JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In a quick second my suggestion would be a pre 64 style control feed Winchester model 70 in 30-06.
But that's just me.
A very good choice, in my opinion, too.
However, you'll spend more for one of these just because. I had a very nice Featherweight in 30-06, but I sold it. It was too nice to use hunting without hurting it's considerable value.
A Ruger 77 MKII or Hawkeye has all of the desirable features found on the pre-64 Model 70 at a lot less expense. I like them so much that I bought a 300 Win Mag version to play with while "my" rifle is being rechambered. I've never shot a 300 Win Mag and I'm looking forward to shooting it soon.
That said, see post #19. If I was starting all over again, this is the gun I would buy. I once sold it after receiving what I thought was the cat's meow of rifles for an Anniversary present and bought it back IMMEDIATELY when it came up for sale. While not what most people think of as "heirloom quality", it will be handed down, probably to my grandson. Until then, I've got what I need.

TM Salem,
What are you going to to do with this rifle?
Where are you shooting this rifle?
Depending on your usage , one of your choices might be better suited than another.

That being said , I find the .30-06 hard to beat for just about any use.
All kinds of rifles are made in this cartridge.
Ammo selection is plentiful.
Ammo selection is not only plentiful , but a variety of it is found.
Which can be useful if your favored round is not in stock , you can find a different one that is close to it in performance.
Reloading gear abounds as well.
The cost of a rifle in this caliber is often more affordable.
Both new and used rifles in 06 are easily found.
This cartridge is a proved performer on game around the world.

The .308 is a very useful cartridge as well.
Much if not all of what I said in favor of the .30.06 can be said of the .308 Winchester.

I have little experience with the .300WM so I can't say much other than it was loud and heavy in the rifle I shot it in.
Andy

It would be a general hunting/target shooter.. I have a 7mm Mag, and a 6.5x57 as general hunting rifles but wanted something in 30 caliber. I dont want it to be too light weight as felt recoil goes up with the light rifles. I like classic looks, not into the modern looking stocks, but maybe I should give one a shot??

Maybe its time to explore the AR10?

Maybe its time to explore the AR10?

Only if you're interested in a semiauto. Though of the .308 battle rifles, the AR-10/.308 AR generally recoil better.

Notice the dominance of "hunting" rifles here. this is telling. I would have thunk a fighting rifle would be the first choice for most! Maybe I am the odd one here?

Nope. Why do you think I have an AR-15 and a .308 AR?

Notice the dominance of "hunting" rifles here. this is telling. I would have thunk a fighting rifle would be the first choice for most! Maybe I am the odd one here?

Picked mine because the simplicity of a bolt action gun over rules any advantages a simi-auto gives you if you can only pick one.

Being magazine fed is a huge bonus and if you practice enough with a bolt you can run 10 rounds thru the gun in very little time very accurately.

Perfect center fire rifle? the 30/06 bolt guns so prevalent would not be my idea of perfect. The round yes, the rifles no!!! Perfect all round center fire rifle for every thing, Fighting gun, semi auto, .30 cal, 'nuff said!

I don't fault your line of thought, but it said "perfect for all occasions" and obviously everyone has their own opinion.
Fighting rifle? You bet, AR10 or M14 style makes a lot of sense. I would pick one before a .223 anything.
But not everyone thinks a rifle needs to be for fighting. Also, it takes a heavy bolt gun to weigh as much as an AR10 or M14.

Best centerfire rifle for any occasion?

Weddings, christenings, graduations, funerals, birthday parties, anniversaries...a 357 lever action, blued with a nice wood stock, will go with anything from jeans to a tux.:)

check out these dapper dudes attending their buddy Nick's funeral.... upload_2016-3-24_19-51-6.png

Always looks good.

I don't fault your line of thought, but it said "perfect for all occasions" and obviously everyone has their own opinion.
Fighting rifle? You bet, AR10 or M14 style makes a lot of sense. I would pick one before a .223 anything.
But not everyone thinks a rifle needs to be for fighting. Also, it takes a heavy bolt gun to weigh as much as an AR10 or M14.
I'm trackin with ya.

Again, I see no problem with ANY of the choices here. That we have a choice and the freedoms we have makes us better then the rest of the world. My choice is just that, it may differ from others, but its mine alone!

Again, I see no problem with ANY of the choices here. That we have a choice and the freedoms we have makes us better then the rest of the world. My choice is just that, it may differ from others, but its mine alone!

Yep, and that's the beauty of our Country. :D

DSC06339.jpeg
Well I need to change my response.
In my first post I said my C.Z. 557 Carbine in .30-06.
I traded that C.Z. this past weekend for a like new Remington 03A3.
Even with M2 ball it shot well.
Not bad for a 8-44 dated two groove barrel. LOL
So now that the A3 is my only centerfire rifle it is my "perfect center fire rifle."
Andy

Last Edited:
Remington 7400 in .30-'06 Springfield. 24" barrel (Custom). Lighter bullets reach out to 600 yards, 200 grain bullets still work well at 150-200 yards. Body armor? No problem.

One shot, one kill.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top