Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

When things go wrong fast...are you prepared?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by donovan, Jan 7, 2015.

1. donovan

donovan Eugene, OR Member

When things go wrong fast...are you prepared?

What is your go to weapon system?
    Are you as proficient as you should be with it?
    Do you have your CHL?
    Have you been to any class's that will help expand your knowledge base, proficiency, and that have pushed you to be better?

2. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Before all that, I would prepare mentally and have some ROE to help identify when to get in the game and when to retreat - all depending upon local laws. That said, I would have first in your list a good defense attorney on retainer.

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Weapon of choice is a rifle but you can't carry one of those anywhere you want to go.:D So I guess in a fast action moment I would live or die with my choice of handgun for the day.o_O

4. donovan

I agree your mental state needs to be right but I would take it a step further and say it should already be right before you buy a firearm in the first place.
    It is never a bad idea to have ROE's and an attorney on retainer.

With the thought of living or dying by the handgun of your choice 2 things come to mind
    1. Do you feel your as proficient as you should be?
    2. what kind of rounds do you carry and how much of it do you have?

5. Just Jim

:D Who measures proficiency? There are lots of people better with a gun than I am. I found that out by going to shooting matches for years and years. I guess in life a man will figure out if he practiced enough:D

I don't need to stockpile ammo because I make my own. It's been the same loaded target ammo I have used for decades. It cuts a perfect circle and has dropped small game very effectively. If I die tomorrow there won't be much loaded ammo to sell:D

AMProducts likes this.
  6. donovan

In my opinion part of being prepared is knowing your proficiencies and deficiencies and doing what you can to be the best version of your self.....so I would say that in day to day life you have to measure your self and be honest about it.
    As far as the ammo comment I meant to say how many rounds do you carrie on your person.

7. Just Jim

Two extra mags or two extra speed loaders when I carry. 18 to 22 rounds in total.

I think the only real way to measure yourself is in a real fight. When the bullets or bombs come your way it will show you exactly how you are going to react.o_O

mjbskwim likes this.
  8. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Yes

salmonriverjohn, U201491 and Stomper like this.
  9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Just Jim, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. As for how you react under fire, some days will be better than others. ;)

salmonriverjohn and Sstrand like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This thread has needled me into one decision! Tomorrow, first item, is go find another 8rnd mag for my Sig P290rs! Maybe two.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  11. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

2 extra mags for a total of 45 of .380 hollows as my EDC in a Bersa Thunder+. And yes the cup is current.

The GHB in the rig has fully equipped with enough gear and thought to carry me through at least three days. An additional one in the work truck as well.

Training? About a lifetimes worth of common sense real life experience, not to mention plenty of formal hands on taxpayer paid stuff.

@ home? Well that's my business isn't it?

As far as legalities go, I personally have no worries about that as I'm not looking to go there. If that time comes, I'll just have to cross that bridge I guess.

We're pretty much ready for any long or short term natural disasters on the home front, and that's as far as I'll go there.

12. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The only thing I fear is chaos breaking faster than my wife and I's ability to get home. Not that either of us work far from home.

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Widespread catastrophic SHTF events (save earthquakes or a "dirty bomb" type event of course) rarely occur instantaneously to the point that you don't first have a clue to avoid or G.O.D. (Get Out Of Dodge)

That being said, I get the impression the OP was talking more about training on selection of kit, personal motor skills, and threat recognition on when/where to deploy your CCW (or not). ;)

14. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

All I need to survive are my hands and brain.

A knife would be nice.

15. donovan

When your carrying a firearm it is more about thinking than shooting. however having a firearm helps. I have heard some say "dont take a knife into a gunfight" lets change it up and say "bring a knife to a gunfight but also bring a gun"

Sgt Nambu, salmonriverjohn and MikeE like this.
  16. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

When things go wrong fast...are you prepared? Most likely not. Spend a lot of time at work and where I work I'm not able to carry any sort of weapon (not going to argue any of this, I've made the choice to work where I do and part of that is my agreement I will not be armed).

What is your go to weapon system? When not at work I've always got a little Glock with me.

How many rounds do you carry on your person? Depends on the gun. Always at least one spare magazine, so anywhere from 23 to 32-rounds.

Are you as proficient as you should be with it? I don't think so.

Do you have your CHL? Yes.

Have you been to any class's that will help expand your knowledge base, proficiency, and that have pushed you to be better? Yes, but I am most definitely not a master of anything. I can shoot OK (or so I think) but can always use more training and practice.

308 likes this.
  17. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

18. YOURSUPREMECOMMANDER

YOURSUPREMECOMMANDER Raleigh Hills, Or. Active Member

Ya got's ta get ya mind right!

19. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I shave my head (for her comfort) so I am very smooth, I roll quickly from side to side, stay off social media so my head is up and on a swivel. As a result I'll see it coming before most and deploy my swimmers' body to controlling terrain and dominate my AO like the true Operator that I am. ;):rolleyes::p

20. cooperritchey

cooperritchey molalla OR Member

I look at survival as surviving with just the clothes on your back, a bug out bag are just things to help you on the way.