JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While I am far from old, I am getting to a point of being ready to downsize. I have been looking at some of the stuff I have collected and realize that it is stuff while I may want to use, it is unlikely that I ever will. Life keeps getting busier and we are traveling more and more. We both remote work and want to spend more time on the road.

I am in a good place financially so I would not be selling because I need the money. I would be keeping all of my "core" stuff.

One example is in .30 caliber AP bullets. I have about 400 of these sitting in a box ready to load. They would be handy in a SHTF situation, I am not sure I will ever get around to loading them. While money is not an issue, they are now worth between $400-600 looking at completed auctions on GB. Another is the 3000 cast .38 bullets I have. I had intended to get a nice 6-8" .357 with a 2x scope for fun cheap plinking, well that has been at least 15 years ago. While I do have some .357 guns I have plenty of loaded ammo and if I needed more I would just pick up a couple of boxes of jacketed bullets later in life.

I have also got lots of little odds and ends.

At what point do you start downsizing?

Last Edited:
While I am far from old, I am getting to a point of being ready to downsize. I have been looking at some of the stuff I have collected and realize that it is stuff while I may want to use, it is unlikely that I ever will. Life keeps getting busier and we are traveling more and more.

I am in a good place financially so I would not be selling because I need the money. I would be keeping all of my "core" stuff.

One example is in .30 caliber AP bullets. I have about 400 of these sitting in a box ready to load. They would be handy in a SHTF situation, I am not sure I will ever get around to loading them. While money is not an issue, they are now worth between $400-600 looking at completed auctions on GB. Another is the 3000 cast .38 bullets I have. I had intended to get a nice 6-8" .357 with a 2x scope for fun cheap plinking, well that has been at least 15 years ago. While I do have some .357 guns I have plenty of loaded ammo and if I needed more I would just pick up a couple of boxes of jacketed bullets later in life.

Me and the wife are empty-nesters, and are about to purge stuff as well.

My guiding rule is if I didn't even remember I had it, or haven't even thought about it for 1-2 years…. It goes.

That's a "guiding rule", not a "law". I've already tossed dismantled power tools (leaf blowers, chain saws, weed-wackers, hedge trimmers, etc) that have been sitting out in my garden shed "awaiting repairs" for at LEAST the last three years, and since I bought all new Stihl gas powered and E-go cordless equipment to replace them there was no point.

I'm about to get SERIOUSLY brutal culling stuff out in my workshop! I have to walk through "isles" of random "rems" from past projects.

Guns & ammo? I don't sell guns & ammo, I only buy them…. so I suppose my post was of no help to you, LOL!

When the desire to get rid of stuff gets bigger than the desire to not deal with it I'll get rid of the stuff. Right now I'd rather not deal with it. I do look at what people are getting for stuff and look at my stash and think Hmm.

I first downsized a ways back....
In order to focus on my first love in firearms , muzzle loaders.

I also downsized when the worthless BGC for private sales law passed...
Finding a FFL who does private party transfers , as well as one who does not charge an exorbitant amount , has curtailed my used firearm buying.

Downsized again when ammo prices rose...
Never thought I'd see the day when bricks of .22LR are $50 or more...and .30-30 ammo is going for $30 and up.
And yes I know about re-loading...I have done so...but that also takes time and money...
Both of which I wish to spend elsewhere.

Downsizing makes sense if your needs or interests change.
Andy

Never thought I'd see the day when bricks of .22LR are $50 or more...and .30-30 ammo is going for $30 and up.
+1

It got hard to drift away from core calibers because of this.

Primers alone are the reason I dropped a lot of bulk loading stuff. Gone are the days of plinking with 223/556 or 9mm. Especially when the primer itself might be as high as $0.15.

Not to mention the ever looming 114. If that gets through, I'll be joining the others that will likely try to offload a bunch of stuff before it becomes much more difficult to do so.

As soon as you think you'll never use it.
^ This, more or less.

I suppose everyone has their reasons. For myself, the time and monetary investment no longer made sense, and I (generally) am not finding shooting all that fun. Maybe after I wrap up a final project, and avoid the temptation for another that has been gurgling for a while, I'll just let it sit for a while and circle back.

That is not to say that I don't consider home defense and preparedness (which includes firearms, parts, and training time) important — they are. Or that there's been any major change in absolute commitment to defending our RKBA, because, if anything, I'm more sure of that than ever.

Sometimes just taking a break from something isn't a bad call and reevaluate later. In almost everything, there is an ebb and flow.

Best of wishes. :)

Finding a FFL who does private party transfers , as well as one who does not charge an exorbitant amount , has curtailed my used firearm buying.

And yes I know about re-loading...I have done so...but that also takes time and money...

Andy
You have a hot tub….. I can tell. o_O

;):D

^ This, more or less.

I suppose everyone has their reasons. For myself, the time and monetary investment no longer made sense, and I (generally) am not finding shooting all that fun. Maybe after I wrap up a final project, and avoid the temptation for another that has been gurgling for a while, I'll just let it sit for a while and circle back.

That is not to say that I don't consider home defense and preparedness (which includes firearms, parts, and training time) important — they are. Or that there's been any major change in absolute commitment to defending our RKBA, because, if anything, I'm more sure of that than ever.

Sometimes just taking a break from something isn't a bad call and reevaluate later. In almost everything, there is an ebb and flow.

Best of wishes. :)
Me and the wife are really starting to look into homesteading more and more. Our focus is somewhat changing. Producing food and gardening have always been a part of what I enjoy. Land and freedom are s what we are missing. So we are looking at land. That, and I really have what I want. No jokes I have a fantastic collection of fascinating historical guns. I like that. Practical, not really. But for me I don't need to dispose of it so I don't

+1

It got hard to drift away from core calibers because of this.

Primers alone are the reason I dropped a lot of bulk loading stuff. Gone are the days of plinking with 223/556 or 9mm. Especially when the primer itself might be as high as $0.15.
I reload what I shoot less of in a session. Which means my primers tend to go to the big guns. If 9mm is the same rough cost to reload as 454 I am loading 454. I can burn through 1000 9mm in an afternoon and my shoulder be okay. the big guns I shoot 20-50 and I am done.

While I am far from old, I am getting to a point of being ready to downsize. I have been looking at some of the stuff I have collected and realize that it is stuff while I may want to use, it is unlikely that I ever will. Life keeps getting busier and we are traveling more and more. We both remote work and want to spend more time on the road.

Lots of people sell their firearms and NOT because they need the money. A lot of people think that is the reason for selling but that is NOT always the case in most circumstances contrary to popular opinion on some gun boards.

This goes for Gun Related STUFF from a to z and MANY other things in their home, garage, barn, work shop, etc. too. The many other things may have nothing to do with GUNS too.

SELL what you do not use, rarely shoot, changed to another type of firearm - like it more (?) or if you want to try something else without ADDING more to your gun safe/gun cabinet or collection.

KEEP what you do use on a regular basis and still love to shoot.

Gift what you want to gift NOW if you are an older person or even younger instead of just putting SAID ITEM in YOUR WILL. However the laws apply in your state and for YOU and the person receiving the gift.

KEEP the factory ammunition and any other supplies that you KNOW that you will use and SELL the rest even if you DO store it properly (Always did!) in a climate controlled area, keep it CLEAN, etc.

You can GIFT some of those items to someone who may need it, want it, and will use it but they came upon rough times. A Veteran, someone recovering from a cancer scare or some other health issue, someone with children - middle class, a young person starting out as a Newbie that you KNOW WELL, someone who needs a HAND UP so they can go hunting/fishing and not just a hand OUT, etc.

There are tons of reasons on why some people SELL.

They are a Minimalist at heart in firearms and when it comes to other things aka STUFF in their lives.

Health issues - horrific accidents/falls/etc. AND aging issues combined with OLD accident issues. They don't shoot the bigger calibers any longer and they may have some range of motion issues. Work related physical issues that hurt their hands, wrists and arms even with repeated surgeries AND physical therapy.

MOVING! Downsizing in ALL THINGS from a to z!

Moving and traveling. Living in a motor home, travel trailer, sail boat or power boat, etc.

MOVING in state or thousands of miles away (Still in the USA.) and some people (EX Pats!) moving overseas, etc.

Moving while you are still healthy and get around to do things.

STAYING ACTIVE emotionally and physically and interested in living your own LIFE. It is your life and NO one else's life - live it (Yes!) or live for someone else (?!?) - no thank you. Live your life and don't roll over and DIE wishing that you had done x, y or z but never took a chance to do it as long as you were using your brains and common sense. As long as you were using your OWN money and not on any person's dime or as a leech.

MOVING to a smaller space due to the simplification of keeping up a MUCH smaller home, due to never having children (Me as an example = zero children.) or if you had some children - they are gone and grown up, becoming a widow (Me = years ago.), moving to fulfill a dream to 2 states that never happened with your late loved one - spouse due to his early death, moving for a new job and NOT wanting to deal with a huge hassle in MOVING to a new place, being in the military and moving overseas (Another country.) or living on ship and barely making it to your 'home' or family if you still have some family ALIVE or left.

NOT wanting to pay for storage units (REFUSING to ever do this ever in your life!) and ALL of that salami where people WASTE A LOT OF MONEY ON since they can't make a decision or barely have TIME to sort through, sell, donate, gift or trash and meanwhile their STUFF GETS RUINED sitting in some storage unit.

Plus the FEES END UP COSTING THEM MORE than what their STUFF is or was worth from the gitgo or OVER TIME as in months/years.

I do realize that some people do not have the time to do this and they stick their STUFF in some unit but they never go back and FINISH up the job for various reasons. Some of their reasons may be VALID to them and some may not but months/years go by and they WASTE A LOT of money in those units. That is their decision and not mine but I would NEVER EVER do this.

Downsizing in all firearm STUFF and caliber CONSOLIDATION in ALL calibers due to using the KISS METHOD.

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid. IT is an old saying and I am not calling you or any person 'stupid' when I say it.

This KISS METHOD equals LESS factory shotgun, RF and CF ammunition in a whole bunch of EXTRA gauges and calibers AND less reloading supplies IF you do reload.

ESPECIALLY if you do not use or shoot them even if you thought that you would! But it NEVER EVER happened! This means that what you do decide to KEEP and USE gets used on a regular basis and you may be able to stock UP more in those specific items IF you choose to do this.

Easier to store, keep up your inventory that suits YOU not someone else's idea of what THEY think that you should have/shoot/own. Easier to keep track of inventory wise and IF you should MOVE - it will be much easier on YOU down the road in MY opinion.

Change of mind in what suits YOU and maybe SOME of your tastes in firearms have changed over time.

You may discover that you like B/P firearms more or RF shooting more even if you shot a LOT of CF in various firearms but still shot MUCH, much MORE in YOUR RF handguns/rifles over the years.

NO one has an answer for YOU but you. We can give you ideas and our opinions but you know what they say about opinions! We all have them. Grin.

I know what worked for ME. There are STILL some things that I wish that I could still shoot but I can't due to my physical issues. That does not mean that I did not still ADORE WHAT I OWNED, shot and carried. I did.

But when they don't get used or shot less over time - I gift or sell.

I am a GIFT or SELL lady when it comes to STUFF in my life from a to z. Donate lady too. I am picky on what group, charity or Church that I donate too.

NOT just in firearms but in ALL THINGS in my life. I do what works for ME. I don't force what I chose or still choose for ME to my MT husband. I did not do this with my late husband. Neither man would have stood for that salami! I would not have stood for that salami if they did that to me too!

I know what worked for my late husband.

I know what worked and still works for my MT husband.

My last 2 firearms - 2 sweet CZ bolt action rifles (22lr and 22wmr.) with IRON SIGHTS were gifted to my husband but I still USE them on and off.

I did this with a BUNCH of my former knives. Gifts to him, to some relatives and to some friends who actually WANTED them. Some of them had NO interest in our knives even expensive - historical and modern ones.

BOTH of us did this with some of our knives and we made gifts - donations to charities too. Vet groups and soup kitchens/shelters for Veterans.

We sold firearms, sold knives and changed his and her firearms around too.

We gifted some firearms too.

He donated a BUNCH of holsters that he did not sell with a GUN too. The charity was very grateful and he made a LIST FOR THEM on what was what when it came to holsters, knives, etc. ADDED more here.

My husband made a LOT of gifts to his friends with some reloading supplies and some factory ammo including a BIG STASH of shotgun shells (600 or so?) to one Nam Vet and CLOSE friend. Plus he gave the same friend a BUNCH (Several thousand.) of small handgun primers since he NO longer reloads for smaller caliber handguns and about 10 good METAL military ammunition cans.

He sold a bunch too. NOT some crazy jacked up price. IT was all in good condition too.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

Last Edited:
Lots of people sell their firearms and NOT because they need the money. A lot of people think that is the reason for selling but that is NOT always the case in most circumstances contrary to popular opinion on some gun boards.

This goes for Gun Related STUFF from a to z and MANY other things in their home, garage, barn, work shop, etc. too. The many other things may have nothing to do with GUNS too.

SELL what you do not use, rarely shoot, changed to another type of firearm - like it more (?) or if you want to try something else without ADDING more to your gun safe/gun cabinet or collection.

KEEP what you do use on a regular basis and still love to shoot.

Gift what you want to gift NOW if you are an older person or even younger instead of just putting SAID ITEM in YOUR WILL. However the laws apply in your state and for YOU and the person receiving the gift.

KEEP the factory ammunition and any other supplies that you KNOW that you will use and SELL the rest even if you DO store it properly (Always did!) in a climate controlled area, keep it CLEAN, etc.

You can GIFT some of those items to someone who may need it, want it, and will use it but they came upon rough times. A Veteran, someone recovering from a cancer scare or some other health issue, someone with children - middle class, a young person starting out as a Newbie that you KNOW WELL, someone who needs a HAND UP so they can go hunting/fishing and not just a hand OUT, etc.

There are tons of reasons on why some people SELL.

They are a Minimalist at heart in firearms and when it comes to other things aka STUFF in their lives.

Health issues - horrific accidents/falls/etc. AND aging issues combined with OLD accident issues. They don't shoot the bigger calibers any longer and they may have some range of motion issues. Work related physical issues that hurt their hands, wrists and arms even with repeated surgeries AND physical therapy.

MOVING! Downsizing in ALL THINGS from a to z!

Moving and traveling. Living in a motor home, travel trailer, sail boat or power boat, etc.

MOVING in state or thousands of miles away (Still in the USA.) and some people (EX Pats!) moving overseas, etc.

Moving while you are still healthy and get around to do things.

STAYING ACTIVE emotionally and physically and interested in living your own LIFE. It is your life and NO one else's life - live it (Yes!) or live for someone else (?!?) - no thank you. Live your life and don't roll over and DIE wishing that you had done x, y or z but never took a chance to do it as long as you were using your brains and common sense. As long as you were using your OWN money and not on any person's dime or as a leech.

MOVING to a smaller space due to the simplification of keeping up a MUCH smaller home, due to never having children (Me as an example = zero children.) or if you had some children - they are gone and grown up, becoming a widow (Me = years ago.), moving to fulfill a dream to 2 states that never happened with your late loved one - spouse due to his early death, moving for a new job and NOT wanting to deal with a huge hassle in MOVING to a new place, being in the military and moving overseas (Another country.) or living on ship and barely making it to your 'home' or family if you still have some family ALIVE or left.

NOT wanting to pay for storage units (REFUSING to ever do this ever in your life!) and ALL of that salami where people WASTE A LOT OF MONEY ON since they can't make a decision or barely have TIME to sort through, sell, donate, gift or trash and meanwhile their STUFF GETS RUINED sitting in some storage unit.

Plus the FEES END UP COSTING THEM MORE than what their STUFF is or was worth from the gitgo or OVER TIME as in months/years.

I do realize that some people do not have the time to do this and they stick their STUFF in some unit but they never go back and FINISH up the job for various reasons. Some of their reasons may be VALID to them and some may not but months/years go by and they WASTE A LOT of money in those units. That is their decision and not mine but I would NEVER EVER do this.

Downsizing in all firearm STUFF and caliber CONSOLIDATION in ALL calibers due to using the KISS METHOD.

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid. IT is an old saying and I am not calling you or any person 'stupid' when I say it.

This KISS METHOD equals LESS factory shotgun, RF and CF ammunition in a whole bunch of EXTRA gauges and calibers AND less reloading supplies IF you do reload.

ESPECIALLY if you do not use or shoot them even if you thought that you would! But it NEVER EVER happened! This means that what you do decide to KEEP and USE gets used on a regular basis and you may be able to stock UP more in those specific items IF you choose to do this.

Easier to store, keep up your inventory that suits YOU not someone else's idea of what THEY think that you should have/shoot/own. Easier to keep track of inventory wise and IF you should MOVE - it will be much easier on YOU down the road in MY opinion.

Change of mind in what suits YOU and maybe SOME of your tastes in firearms have changed over time.

You may discover that you like B/P firearms more or RF shooting more even if you shot a LOT of CF in various firearms but still shot MUCH, much MORE in YOUR RF handguns/rifles over the years.

NO one has an answer for YOU but you. We can give you ideas and our opinions but you know what they say about opinions! We all have them. Grin.

I know what worked for ME. There are STILL some things that I wish that I could still shoot but I can't due to my physical issues. That does not mean that I did not still ADORE WHAT I OWNED, shot and carried. I did.

But when they don't get used or shot less over time - I gift or sell.

I am a GIFT or SELL lady when it comes to STUFF in my life from a to z. Donate lady too. I am picky on what group, charity or Church that I donate too.

NOT just in firearms but in ALL THINGS in my life. I do what works for ME. I don't force what I chose or still choose for ME to my MT husband. I did not do this with my late husband. Neither man would have stood for that salami! I would not have stood for that salami if they did that to me too!

I know what worked for my late husband.

I know what worked and still works for my MT husband.

My last 2 firearms - 2 sweet CZ bolt action rifles (22lr and 22wmr.) with IRON SIGHTS were gifted to my husband but I still USE them on and off.

I did this with a BUNCH of my former knives. Gifts to him, to some relatives and to some friends who actually WANTED them. Some of them had NO interest in our knives even expensive - historical and modern ones.

BOTH of us did this with some of our knives and we made gifts - donations to charities too. Vet groups and soup kitchens/shelters for Veterans.

We sold firearms, sold knives and changed his and her firearms around too.

We gifted some firearms too.

My husband made a LOT of gifts to his friends with some reloading supplies and some factory ammo including a BIG STASH of shotgun shells (600 or so?) to one Nam Vet and CLOSE friend. Plus he gave the same friend a BUNCH (Several thousand.) of small handgun primers since he NO longer reloads for smaller caliber handguns and about 10 good METAL military ammunition cans.

He sold a bunch too. NOT some crazy jacked up price. IT was all in good condition too.

Best wishes to you!

Cate
PS:

My husband still reloads and he has since the early 70's.

He still reloads for ALL of his CF rifles that are here now = far LESS calibers total.

30-30 Winchester (For now.) Some specific factory ammunition is here for this rifle now too.

30-06

45-70 Government

He reloads for one 45acp pistol.

He buys factory ammunition for his .380 acp pistol.

He no longer owns a shotgun. He stopped reloading for shotguns a LONG, long time ago too.

I never owned a shotgun too. I never did buy one.

He even switched his RF ammunition around too.

Since I shoot far LESS now... he bought more in 22lr HP ammunition and sold his and hers 22lr RN ammo.

I was okay with this plan of his. WE discussed it ahead of time since he wanted to go to more HP ammo in 22lr.

I gave him almost ALL but a small amount of 22lr and 22wmr ammo of mine too.

My husband has been shooting 22lr rifles and a couple of 22lr handguns MORE now too.

Old Lady Cate

Andy
This too!

Andy, I never did reload. I was thinking about doing this with my late husband but it never happened.

I have NO desire to reload NOW or after he died.

I am not knocking people who choose to do this. I support my MT husband and even helped him find some items and items for our friends who CHOOSE to reload too.

I have NO desire to 'cast bullets' even though my MT husband did that for a LONG time, many years, and he still has all of his older and newer equipment to do this.

Heck, I even got him a wedding gift of 'casting' STUFF and some reloading STUFF too. LOL He told me what IT was since I was IGNORANT in that STUFF aka equipment.

Cate

Last Edited:
I'm a constant downsizer. If I look at it in the safe when I plan to go out, but don't take it after several trips, it's probably time to go. I do think constantly on what in my collection I really want to keep.

I've been having the debate of dropping my .357 in favor of a 9mm snub nose. As well as downsizing my 5.56 options in favor of more blackout. The flip side is those are good, common calibers to have "just in case." I have moved on from the AR10 platform.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top