JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now if you had said my favorite......

size_matters_16391.jpg

size_matters_16391.jpg

Just 1 rifle? You got to be kidding me. Who just has 1 rifle? If I had to choose, it would have to be my pre 64 model 70 270 fwt glass bedded into a hunters compact Mcmillan stock. Excellent shooter and handles great:

That or the 338 win mag in my avatar...

IMG_0713_zps50bb6547.jpg

Caliber would have to be a .308 Winchester. Makes the best sense when you consider knock-down power and a compact cartridge that's quick to chamber and easy to carry.

I like .308's, have several, but this is more fun:
DSCF0015-1.jpg
DSCF0016-1.jpg

My Winchester 1885 in 6.5 TCU, with a 22 inch barrel. The scope is forward mounted to keep the gun handy and get it away from the loading port. Also it is only a 200yd deer gun, so a scout scope is good enough. The bullets are Speer 120gr Hot Cores fired into water-filled milk jugs.

However if fighting was on the menu it would probably be my FNAR.

Last Edited:
I know I am behind the times... I dont have an AR or AK (yes I would like to try one out at some point) but I am a levergun guy at heart, I would have to say that my choice would be my Marlin 1895SBL WWG take down. I hate to be with only 1 so I could sneak in the Marlin 39D take down as well. They will both fit into a back pack

20151129_192744_zpsofrlasap.jpg
20151129_193038_zpscxg01ej7.jpg

I have more lever guns but these 2 are the easiest to carry undetected... and the 45-70 will blow lengthwise through a buffalo if I use my 540gr Tombstone bullets.
535grvs45acp_zpsc83c8975.jpg

Noticed very few picked a 30-06.

Regular ammo will go straight thru level 3 body armor and out the other side.

Kinda negates the whole 40lbs of armor some would be walking in.

30-06 is nice, was thinking of getting one (still do).

Course, I'm still a semiauto with detachable mag kind of guy. So the 30-06 I'd get would mostly be for fun. Can't afford a BAR and don't care for the Remington.

! I do not have any problem with any of the rifles any one has mentioned here on this thread! I tend to look at this as a SHTF walk out/bugg out kind of deal. My ideal setup is a layered pack out. A pistol, a .22 cal bolt action, and a battle rifle! I also keep the ammo load out to a reasonable amount. I like to be quick and mobile. If I had time to load gear and bugg, then I would only add one high power to my set up, and that would be my Marlin 1895 lever action .45/70. Any centerfire rifle is going to work and if you do your job, it will do it's!

I dont need another rifle but I want one! so I have been contemplating 3 different cartridges,
300WM

Maybe you all here could help me decide which one to get? I have been thinking on this for the last year and still have not decided... And what rifle would you get for your choice?

Until a couple weeks ago it would have been my Trapper .357 - now it's the Henry. Can't get over the versatility of the .38/.357 and the availability of ammo nearly everywhere - in some form anyway.

Don't have one but if I did ...........
Other than that a .270, great ballistics flat shooting and take down anything a 06 can without the punishment and can be loaded for varmints too.
Gabby

I dont need another rifle but I want one! so I have been contemplating 3 different cartridges,
300WM

Maybe you all here could help me decide which one to get? I have been thinking on this for the last year and still have not decided... And what rifle would you get for your choice?

I generally go with the .308. Either a nice AR-10/.308 AR or a FAL.

Noticed very few picked a 30-06.

Regular ammo will go straight thru level 3 body armor and out the other side.

Kinda negates the whole 40lbs of armor some would be walking in.

In a quick second my suggestion would be a pre 64 style control feed Winchester model 70 in 30-06.
But that's just me.

I would have said 30-06, but the OP wanted our choice of "perfect" centerfire rifle. I guess now that I think about it, what's more perfect than the good ol 30-06.....:

This one is my baby and it shoots lights out too. Pretty surprising to get this kind of accuracy from a fwt rifle. An old one at that:

Another oddball 30-06 I really like is this one:

It doesn't shoot as well as the pre 64 model 70 though:

IMG_0275_zpsglfipjjb.jpg 013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg DSC00148_zpsa4an7frv.jpg IMG_0408_zpsc3aye4wg.jpg IMG_0410_zps6elebum8.jpg

TM Salem,
What are you going to to do with this rifle?
Where are you shooting this rifle?
Depending on your usage , one of your choices might be better suited than another.

That being said , I find the .30-06 hard to beat for just about any use.
All kinds of rifles are made in this cartridge.
Ammo selection is plentiful.
Ammo selection is not only plentiful , but a variety of it is found.
Which can be useful if your favored round is not in stock , you can find a different one that is close to it in performance.
Reloading gear abounds as well.
The cost of a rifle in this caliber is often more affordable.
Both new and used rifles in 06 are easily found.
This cartridge is a proved performer on game around the world.

The .308 is a very useful cartridge as well.
Much if not all of what I said in favor of the .30.06 can be said of the .308 Winchester.

I have little experience with the .300WM so I can't say much other than it was loud and heavy in the rifle I shot it in.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class