JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now we learn the statute of limits in CA is 3 years? Is this true? If so, then by legal definition the gun is no longer considered stolen in CA? And if that is true why or how would YOUR Sheriff become involved?
Gun is still stolen regardless of statute of limitations. All the statute of limitations means is that they can't press criminal charges against the person after the period of time. As for why his sheriff became involved, its because it entered their jurisdiction.

Respectfully. ...

Something does not add up here. Another state after how many years? Why/how would your Sheriff know or even care? Unless of course the gun was "collectable" in the eyes of certain individuals.

How can your Sheriff even prove the gun was stolen? I am thinking scam here. Yes that is paranoid but it fits.

If the insurance in CA paid off on the gun, just then who does the gun belong to? Not the owner in CA. Perhaps the insurance company? I still am having problems burning through selective "collectablity".

Now we learn the statute of limits in CA is 3 years? Is this true? If so, then by legal definition the gun is no longer considered stolen in CA? And if that is true why or how would YOUR Sheriff become involved?

I would have asked the Sheriff to provide documentation to you and your lawyer before I turned over anything. To have the Sheriff threaten to "come out and pick the gun up" would not work.

... Except as a scam? Respectfully.

I considered the scam possibility also. One of the reasons I asked for the week before I dropped off the gun. The Sheriff did email me the crime report done by the LEO's in California. Sounded like a rather ugly burglary, done at night with family in the house. Four firearms were stolen as well as jewelry and a VCR. Doubt they are still looking for the VCR;).

The crime report had my 6" Python listed with the correct serno. I triple-double checked.

I plan to call KingCo Sheriff to follow up, and keep my name in the hat if the gun doesn't head out to some far away place. I told Diane at Pinto's I'd gladly pay her for the gun a second time if I can get it back!

If the gun was un stolen through an insurance adjustment, is the gun still stolen? How would the stolen gun enter into the local Sheriffs jurisdiction after all that time? Why was not the data base updated? How accurate is that data base? Finally .... why would the local Sheriff even care? Seems like a waste of resources to me. Which leads still to my first thought. Is this revolver collect able? And to whom?

Who would end up with the revolver? The insurance company? The original owner? Or some sheriffs deputy or Chief? Or would the gun be destroyed or auctioned off? If auctioned off does that imply the Sheriff also stole the gun?

The sheriff would still have to show some sort of paper trail to even consider wasting resources going out and collecting an allegedly stolen piece of property? The Sheriff would know this. I would have turned the revolver over to my attorney? Would he take it? Would my attorney want to get involved? I have a big problem with Cops just seizing personal property without due process or any kind of warrant. So much does not add up.

Respectfully.

Insurance pays it off if its covered. Doesn't mean its no longer stolen. Once stolen its stolen. What happens to stolen guns? Well... If it doesn't go back to the original owner, got a sad ending for ya.

Respectfully. ...

Something does not add up here. Another state after how many years? Why/how would your Sheriff know or even care? Unless of course the gun was "collectable" in the eyes of certain individuals.

How can your Sheriff even prove the gun was stolen? I am thinking scam here. Yes that is paranoid but it fits.

If the insurance in CA paid off on the gun, just then who does the gun belong to? Not the owner in CA. Perhaps the insurance company? I still am having problems burning through selective "collectablity".

I would have asked the Sheriff to provide documentation to you and your lawyer before I turned over anything. To have the Sheriff threaten to "come out and pick the gun up" would not work.

... Except as a scam? Respectfully.
Or:
Considering the incredible appreciation in value since 1990, someone may be severely lamenting it's thus seeking efforts to reclaim.
I would.
Regular pestering of authorities could keep, records active or even reactivate a case.
Statute of limitations on the thief's culpability may have expired, but I'm not sure property rights are so easily dismissed. I would hope not.

I had a NIB original Ruger RST4 shipped by ffl Washington to my Oregon ffl almost 2 years ago confiscated before I took possession. Stolen Texas nearly 30 years ago. Seller refunded my $. He lost his investment. No charges to anyone. Local police shipped to originatng LEO.

Jeeze, olddan, I'm so sorry that you had to experience such a rotten situation! Colt Python, I'd be just sick about it!

I've had three guns stolen in one burglary.

1. A S&W m17 in .22 rimfire.
2. A S&W m19 snubby in .357M.
3. A S&W m 39 in 9mm.

These were all beautiful guns and I still miss them! I got the m39 back about six years later. Some menace to society had trashed it badly! After I picked it up at the police property room I called the insurance co. and informed them that I had their pistol, they sent an employee to pick it up.
I offered to buy it back but the arrogant little poo head informed me that the company would have it "professionally" destroyed!
"We take returned guns off the street!" He told me! This is common practice among the insurance industry.
Again, sorry for the loss, may you find an even nicer one, less expensive even! :)

speaking of theft of guns about 15 years ago a slime mold in the night broke in and stole a bunch of my cowboy guns. Among my most treasured pistols was a 4 digit 1st year second generation Colt SAA. Although severely cosmetically challenged, it had been slicked up perfectly and what was the best action and trigger on any gun I've ever had. Some unknown highly skilled 'smith along the way had put a subtle but very visible gold bead front bead that was somehow a magic visual aide. There were a number of other revolvers & accessories, as well as a now perfectly tuned AWA Lightning Pump clone carbine as well. That baby had 4 trips back to the factory but finally was slick and right.

Sad to lose them.

Last Edited:
Jeeze, olddan, I'm so sorry that you had to experience such a rotten situation! Colt Python, I'd be just sick about it!

I've had three guns stolen in one burglary.

1. A S&W m17 in .22 rimfire.
2. A S&W m19 snubby in .357M.
3. A S&W m 39 in 9mm.

These were all beautiful guns and I still miss them! I got the m39 back about six years later. Some menace to society had trashed it badly! After I picked it up at the police property room I called the insurance co. and informed them that I had their pistol, they sent an employee to pick it up.
I offered to buy it back but the arrogant little poo head informed me that the company would have it "professionally" destroyed!
"We take returned guns off the street!" He told me! This is common practice among the insurance industry.
Again, sorry for the loss, may you find an even nicer one, less expensive even! :)

I would rather give the insurance people the money back than give up the gun. With interest even.

I have a friend who got his house broken into and lost a few guns including a .22 WMR revolver. He filed all the reports and an insurance claim. Fast forward some 14 years later and he's at home working on a project in his garage. A King county sheriff rolls up in his driveway. He was surprised and thankful that they returned his revolver to him. He had pretty much forgotten about it at that point. Was found in a meth house bust out in Bonney Lake.

So this thread begs a question - is there a cutoff point where the "right" thing to do is call the insurance company if a claim is paid then the gun gets recovered? Insurance companies write claims off as a loss thus mitigating their expense to an extint - not to mention they may raise your rates after a large claim. If a gun is recovered 1 year later - 5 years - 10, 15, or in this case over 20 ywars after the claim was paid out when is your moral obligation to the insurer over if that gun is recovered? If they were acquired by another company or go bankrupt is their claim to recovered property absolved?

I think a sizeable chunk of people would keep the gun and keep their mouth shut, a small portion would give the recovered gun back, a larger group than that would give the money back if the gun was at least worth saving - but at what point would you guys decide to become a member of the keep it & don't tell the insurer crowd?

"I offered to buy it back but the arrogant little poo head informed me thatthe company would have it "professionally" destroyed!
"We take returned guns off the street!" He told me! This is common practice among the insurance industry."

It would be interesting to ask him if they destroy returned cars or jewelry also, or if it's just guns because they're so bad.

Bunch of stinking hypocrites. They'll insure them because they make money at it, but they get all PC and self-righteous with recovered guns.

Sorry you lost the Colt. I hate thieves. The silver lining is that you did buy it from a reputable shop and they took the financial hit. Had you purchased from an individual you may have been out the pistol and the cash. Sorry again for your loss.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top