JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After you have come to grips with the content of your bug out bag, where do you store it?

My personal preference would be my car. Typically, my car is where I am. When I am home, on the road, at work, or out and about, so is my car. If the house is about to collapse (my car is parked outside of the garage), there may be a better chance retrieving that bag from the car than from any given location inside the house. As an added benefit, I also have my bug out bag when getting stranded somewhere else. For example, your car breaks down or gets trapped by a snow storm in the middle of nowhere - I remember this story vividly http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16699185/...ly-lost-oregon-tried-avoid-snow/#.VcQv8Dx8M5s

Now the question is, if you have a firearm as part of your bug out bag, how comfortable are you leaving it in your vehicle? I would keep it unloaded, possibly trigger/hammer locked, and keep either the gun or the magazines separate in the locked glove box. I am fairly confident that I will have my keys when leaving the house.

What's your take on this?

Don't have a bug out bag per se - get home bag sorta. Overnight/emergency kit fits description better. Lives in the truck 5 days a week when I am working - sits in the car the two I am off. No weapons in it - my gun is either on my person or in the safe. I do not tote a long gun in the truck. There are spare mags in the bag in the unlikely event I use up the two primaries I carry on body (one in the gun plus spare)

IF I were keeping a weapon un the vehicle - I would chain it to a structural component or at least a seat base. Biggest chain that would fit through the action wrapped around a seat base and padlocked with a heavy duty padlock. If the theives want it they gotta work for it. Not super fast to deploy but you probably have the time if you are abandoning ship and hoofing it. If you need s gun RFN - thats what your ccw is for, no?

Otherwise a gun vault or safe or custom welded security locker would be good options. Hidden from view or made to appear to be part of the vehicle would be best.

Don't have a bug out bag per se - get home bag sorta. Overnight/emergency kit fits description better. Lives in the truck 5 days a week when I am working - sits in the car the two I am off. No weapons in it - my gun is either on my person or in the safe. I do not tote a long gun in the truck. There are spare mags in the bag in the unlikely event I use up the two primaries I carry on body (one in the gun plus spare)

IF I were keeping a weapon un the vehicle - I would chain it to a structural component or at least a seat base. Biggest chain that would fit through the action wrapped around a seat base and padlocked with a heavy duty padlock. If the theives want it they gotta work for it. Not super fast to deploy but you probably have the time if you are abandoning ship and hoofing it. If you need s gun RFN - thats what your ccw is for, no?

Otherwise a gun vault or safe or custom welded security locker would be good options. Hidden from view or made to appear to be part of the vehicle would be best.
I have a separate compartment below the cargo area, and it holds a 10/22 with factory action lock attached to a really thick cable attached to the seat base. Not my carry gun, obviously. But I rather have this one than nothing, plus I would not want to hunt raccoons with a 9mm handgun. I am with you, my carry is either on me or in the safe.

I have a lot invested into my hunting/survival/SHTF equipment so even without a gun in the bag, I would be very uncomfortable leaving it in my car overnight all the time - I park in the driveway and not in the garage.

I have my gear where I should be able to get to it in a fire/quake type situation but all of these threads lately have me reevaluating some of my practices.

When I travel I have a Maxpedition bag with my get me home stuff in it but I wear my gun so it goes where I go. I don't leave guns for someone to steal, carry it or leave it home in the safe. What good does a gun in a bag in your vehicle do you?

I break down then I just grab the Max and I am good to go....

I have a lot invested into my hunting/survival/SHTF equipment so even without a gun in the bag, I would be very uncomfortable leaving it in my car overnight all the time - I park in the driveway and not in the garage.

I have my gear where I should be able to get to it in a fire/quake type situation but all of these threads lately have me reevaluating some of my practices.
Smart. If you got a full-on BOB, I don't think I'd leave it in my car, even without a gun.
Every car though should have basic survival stuff and tools in it.. doesn't necessarily have to be in a bag but having a bag is a good idea. And remember, your car is a surviving treasure trove. You can start fire with it, make insulated clothing, footwear, a sled, .. yada yada, especially if you have basic tools.

When I travel I have a Maxpedition bag with my get me home stuff in it but I wear my gun so it goes where I go. I don't leave guns for someone to steal, carry it or leave it home in the safe. What good does a gun in a bag in your vehicle do you?

I break down then I just grab the Max and I am good to go....
I don't carry daily, so that changes the picture. Also hunting with a carry gun is not ideal.

For now, I decided to keep the 3 day food and water supply in the car - if we have to leave the house that's where I will find it. If we can stay put, we have enough supplies to sustain much longer. The bug out backpack stays next to the gun safe on the main floor, and if I have to bail, that's the most likely place I can reach before exiting the house.

I won't keep stuff stored in the rig that can spoil like food. Too hot in the summer and freezes in the winter. Max bag holds enough food and water to get me home.

Concept of a "bug out bag" strikes me as a what if. If I can't load stuff in the rig then I can't carry enough to last more than a week so my bug out rig is my bag. Right now it's a jeep wrangler with a full tank of fuel.

When I was younger I walked 15 miles the first day and 18 the second day with no pack and working in hot sun. Took two days to recover and I was in my best shape. The idea men are going to grab a pack and run just doesn't make sense, run to where and for how long?

it depends where you live... how populated it is and such. We live on a slope, with enough shaking that could turn into slide and send our homes into the lake. Seattle is surrounded by water and bridges. If these bridges fail, it could take a while (more than 72 hours) before we get enough supplies ... and help.

The food and water in my kit has a 5 year shelf-life, so I am not concerned.

I have a yard wagon (like a red flyer but on steroids) I found at Costco for around $100. It has 4 large inflatable tires (I'd want to fill them with runflat and maybe find a spare tire) and is rated to carry a half ton.

I'm thinking that would be a great way for my wife and daughter to haul a bunch of gear reasonably without havin to deal with backpacks (they are city girls after all:(). It could be taken most places you can walk...

I'm going to put some thought into pre loading it with water and other nonperishables and lock it in my yard shed - no house fire or earthquake would keep me from getting it out from that location.

Man,I am so glad I moved to Idaho.But more so just to move out of an area that I needed to worry about my vehicle.
I left my truck unlocked in Sequim and I do here. My doors to the house are always unlocked,too.

So,living and traveling around here,I have so much stuff in the truck.I am good for quite some time.
Bug out ,get home,stat alive gear all in the truck. Hunting pack at the ready
Not many fools around that want to try to break into your vehicle around here..

AND,y'all better find those winter clothes and put a few in the truck next month.

My situation is different now. I have to consider a GHB when. Go off island....especially for Dr appt. sometimes only available ferry is a walk on, so do I take a back pack and hide it and protection in the weeds...??? Fortunately not a common occurrence but sobering one if something bad happens cause sidearms and MRIs don't mix. Much better if Shtf while on island.

Brutus out

My situation is different now. I have to consider a GHB when. Go off island....especially for Dr appt. sometimes only available ferry is a walk on, so do I take a back pack and hide it and protection in the weeds...??? Fortunately not a common occurrence but sobering one if something bad happens cause sidearms and MRIs don't mix. Much better if Shtf while on island.
Brutus out
I've had an MRI or so and it seems they will afford you a cubby or locker to put your stuff while you get zapped. It's not like general anesthesia and surgery.

Everybody needs a get home bag. Wife keeps one in her truck. I have one in my car. If your worried about it getting stolen then get your supplies at goodwill or garage sales. If you can't be recoursfull when times are good then what makes you think you can do so in a scenario? I shop at the goodwill bins. Everything from clothes to my msr water filter was $0.89/ lb. If it gets stolen I'll be mad but I can recover quickly.
BTW if you find a tent without poles take the rain fly it makes a good light weight shelter..

I have a different view on get home bags and my survival gear.

I would rather have to pack it in and out of the truck and have quality gear to depend on when I need it then buy the cheapest stuff I can find so that I can just leave it and forget it.

Just my pack and boots alone are close to $500. I will make it 4-5 times as far with just those two things then a used $25 pack and boots.

Could I make it on my own without any supplies? Yup. I know that I will make much better time with all my gear then try to scrounge things along the way however.

My pack and boots would retail new for $200. I paid $10. Neither the trail nor will my feet know the what I paid. My point is you can pay smart or you can pay retail.

My pack and boots would retail new for $200. I paid $10. Neither the trail nor will my feet know the what I paid. My point is you can pay smart or you can pay retail.

Hey, only you can decide whats "smart" for you. I'm a bargain hunter myself but I've yet to see a $200 pair of boots for $10 so I guess I'll continue not being smart and buying quality stuff.

Some people like mad dog 20/20 and others prefer a fine wine - it takes all sorts to make the world go round.

I walked into a Goodwill and found a new pair of Mason Wildfire fighters boots for $40, they fit like a glove. If those boots were being made in the US today they would be around $300

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top