Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where do you get your Buffalo Meat???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bunny, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Bunny

Bunny Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a local source of fresh, 100% all-natural, grass fed, no hormone, locally raised buffalo/bison meat. I know some grocery chains sell buffalo, but I'd like to really know where my meat's coming from and be able to find more than just ground meat. Steaks, hot dogs, sausage, jerky, ground, etc.

Anyone know where I can find this in the greater Portland area or surrounding it? Or perhaps local sources that will ship?

2. vmkeith

vmkeith Vancouver, Washington, United States Member

3. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I was getting it from Gartners meat in NE PDX until the price doubled. Went back to beef.

4. hawaiianrider1958

hawaiianrider1958 oregon New Member

You can purchase Buffalo Meat near Forest Grove, off of Hwy. 47 there is a ranch that raises Buffalo and also sells their meat. Don't recall the name though..... I'm sure that you could google it and locate it that way.

5. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

6. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buffalo ranch on Highway 22 about 15 miles west of of Salem. They sell from there.

7. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Eat Wild

You don't necessarily have to get it from an Oregon rancher.. Most bison meat comes from the Midwest, where the Plains Bison traditionally roamed for thousands, perhaps millions of years. Pardon, I am not an expert on archaeology.

Avoid Fred Meyer at all cost.. Every piece of meat in that store is factory farmed, pumped full of steroids, hGH, finished on cheap soy/corn meal, etc.. Nasty stuff..

A CAMPAIGN FOR REAL (RAW) MILK! has some ranchers

Get 100% Grass Fed, Organic buffalo meat.. Doesn't necessarily have to be Certified Organic.

I get mine from a 6000 acre Bison Ranch in Nebraska.. It is some of the best dang meat I ever had in my life.. Bit tough for some, but I like the gamey and rich Grassy Plains flavor. It's like eating a piece of Nebraska Plains grass in each bite.. Soo, good..

8. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

From my wife's aaaaaaaat Freddies of course! *ahem*.

9. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

there is a large ranch on the silver lake hiwy. Don't know how they sell..( E. Or.)

10. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

I do know Full Circle Bison is your best bet for Oregon Bison.. Tobias Hatfield does a good job and I was a customer of him for a long time.. His bison is 100% grass fed and raised organically.. However, after hooking back up with a Nebraska rancher I use to get from, I just cannot eat Oregon bison anymore.. The type of Bison that are being raised come from the Midwest and, IMO, have a much better flavor when raised in their natural environment. The mountain bison that use to roam this side of the country are now mostly extinct and crossbred with Plains bison from what I hear and are quite a bit gamier.

11. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

L Bar T. They have a retail store. Head out of F G toward Hagg Lake. You'll see the buffalo on the right.

12. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

From a Buffalo!

I'm sorry...I couldn't help myself.

13. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

Beat me to it...... :(

14. Smoke It

Smoke It northwest New Member

What would someone expect to pay for cut and wrapped