JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm six months into reloading now and have been ordering projectiles from Xtreme, which I'm thankful for as availability is pretty good. Problem is I can't run full power 357 loads without stripping the plating off their bullets. Does anyone have a source for jacketed 158 gr bullets? I haven't been able to find them anywhere so far. I tried to bid on three lots of 300 NOS Winchester 158 gr JSP projectiles on Gunbroker the other day and they went for 0.42 per bullet! Anyone here know of a source? I'd like to get a 357 lever gun but not if I'm stuck with plated bullets. Thanks.

Take a look at RMR Bullets:

I've had very good luck with their bullets. I have shot these in .38 SPL loads so I have not pushed them to max levels.

I shoot a lot of their 9mm bullets and have been really happy with them.

The big warning about RMR is that they are swamped with orders. When you order, they will charge your credit card immediately but you may not get your order for a month. But you will get your order. You just have to be patient. I got in a shipment of 9mm bullets recently and it took about 5 weeks.

Good luck!

Take a look at RMR Bullets:

I've had very good luck with their bullets. I have shot these in .38 SPL loads so I have not pushed them to max levels.

I shoot a lot of their 9mm bullets and have been really happy with them.

The big warning about RMR is that they are swamped with orders. When you order, they will charge your credit card immediately but you may not get your order for a month. But you will get your order. You just have to be patient. I got in a shipment of 9mm bullets recently and it took about 5 weeks.

Good luck!
Thank you! I wonder if the lack of a canulure on these would be an issue in full magnum loads.

Oremike is correct. Sorry, I missed the part about being used in a lever action rifle. With the nose of the bullet resting against the primer in front of it, there is a chance of detonation.

Best to look for a flat point bullet.

Multiple things to think about here.

Thank you! I wonder if the lack of a canulure on these would be an issue in full magnum loads.

It's inadvisable to load bullets without cannelure in heavy revolver loads. Reason: bullet jump, where recoil causes the bullet to back out of the case and can result in jamming cylinder rotation. In a lever action rifle, cartridges stacked in a tube magazine could suffer the opposite, that is, bullet set-back where the cartridges would batter against each other under recoil and force the bullets deeper into the cases. Potentially. Fired one at a time in your rifle, not a problem.

There are ways you could use these anyway. Get a cannelure tool from Corbin and roll it on yourself but this tool is costly. Or, you could seal the bullet in place with nail varnish. Put a dab around the sidewall of the bullet at time of seating. Propellant combustion burns it off at time of ignition. Some military ammo formerly had bullets sealed in with asphaltum. Including match rifle ammo that wasn't crimped.
RN bullets are not recommended for use in tube magazines due to the possibility of a chain fire event.

RMR calls this a round nose bullet but the text and the picture show it as a flat nose. Which shouldn't be a problem in a tube magazine.

RN bullets are not recommended for use in tube magazines due to the possibility of a chain fire event.
The round nose RMR posted are flat point which would be OK as far as that issue but I myself wouldn't without the cannelure on full house loads. If the OP was closer I could help him out with jacketed stuff made for what he wants to load.

A cannelure tool is very handy and will transform some bullets from problematic to practical. From the looks of it, the Corbin is indeed a pricey option. Much more economical is the C-H Cannelure tool at $68 according with one source I checked. Have owned one for decades and it comes in very handy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.15.38 PM.png

Thanks for that. 👍I set up a notification. That makes like 100 I'm signed up for at Midway. 😜
I bought some Hornady FTX 140gr and factory seconds boxed up in Midway boxes (actually Hornady) not that long ago. They come available fairly often and are the same bullet used for the leverlution ammo.

I have several boxes of these if you're ever in the area....

Last Edited:
I'm six months into reloading now and have been ordering projectiles from Xtreme, which I'm thankful for as availability is pretty good. Problem is I can't run full power 357 loads without stripping the plating off their bullets. Does anyone have a source for jacketed 158 gr bullets? I haven't been able to find them anywhere so far. I tried to bid on three lots of 300 NOS Winchester 158 gr JSP projectiles on Gunbroker the other day and they went for 0.42 per bullet! Anyone here know of a source? I'd like to get a 357 lever gun but not if I'm stuck with plated bullets. Thanks.
@ar addict had a bunch last year. Try sending him a pm and see if they have any left. They were Noslers and at a great price.

I've never had a problem with round nose bullets in a tubular magazine at least for 30-30.

Depends on the round nose used. If it were more of a lets say 9mm FMJ type I would be leary (more cone shaped) but one more rounded like the 30-30 SP not an issue with me. It really depends on shape vs contact with forward rounds primer upon recoil and how confident you are it wont set one off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top