunately that isnt how it would happen. You have to remember that if there was some "SHTF" incident, everyone and there redheaded stepbrother would be trying to get out as well. Maybe those people of your area didnt realize they should have prepaired for it like you did.

SO, not only do you have COMPLETE gridlock of all roadways in your area, from everybody else trying to drive to safety, but you have people that are on foot as well, trying to run to safety. And you also have the majority of these people, realizing that they SHOULD have prepaired for this situation.

So are you going to be loading up your minivan full of your collected resourses, while waiving at the hundreds of scared people running by your house? Are you going to be the only one who can make it through the packed roadways of cars trying to get out as well? Probably not.

First, as your loading the mass of stuff you have spent the last few years gathering into your vehicle, you'll likely have freaked out passers by, thinking HEY, WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THAT STUFF TOGETHER ALSO, LETS GO TAKE IT FROM THAT GUY!

Alot of people forget how close to the surface, human beings primal urge for survival is to the surface. Just scratch the surface and it is there. Just look at Katrina, people were killing eachother and looting stores, pretty much immeadiately.

Your absolute best bet is to try to live in a small community, outside big cities. And when the SHTF, you stay in your home, with all the supplies you have gathered, and contingency plans for everything, and when that time comes, then you have yourself, and your small community to rely on if you included them into your plan."

You both have very good points.

The tally:

CharlesAFerg is saying Between Hwy 217 and 26 in Beaverton
speelyei is thinking The Pearl is the best option
I'm thinking Battleground, WA
treemanx and eldbillbo are both saying Clackamas County has many of the OPs criteria

Haha!! I suppose where we all live now says more than any post on a thread.

My vote? Port Orford or Summer Lake

If it were I, I would choose something west of Portland. Outskirts of Forest Grove or North Plains would be a area that would provide you with the land you seek and nice housing within your price range. I honestly have no idea about Schools or Churches in that area. My reasoning is I work in Portland and live in Aloha my Wife and I have had discussions on what would happen if for some reason I could not make it home due to the Rivers and the Bridges if something happened. All these other locations are with in 45minutes of your work without traffic. But for me personally if I could I'd chose to be have my home and work and family fairly close to each other if possible, and no potential obstacles between them.

Having lived in oregon all my life and currently owning a house in portland I will say that Im glad that I live in Vancouver wa. Oregons libelals and the bullcrap laws has made me really dislike the portland surrounding area. I choose to stay in washington as its alot more laid back, cleaner, and alot cheaper when it comes to home buying. In some cases its $50,000-$100,000 cheaper for basically the same house compared to the portland area. Not bagging on anybody that lives in oregon, but for me, Washington works alot better.

Having lived in oregon all my life and currently owning a house in portland I will say that Im glad that I live in Vancouver wa. Oregons libelals and the bullcrap laws has made me really dislike the portland surrounding area. I choose to stay in washington as its alot more laid back, cleaner, and alot cheaper when it comes to home buying. In some cases its $50,000-$100,000 cheaper for basically the same house compared to the portland area. Not bagging on anybody that lives in oregon, but for me, Washington works alot better.

I'm in Ridgefield, Wa - So I +1 the comments of Coctailer and 22Many. Battleground is a good place. So is La Center, Ridgefield and Woodland. It takes me 30 minutes to get into downtown Portland. I like Portland. I like liberals. I like guns. I also like feeling like I'm out in the middle of the country, and I can be on the Columbia in about 5 minutes from my house if the roads go to ****. Another important factor, is that I'm 15 minutes from the nearest hospital; a damn good one. Sometimes the SHTF for just me or somebody I know, and being able to quickly get medical attention is a huge plus.:eek:

cameronhu has a good point about the Columbia. I lived on a sailboat for a while, and sailed on the Columbia frequently. I have always thought that if things got drastic in Portland while I was there, I would just comandeer a nice 34'er and slide down to Astoria

I've lived in the Portland/Vancouver area a bit, and have very good friends out in Hillsboro. They moved there before it went hi tech, and have watched the valley grow insanely. They remember when most of the land there was for strawberries and raspberries, some cattle......

I'd suggest a few areas to the west, north, and south of Hillsboro. Most of the close in land has been bought and developed. I've seen incredible development in the fifteen years I've been in and out of there. West Union, North Plains, and,a bit farther afield, you should definitely check out Vernonia, a quiet little backwater town in the hills and valleys about 20 minutes from Hillsboro. Further south and almost as far west as Vernonia, Forest Grove (already mentioned) is a sweet, sleepy old fashioned town... or was just a few years ago. On further south into Yamhill County is rural farm territory, I know a family that's lived there, oh, I think the third generation is still running the family farm now. Very quaint backwoods old time farm area...... plenty of old homes, smaller patches of land. As far as the church situation, I know of an excellent one meeting on the north edge of Hillsboro just off Cornelius Pass Road. Small, family integrated, homespun, very close-knit yet welcoming and open to new folks. Some of the families there I've known for ten or more years. Lots of large families, but a few smaller ones and singles, too. At least one three generation family, too... granny is a kick, born and raised in Kentucky. Plays autoharp well, and a real sweetheart of a grey haired old lady. All the leadership are family men, have their own businesses or employment, are not salaried. All other work is volunteer, rented facility so no huge building fund. I know at least two, possibly three, who carry everywhere, and at least a few of the families are into firearms, teaching their kids, marksmanship, range time, hunting, etc.

should definitely check out Vernonia, a quiet little backwater town in the hills and valleys about 20 minutes from Hillsboro..

Funny you should mention Vernonia. I've lived here during the flood of 2007 and also last winter with two feet of snow, no power for a week, and the roads out of town completely shut down. What I witnessed was during both was kind pathetic. Love my community but most people had NO idea what to do. Watched people stand in the rain just watching the waters rise then complain about the damage and how the government wasn't helping them enough.
During the snow storm most people just locked themselves inside with a blanket and hoped they had enough food and heat until the roads opened and the power came back on. Lots of people didn't.
Both situations were definitely learning opportunities. Very few people, myself included, were totally prepared.

I would look at Vernonia, 31 miles from Hillsboro, or 40 minutes. Now, Vernonia got majorly flooded back when we had that ridiculous storm on the west coast area, but I think you can build your house on stilts and be okay, or get someplace more in the mountains up there and you should be fine. And you get ALOT more for your money, you probably wouldn't have to spend half of your $500K budget to get what your looking for. Definitely check it out.

Funny, the change in quality of resident in Vernonia. I remember back, say, twenty years or so, it was a bunch of hardscrabble loggers, "cedar beetles", scratch farmers, all worked hard, stuck together, knew what to do, could handle anything and often did.
But, I suppose since timber shut down the citified folk with delusions of having their own quiet preserve "away from it all" brought "all" of it with them. Land IS cheap, partly cause its so remote. It is still a pretty area, but it sounds like the sort of folk living there is rather different now.

From what I know of folks who still live there, things are still pretty rural and down home friendly on south into Yamhill County.... not sure of land prices, though.

the idea of living more self-sufficiently is a good one. A connection to the land and a sense of stewardship is important, and I think the loss of that connection explains a lot of the attitudes we see today.

the issue of gentrification is legitimate, too. the common occurence is that a person wants to live both lives.... the solitude of the country and the order and luxury of the city. Someone moves to Baker City from Portland, to "get away from it all". Then they put in some grass, irrigation lines, and a garden, and flower beds, put up some fences, and the requisite "No Trespassing" signs, pave the driveway, fence out the deer an elk, shoot the coyotes, get a quad to ride the 4 acres of fencing.... little Beaverton.

That being said, there are plenty of workin' class folk out here who treat their property like an open dump. Old fridges and cars covered with blackberries, no one ever seems to be "at work". Lifestyle a study in choices.. peeling paint, bad roof, and a new AR-15, new Fox racing boots and an abscessed tooth...

for what it's worth I fall somewhere in between.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top