JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, this is my thread, and I'm glad I've gotten so many great responses. Thanks! I really do appreciate it. Here is a response to a few things that have come up.

My vision of the future: I'm not worried about a nuke, only marginally worried about pandemic, but mostly worried about what happens as our economy breaks down under the strain of hyperinflation and crushing energy prices. As those things happen, people will keep losing their jobs, and become gradually more desperate. Food, water, warmth supplies will be reduced for some at the margins. Those people will be increasingly restless and start looking for ways to improve lives for themselves / their families. This happens in a trickle. They may resort to stealing from community gardens where possible, increasing use of wood for keeping warm, etc. At the same time, police are spending more time trying to provide for their own families, and the populace will be harder to control. During this time, I don't want to be in the city, in a home that depends on natural gas fuel, without a garden of my own. In Russia, they survived economic collapse in part because many people had their own garden plots to supplement the government supplied bread (which often included sawdust at this time as filler). I want to be surrounded by people who can provide for themselves, or at least has enough of "salt of the earth" types that they can figure it out as it happens. I don't pretend to believe I can hold out in a "fortress" or that I could even build one. I believe strong local community, with church, loyal people, people prepared to help themselves will be the best solution. Will it be resilient enough to withstand full government military force? No. Will it be resilient enough to allow someone who is integrated in the community to stand a slightly better chance of managing some of the resulting problems? I hope so.

I welcome debate on my thoughts, but in short, I'm thinking it will be a gradual breakdown with some smaller groups of people trying to take from others, perhaps increasing over time. But if I can live in a community where at least some are like-minded and willing to band together to help friends/neighbors, I think it will be better than my urban home without much space for a garden, and no real heating other than nat gas.

Here are some of the places mentioned:
Vernonia: I like. I've been there, even looked at some land in the past. Seems like a nice little town. I'm a bit concerned about previous comments regarding lack of self sufficiency though. Would love to hear more from others with experience. It was already on my list of areas to look at.

North Plains / Forest Grove: I'm intrigued. I'll take a look.

South Hillsboro: There are some areas toward Tigard, in the hills, that I've been to before. Scholls seems like a neat area to me. Also, my daughter could still attend St. Mary's if we drop her off at a bus stop or carpool with someone. Dalep, PM coming your way.

Yamhill County: I've been through wine country a few times, and kinda like it. I've also purchased my dog from a rancher down that way, and liked his land; it was pretty with streams & waterfalls. I would want south-facing land if possible, and it would need to be north county for commute purposes.

Battleground Area: I'm now extending my search into that area. One nice thing about being north of the columbia is that the land tends to slope toward Southern exposure. (Side note: Ideally, I would build an ICF solar home, which would benefit from south exposure.)

Clackamas County: I hate taking Portland's bridges during commute hour. That said, the area is beautiful. Really pretty. I do know less about it, so inputs here are good.

The Pearl: I do like flats down there. I do think heating of some of those places won't be as much a problem as elsewhere due to common walls. However, if we have a breakdown in food supply, those folks will need to travel quite a bit to get food. And water. Not saying I think the infrastructure will break down completely, but I do believe any potential breakdown will put people at risk. Further, for my own life fulfillment, I would actually like to grow some of my own food and feel that I could live with minimal energy inputs if necessary. Finally, I've met a lot of people who live in or around the urban areas that I feel do not live wholesome lives. Much fewer God-fearing folks who strive to love their families more than themselves. Maybe just a bad experience, but I've had better experiences in the country (I used to live in the Sierra Mountains in Cali).

I really do appreciate the inputs here. Feel free to argue whether I'm right or wrong. Feel free to provide inputs on other areas. Also, I would really like to hear more details on Vernonia, North Plains area, or the area in South Hillsboro.

I work in Hillsboro as well, and was looking for roughly the same types of things when I looked for a house 4ish years ago. I checked out North Plains, Vernonia, Gaston, Forest Grove. All were nice enough, but seem to be on their way to urban spraw. Washington County also has higher taxes than many other places. Long story short I ended up in Rainier, OR and love it.

Based on your concerns:

- Within reasonable driving distance of Hillsboro-47 easy miles down Rt30 up Corn. pass takes about an hour, but easier than driving pdx to hillsboro

- Can get high speed Internet-Quest DSL (may be other options)
- Can get 3+ acres and a home under $500k-way easier than in Washington county
- Has land suitable for a big garden-yes
- Area suitable for chickens or other low impact animals-yes (if outside "city limmits"
- Has a sense of community-without a doubt!
- Strong Christian faith / values in the community-yes
- Would be great to know if there is a "guns in church" community there (see other thread)-not sure, not a big church goer
- Local food supplies for what I cannot / do not grow myself- Longview, WA right across the river- safeway, freddies, winco, home depot, walmart, lowes.
- People who depend on themselves, believe in self sufficiency and minimum government is great- It's the land time forgot, think 50's Leave it to Beaver
- Preferably has decent public (or private) schools-Schools seem good for small town.
- Would be great to have kids in the community, for both my kids, as well as I think kids ground you- there's kids

Also close enough/far away enough from I-5

Nice local gun range!

Maximum survivability? Start no closer than 40 miles from Portland. That will help big time with the people making up your neighbors, local laws and ordinances, taxes, cost of land and home, availability of wood for heat, a whole lot of things.

If you telecommute, try to find out how far out Cable goes. :)

Maximum survivability? Start no closer than 40 miles from Portland. That will help big time with the people making up your neighbors, local laws and ordinances, taxes, cost of land and home, availability of wood for heat, a whole lot of things.

If you telecommute, try to find out how far out Cable goes. :)

Satellite internet! Sure it blows but it's a fair trade off.

My next property purchase will be governed by 2 words "unincorporated area".

We use 3G wireless instead of satellite. It's much cheaper after all is said and done and much faster. Hughes Net can bite the big one. The lie really bad and the latency is horrible. (unless you buy the 3,500 dual dish) and 300/mnth plan

..just my .02

We use 3G wireless instead of satellite. It's much cheaper after all is said and done and much faster. Hughes Net can bite the big one. The lie really bad and the latency is horrible. (unless you buy the 3,500 dual dish) and 300/mnth plan

..just my .02

I'm referring to remote areas where there is no coverage, any "available" option is better.

no man is an island...that applies 100% in a SHFT situation...you can live in the best location possible..if your alone you will loose....you need like minded friends and or relatives around you...you need to know your neighbors

look at the area around here and figure out whats the most common or likely incident to occur..then plan accordingly

the biggest natural disasters we face in the PDX area are:

#1 Flood

#2 earthquake

both of these have happend in the past and will happen again.

depending on the level of destruction/ length of time..all the other stuff (civile unrest ect) can follow closly behind.

so if I was looking for a place...I would look for a place thats not on the 100 year flood plain and not on a hill side or fault line..then I would look for a place with good neighbors and Id get to know everybody.

I'd say Banks, Gales Creek, Buxton, Manning, Vernonia and Scappoose/St Helens area. To respond to one of the previous posters (who lives in Rainier), Vernonia is not in Washington Cty, it is in Columbia Cty. If you could stand the drive I'd give a +1 to the area between Rainier and St. Helens also. It's all beautiful and outside of the immediate metro area property is MUCH more reasonably priced.

-Brian

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm talking to my realtor, and will have my Portland home listed in 1-2 weeks (after I finish a bunch of work). I'll be listing below market, and will try to move into one of those areas this fall.

It seems that most of the areas on my list are a fair drive from the Hillsboro airport. Vernonia and areas to the North of it are attractive, as are some of the areas mentioned in Washington due to slightly lower property taxes and no income taxes. Further, Washington State properties seem to be a bit power priced.

One item the wife and I would like is the local availability of a Christian private school that goes through high school, as our daughter is a sophomore.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions; keep 'em coming! And if you know of a particular property that meets many of the criteria I set out, and isn't over $500k, feel free to post or PM. And yes, I do have a realtor already.

If you live in Vernonia I'd recommend a few things. Generator, boat (stored on the roof), and a sat phone or mobile HAM radio. boat can probably go if you are in the higher areas and have access to multiple routes out of the area (a couple of the main roads out of Vernonia flooded). The sat phone or HAM radio and generator are more useful as there have been several instances over the recent years where due to wind, show, and/or ice the power and phone lines have been cut to town for up to a week or so at a time. Have plenty of firewood.

Now, don't think I'm a hater. Vernonia is number one on my list of places I want to move when I'm ready to leave suburbia. I just want to make sure you are prepared in buying your BOL home.

I'd heard some roads and power were out over 2 weeks after one storm last year...they had a shot on AxMen where several hundred yards of riverbank was washed out, taking a road, bridge, and a length of railroad right-of-way with it, and a local said it may never be rebuilt. (read: it'll be moved)

Ok, this is my thread, and I'm glad I've gotten so many great responses. Thanks! I really do appreciate it. Here is a response to a few things that have come up.

My vision of the future: I'm not worried about a nuke, only marginally worried about pandemic, but mostly worried about what happens as our economy breaks down under the strain of hyperinflation and crushing energy prices. As those things happen, people will keep losing their jobs, and become gradually more desperate. Food, water, warmth supplies will be reduced for some at the margins. Those people will be increasingly restless and start looking for ways to improve lives for themselves / their families. This happens in a trickle. They may resort to stealing from community gardens where possible, increasing use of wood for keeping warm, etc. At the same time, police are spending more time trying to provide for their own families, and the populace will be harder to control. During this time, I don't want to be in the city, in a home that depends on natural gas fuel, without a garden of my own. In Russia, they survived economic collapse in part because many people had their own garden plots to supplement the government supplied bread (which often included sawdust at this time as filler). I want to be surrounded by people who can provide for themselves, or at least has enough of "salt of the earth" types that they can figure it out as it happens. I don't pretend to believe I can hold out in a "fortress" or that I could even build one. I believe strong local community, with church, loyal people, people prepared to help themselves will be the best solution. Will it be resilient enough to withstand full government military force? No. Will it be resilient enough to allow someone who is integrated in the community to stand a slightly better chance of managing some of the resulting problems? I hope so.

Meantime, as you wait for this to occur, all the folks who want to move out into these smaller communities will be paying the exorbitant gas prices to do this hour (or more) commute, economic opportunity will be less, house prices will dive more as less folks want to spend the time or the money for the heinous commute. Time and gas cost you.

As far as "Bugging out" goes. I have everything INSIDE of my house that I want. Tools, gear, equipment...all kinds of cool STUFF. My neighbors all all great folks with a rich diversity of skills. Why the **** would I just drive away from all that to "Bug Out" and burn up all my gas so that I'm stuck out there in the toolies without a damn thing but the great impoverished unwashed masses all preying on each other and just leave all my cool stuff back at the ranch for the looters?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews