JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now if you had said my favorite......

size_matters_16391.jpg

size_matters_16391.jpg

Just 1 rifle? You got to be kidding me. Who just has 1 rifle? If I had to choose, it would have to be my pre 64 model 70 270 fwt glass bedded into a hunters compact Mcmillan stock. Excellent shooter and handles great:

That or the 338 win mag in my avatar...

IMG_0713_zps50bb6547.jpg

Caliber would have to be a .308 Winchester. Makes the best sense when you consider knock-down power and a compact cartridge that's quick to chamber and easy to carry.

I like .308's, have several, but this is more fun:
DSCF0015-1.jpg
DSCF0016-1.jpg

My Winchester 1885 in 6.5 TCU, with a 22 inch barrel. The scope is forward mounted to keep the gun handy and get it away from the loading port. Also it is only a 200yd deer gun, so a scout scope is good enough. The bullets are Speer 120gr Hot Cores fired into water-filled milk jugs.

However if fighting was on the menu it would probably be my FNAR.

Last Edited:
I know I am behind the times... I dont have an AR or AK (yes I would like to try one out at some point) but I am a levergun guy at heart, I would have to say that my choice would be my Marlin 1895SBL WWG take down. I hate to be with only 1 so I could sneak in the Marlin 39D take down as well. They will both fit into a back pack

20151129_192744_zpsofrlasap.jpg
20151129_193038_zpscxg01ej7.jpg

I have more lever guns but these 2 are the easiest to carry undetected... and the 45-70 will blow lengthwise through a buffalo if I use my 540gr Tombstone bullets.
535grvs45acp_zpsc83c8975.jpg

Noticed very few picked a 30-06.

Regular ammo will go straight thru level 3 body armor and out the other side.

Kinda negates the whole 40lbs of armor some would be walking in.

30-06 is nice, was thinking of getting one (still do).

Course, I'm still a semiauto with detachable mag kind of guy. So the 30-06 I'd get would mostly be for fun. Can't afford a BAR and don't care for the Remington.

! I do not have any problem with any of the rifles any one has mentioned here on this thread! I tend to look at this as a SHTF walk out/bugg out kind of deal. My ideal setup is a layered pack out. A pistol, a .22 cal bolt action, and a battle rifle! I also keep the ammo load out to a reasonable amount. I like to be quick and mobile. If I had time to load gear and bugg, then I would only add one high power to my set up, and that would be my Marlin 1895 lever action .45/70. Any centerfire rifle is going to work and if you do your job, it will do it's!

I dont need another rifle but I want one! so I have been contemplating 3 different cartridges,
300WM

Maybe you all here could help me decide which one to get? I have been thinking on this for the last year and still have not decided... And what rifle would you get for your choice?

Until a couple weeks ago it would have been my Trapper .357 - now it's the Henry. Can't get over the versatility of the .38/.357 and the availability of ammo nearly everywhere - in some form anyway.

Don't have one but if I did ...........
Other than that a .270, great ballistics flat shooting and take down anything a 06 can without the punishment and can be loaded for varmints too.
Gabby

I dont need another rifle but I want one! so I have been contemplating 3 different cartridges,
300WM

Maybe you all here could help me decide which one to get? I have been thinking on this for the last year and still have not decided... And what rifle would you get for your choice?

I generally go with the .308. Either a nice AR-10/.308 AR or a FAL.

Noticed very few picked a 30-06.

Regular ammo will go straight thru level 3 body armor and out the other side.

Kinda negates the whole 40lbs of armor some would be walking in.

In a quick second my suggestion would be a pre 64 style control feed Winchester model 70 in 30-06.
But that's just me.

I would have said 30-06, but the OP wanted our choice of "perfect" centerfire rifle. I guess now that I think about it, what's more perfect than the good ol 30-06.....:

This one is my baby and it shoots lights out too. Pretty surprising to get this kind of accuracy from a fwt rifle. An old one at that:

Another oddball 30-06 I really like is this one:

It doesn't shoot as well as the pre 64 model 70 though:

IMG_0275_zpsglfipjjb.jpg 013_zpsaa2b4d1e.jpg DSC00148_zpsa4an7frv.jpg IMG_0408_zpsc3aye4wg.jpg IMG_0410_zps6elebum8.jpg

TM Salem,
What are you going to to do with this rifle?
Where are you shooting this rifle?
Depending on your usage , one of your choices might be better suited than another.

That being said , I find the .30-06 hard to beat for just about any use.
All kinds of rifles are made in this cartridge.
Ammo selection is plentiful.
Ammo selection is not only plentiful , but a variety of it is found.
Which can be useful if your favored round is not in stock , you can find a different one that is close to it in performance.
Reloading gear abounds as well.
The cost of a rifle in this caliber is often more affordable.
Both new and used rifles in 06 are easily found.
This cartridge is a proved performer on game around the world.

The .308 is a very useful cartridge as well.
Much if not all of what I said in favor of the .30.06 can be said of the .308 Winchester.

I have little experience with the .300WM so I can't say much other than it was loud and heavy in the rifle I shot it in.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews