JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friendly conversation...OK, I can get behind that.
You're right in that the numbers I came up with do not take into account popularity or "market share" of the calibers listed, so really no conclusion can be reached. They merely reflect a snapshot in time.
I guess I just don't see .40 being sold, nor bought, in any greater or lesser numbers than other calibers, certainly not enough to declare it a definite phenomena.
But its all good. After all, what's more important...WHAT we shoot, or THAT we shoot?
See you at the range...

My only complaint about .40 is that the snappiness of the round aggravates the Hell out of my tendonitis.

I can shoot .45 and 10mm all day long and not have this problem. 200 rounds of .40 and my right wrist is a mess for a week.

Reloading will save you half or more off your ammo costs, depending on how many cases you have stashed away or can scrounge free.

I haven't bothered doing the math in a long time, but it's a LOT cheeaper than newly manufactured ammo. That assumes of course, that your time is worth nothing or you enjoy the whole process.

If you only shoot 100 rounds a month, it's not worth doing financially. If you shoot 100 rounds per WEEK or more, it will save you a BOATLOAD of money very quickly, even with a $600 press and $500 in dies.

Come on, data folks, run the numbers.

Dude, YOU are the person that was so insistent that your premise was valid based upon facts. Yet, now, you are asking for others to prove that your point is either valid or not correct? My goodness gracious!

Great Balls of Fire!

2841154591_005b01b8da.jpg

Your fervor, Lance Jacobs, is confounding. Why do you seem to be taking our little conversation about my informal observations so personally. You just arrived to NWFA 3 months ago, had one successful transaction and are, quite literally, flaming me for my question to you and others whether people are seeing something I feel like I'm seeing? If you disagree with my sincere opinions, then go ahead and state your own opinion.

Did you see how nicely Meridian played? It is no surprise to me that he has 50 awesome transactions and has been here playing nicely for 4 years.

IM glad 40is around. I think for a lot of people, the 40 is a snappy round compared to 45 or 9. A lot don't like that snap. I see 40 affecting shooters in a bad way, If someone is having issues with marksmanship, maybe switching to a 9 will greatly benefit them. 9 has greatly improved as far as bullet weight, power,etc.

I have no issue with .40 accuracy, nor have I found it a big issue for most students. If the fundamentals are solid, the caliber makes little to no difference.

I am far from the only one though, for whom the .40 is literally PAINFUL. The particular recoil characteristics, combined with a polymer, lightweight gun does very bad things to my tendonitis.

I can shoot Glock 10mm all day long without issue. Something about the particular recoil characteristics of the .40 though just moves my wrist in exactly the right way to cause the underlying problem to flare up.

I was sorry I didn't like a 40SW SA XDm more than I did. That was due, at least to some degree, to the round itself. Traded the pistol away. I'd probably prefer the same multi-mag hi-cap wep in 9mm, but I'd surely be second-guessing that decision had I gone straight to 9 without the 40 experience.

This is a good time for any shooter with a 40SW carbine to snap up
rounds. I recall paying not much at Walmart for 100-packs of 40SW Remington in semi-jacketed HP, and they usually had some.

I recently moved up here from Texas and I was noticing just the opposite! Now I haven't gone on some Crusade of trying to track down ammo (yet) but I did notice that the couple of places Iwas at seemed to have very little .40. At least nothing above and beyond regular target loads. I was looking for Hydro-Shok and couldn't find any. I didn't know if it was illegal up here or what. (Then again the couple of stores I looked at didn't have HP's either. lol) Merely an observation.

My son is in ICE and recently switched to a Glock 17 from a Sig .40, they are now given a choice of a half dozen models. Strangely the Glock 22 (Full size .40 gun) was not on the list and would have been his preference. He had been using .40 for the past 15 years and is happy with it (Border Patrol .357 before that)

My only ,40 is a Charter Arms Pitbull revolver, I bought it to see if I could recommend it to my son as a backup. It might be a snubbie, but it is pretty big. Snappy to shoot, stays on my bedside table.

I have at least 500 rounds for it so I am set.

I have no issue with .40 accuracy, nor have I found it a big issue for most students. If the fundamentals are solid, the caliber makes little to no difference.

I am far from the only one though, for whom the .40 is literally PAINFUL. The particular recoil characteristics, combined with a polymer, lightweight gun does very bad things to my tendonitis.

I can shoot Glock 10mm all day long without issue. Something about the particular recoil characteristics of the .40 though just moves my wrist in exactly the right way to cause the underlying problem to flare up.

I love my .40 but it is an all steel pistol, an old Firestar. It has been an excellent old friend to me! The "checkered" pattern on the rubber grips is almost worn off. As to the caliber itself I never felt under gunned the many years I carried it.
I did take advantage of the "cheap" .40 ammo to stock up enough rounds to last a very long time for my one .40 and my sons .40 Glock. Both practice and fighting rnds. That said I have moved on to 9mm and own four, one is my carry gun. That was mostly because I also went polymer.

now that CHL's are mainstream more people are carrying smaller and smaller guns it doesn't make sense to trade capacity for power when there is no difference in "stopping power".

My only complaint about .40 is that the snappiness of the round aggravates the Hell out of my tendonitis.

I can shoot .45 and 10mm all day long and not have this problem. 200 rounds of .40 and my right wrist is a mess for a week.

I think part of that depends on the gun. I'm not a huge fan of .40 I've owned a couple, all of which I sold or traded, save for one. I have a Glock 35 that makes shooting .40 no less fun for me than my 9mm's or .45's For that reason, it's the one .40 I hold onto. I agree it's a snappy cartridge, but here, the gun you use can make a lot of difference.

In a glock I prefer .40 over 9mm. One of the main reasons is that in a g22,23,27,35 you can easily change from .22lr, 9mm, .357sig, and .40 in a matter of seconds. Also, as a reloader who loves 10mm, .40 makes sense as it uses the same bullets and dies as 10mm. I wont be ditching my .40 any time soon. The recoil between a .40 and a 9mm is negligible to me

Definitely a .40 dump going on. It's impossible not to notice the influx of used .40's in the market place and 40 s&w staying stocked and untouched on the shelves in stores frequented...

As I stated earlier in this post I participated in the said "dump" and ditched the caliber to consolidate and stock up on 9mm and 45ACP which suit all my pistol caliber needs....:cool:

Your fervor, Lance Jacobs, is confounding. Why do you seem to be taking our little conversation about my informal observations so personally. You just arrived to NWFA 3 months ago, had one successful transaction and are, quite literally, flaming me for my question to you and others whether people are seeing something I feel like I'm seeing? If you disagree with my sincere opinions, then go ahead and state your own opinion.

Did you see how nicely Meridian played? It is no surprise to me that he has 50 awesome transactions and has been here playing nicely for 4 years.

I was simply pointing out how silly your post was, for you to be asking others to gather data to prove your conjectures.

My goodness, if you really want to prove your stated point and gather months of data from the for sales forum as you suggested, wouldn't you be the logical person to do all of that work? For you to have challenged others here in the forum to do all that work for you to prove your conjecture was just mind boggling to me.

The simple fact here is that Meridian 7750 did gather data from the last 3 pages of sales, and the data did not even REMOTELY support your position that people are dumping the .40 S&W in mass. If anything, his data illustrated that just the opposite was true.

In contrast to the data that Meridian 7750 gathered, you have provided ZERO evidence to support your position.

I'm sorry, but you are simply engaging in speculation and conjecture. In effect, you are spreading a rumor, that has no foundation or basis to support it.

I totally disagree with your conjecture. There is no substance to it.

The issue is that I was never using data, I was asking if people were seeing--anecdotally--what I was seeing. What you read as me requesting data was SARCASM. For some reason you are fixated on someone having data to support an observation.

Concerning data, I do it for a living so I understand data better than most from a mathematical perspective. Three pages of listings does not data make. At best that is a datum. Drop it, Lance. Join the conversation with your own opinions, and do it with a smile.

BTW, your last sentence is completely cool. I'm glad you disagree with my conjecture. This is what makes a forum more fun. But your attacks aren't helpful in building camaraderie.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top