JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Ukraine war has made me appreciate the accuracy at distance that can be achieved with projectiles lobbed up in the air at relatively steep angles. Could this style of firing a projectile be adapted to rifle shooting with any acceptable accuracy?

An example that could be done in a more limited space would be this: You mark your target area flat on the ground. Using a golf ball launcher attached to your AR15 you launch the golf balls in the air at an angle that allows the golf ball to fall on the target area.

Edit: This one's for you @Mono1

Last Edited:
Used to be a military unit standard, so JMHO . . .
Yes, if you except 'group area fire' as acceptable accuracy
No, if you are using one rifle and hand holding it
Maybe, if you attach the rifle to a stand or fixture that can be adjusted like an artillery piece

It's a little early in the day and my coffee is waiting on more coffee to wake it up, but I trend to recall that we have a member on here that likes to build odd and fanciful things that leave a lot of people confused, maybe you could reach out to them for help designing and building something to test this . . .oh . . . . hang on a second . . .

Call is comming from inside.png

Maybe, if you attach the rifle to a stand or fixture that can be adjusted like an artillery piece

It's a little early in the day and my coffee is waiting on more coffee to wake it up, but I trend to recall that we have a member on here that likes to build odd and fanciful things that leave a lot of people confused, maybe you could reach out to them for help designing and building something to test this . . .oh . . . . hang on a second . . .

View attachment 1883428
I am guessing launching grenades from a rifle might have used a similar style of aiming.

View attachment 1883428
1716045599726.jpeg

Are you talking about using alternative projectiles (golf balls, etc) fired by blanks, or regular rifle ammo? Blank-fired projectiles are going to have relatively low muzzle velocity, so they would be best used in shorter ranges where direct rifle fire would be more accurate. Conversely, rifle ammo has a very high muzzle velocity which is going to send the projectile much further, but lobbing ammo as you describe means your target will be beyond your rifle's effective range, making accurate fire challenging. Not impossible, but not reliable enough to be useful.

Are you talking about using alternative projectiles (golf balls, etc) fired by blanks, or regular rifle ammo? Blank-fired projectiles are going to have relatively low muzzle velocity, so they would be best used in shorter ranges where direct rifle fire would be more accurate. Conversely, rifle ammo has a very high muzzle velocity which is going to send the projectile much further, but lobbing ammo as you describe means your target will be beyond your rifle's effective range, making accurate fire challenging. Not impossible, but not reliable enough to be useful.
Both! Loading conventional ammo at very low velocities would be part of the attraction.

Yes, though not quite the steep angles of lobbing artillery but machine gun grazing fire and plunging fire use the arc trajectory of the bullet to pin down enemy movement.

Ive also heard of soldiers standing in line firing simultaneously straight up to hit enemy aircraft with regular infantry rifles.

In WWI the Germans were pissed when the Americans showed up with their Springfield that had 1000yard sights and started volley shooting into the Germans trenches imagine 600 rifle men shooting at an angle that caused the rounds to come down into the trench I stead of across the top. 600 173gr slugs in a volley at the rate of maybe 20 a min would be very demoralising

Yes...as noted above ..best with crew served weapons and volley rifle fire.
And yes again to accuracy concerns...as in good enough for "government work"...but not so good for "rifle work."

Speaking only for myself here..
With the cost of ammo nowadays...or components if you reload....
I don't see much benefit from this practice...since I am interested in "rifle work" as in precision shooting with my rifle.
Also something to consider here....is safety.
Where is that bullet going to go when you miss...?
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads