JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the novelty of having a safe full of different caliber handguns wore off since the SH fiasco. I am more focused on other things in life than hoarding guns so wanted to consolidate to one caliber. I've had 9mms all my adult life so shot a .40 & never looked back plus when (not if) SHTF & I need another magazine the wife will toss me one that fits any handgun in the house (an XDM40).:cool:

It's funny, 40S&W is the bee's knees in competition. It is extremely popular! There' an STI 1911 in 40S&W that just sold here. Most people have ZERO idea why someone would want a 1911 in 40, but what they don't realize is that 40 is the perfect round for USPSA, at least for Limited/L-10/Single Stack. Especially for reloaders!!

But since most people don't compete, the 40 doesn't seem to have much use.

.40 is for those who aren't very good shots. You get more points shooting major so you don't need to be as accurate as the guys shooting minor. Same thing with optics. Ever notice that it's the old guys with bad eyesight that are using the red dots?

As a mid-C class USPSA production shooter, struggling to break into B class, that's my sstory and I'm sstickin' to it! :p

I'm not sure if I would use a pistol for SHTF, when any rifle will work better...

To each their own though;)
Well we've talked all about this.. do you have a crystal ball so that when you're buying your daily slurpee at the 7-11 you'll just so happen to have your precious semi-auto .308 battle rifle on you? Of course you will use a pistol as your SHTF weapon because that's what you'll have on you and your precious will be.. well, you're dead.

lol man.

I'll just take yours.;)J/k... Maybe:rolleyes:

He was referencing swapping mags with his wife, inferring to me that would be at home as I can not think. of a situation out in the open where that's realistic.

If I'm bunkering down, then you can be darn sure I'll have at least one rifle in my possession.

lol man.

I'll just take yours.;)J/k... Maybe:rolleyes:

He was referencing swapping mags with his wife, inferring to me that would be at home as I can not think. of a situation out in the open where that's realistic.

If I'm bunkering down, then you can be darn sure I'll have at least one rifle in my possession.
Well I only understand about two things but how I understood that was nevermind. What are you trying to say? That you think that a powerful and accurately used handgun is..?

Well sold all my .40s and switched to .45s do not like 9mm but the .40s were nice. Just got into the 1911 platform and well you know how it goes:)

Back to the original topic, that the OP has too much .40, IMO if you're carrying that caliber or planning on using it for serious business, then just go to the range more often, like once or twice each week.
Maintain/increase proficiency with some good drills, work on accuracy, presentation, sight picture, trigger control and grip pressure.

That too much ammo situation will be cured in fairly short order. :)

Not a matter of to much ammo:) When I had my .40s I had 2K on hand at all times. I am one who has to have plenty of ammo no matter what I am shooting:cool: and 2K is not enough if you ask me...

I'm looking for a new CC pistol and I'm leaning towards a G23 and having a 9mm conversion (barrel/mags) available to me. The reason being, there are still times that I go into a store and not find any 9mm on the shelf.
Of course, this could be remedied by buying boatloads of it when I can, but I have boatloads of 22lr NOW and I don't shoot it AT ALL due to not being able to replenish it. Seriously, haven't fired my 10-22 in almost 2 years.
I want to be able to replace any ammo I fire, and 40s&w doesn't experience the run that 9mm does.
IMO, The next time a douche canoe has a well-publicized outburst, it will put 9mm in the mystical realm of 22lr.
The conversion, which I gather is reliable in the gen 3s, would cover me.

I've got a G35 with a conversion barrel - works just fine for me. While I don't think I would use a conversion barrel on a primary carry weapon, it's nice to know I can shoot 3 calibers from the same gun if I choose (9mm, .40 or .357Sig). Some folks I don't think care for the conversions, but I'm all for it.

I know it may come as a shock but I prefer 40...have for a long time. My favorite is .357 but the 40 I shoot better than I do my M&P 9 and having 15rds of critical defense 40 cal is comforting to me. To each their own but to me I will stick with the guns I can get ammo for and always have carried. If you can shoot 9 better my guess is it is simply cause you have not shot a 40 as often or have shot 40 in pistols that are a little light for the recoil. Either way I will stick with my guns and my name.

I was just down at the Bi-Mart today for the fun of it.. (killer huge Korean grocery market right next door by the way, (H-Mart.. yea, what's up with that?)) and saw that they had UMC bulk packs of .40 for $95/250.
I've never owned a .40 and never will but what I'm trying to say is you can reload about any center fire handgun for like $40/1000 so why indeed would I buy those? anyway, got short ribs at the H Mart.. as usual.
oh yea

I'm curious as to why some don't like Remington ammo, or UMC.
I don't buy Remington defense ammo, but I like it for target and plinking.

edit/add: biggest firearms related regret I have is having sold my Dillon 550 a dozen years ago.

I would agree with the many here who have stated the 40 is just too expensive lately.

Also I think lots of manufacturers are bumping up their 9mm advertisement. Even 380 is super hot because it's the choice for concealables. The days of brute force and power are over I think. Even cops personally switch from 40 to 9 for round count. Yes you get more take down energy, but less rounds, added weight, less and less new platforms, add up to a caliber losing its glory and fame.

I'm not just saying that because I'm a 9mm guy either. I own a 10mm I know what it's like to see something that was hyped to be better get replaced by something else because of whatever reason.

$40 for 1000!??!:eek: I gotta get to re-loading like yesterday....
Powder and bullets will get you to about 40 dollars.

The brass you can collect as you shoot so that equals the cost of the ammo purchase.

You can get a kit from RCBS or Hornady, single stage press and most of the needed items for loading for around 2-3 hundred.

Dies run about 40.

Initial start up is about 3-5 hundred depending on what set up you get.

Progressives are a whole other story.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top