JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see ad after ad selling off large chunks of 40 ammo. I'm one of them. I just happen to have "too much" of a certain kind. But it looks like tons of people are dumping their whole stash, as if bunches of people are leaving the 40S&W platform all together.

Am I right? Are people going back to the 9mm in droves?

.40 is in all of the stores that are empty otherwise, so I'm guessing that it is becoming unpopular due to the cost of ammo.

I see a lot of .45 around as well but it's not been the popular kid for awhile now.

9mm is cheaper. More platforms are available in 9mm.

I know I am, but I also seem to see a lot of comments from others about consolidating calibers.

It's much easier and cheaper to buy all of your pistol (or rifle) ammo in bulk if it is one caliber. I personally also find it easier to store and organize. I like not having to dig thru a bunch of other stuff to find what I want to shoot that week.

So all my pistols are 9mm.
(The exception will be a 1911 .45 but I'm considering getting that in 9mm also)
Revolvers are .38sp/.357 mag
Everything in .22lr
Rifles are 7.62x39 & 7.62x51 (.308)

Oh, it also fits into my silencer plan nicely as well since most guns will be able to share cans.

Well, I just switched to a .40 S&W from a 9mm, so I guess I am swimming upstream! I would be interested in any extra plinking ammo you have for sale, provided it's a good deal. :) I was in Sportsman Warehouse in Tannesbourne last weekend and picked up some Winchester .40 ammo for less than $20 a box.

I compete with 40 so I seem to be very invested in 40S&W. But now I feel behind the curve because 40 ammo has become, at least on this site, virtually worthless since everyone is selling and nobody seems to be buying. And this is all right when I want to sell some 40 to get some 9mm. But since everyone else is doing the same thing, I seem to have very little chance of being successful... :(

I've noticed the recent rash of .40SW ammo sales here myself, but I have a different theory. I remember pretty clearly last year when the stores were completely out of 9mm, .45acp, .22lr, .38 and .357 that I still saw plenty of .40SW on the shelf. At the time I hadn't bought my .40 yet, but saw I could still get ammo. I suspect at least some of the folks who are dumping their ammo saw it as an opportunity to help corner the market and make a profit - just as so many have done with .22 and to a lesser degree 9mm and some rifle catridges (.223/5.56). And now, they are finding themselves without a market since .40 is still fairly easy to get - I don't recall that it ever really went away (part of the reason I keep at least one .40 in my collection at all times). Now I may be wrong, but that was my theory on the .40 ammo dump. At the moment, the ammo situation still seems to be improving, so those who bought at higher prices are going to see their profit margins dwindle away very soon.

As for me, I do shoot .40, just not a lot - I primarily shoot 9mm, a little .45 and some .22 I could probably use some .40 plinking ammo in the near future, just not ready to buy yet.

I see a lot of what is probably "I panic bought 3000 rounds of freedom munitions stuff in the middle of the crazy time and now I want to sell it all since I really didnt need 3000 rounds of anything"

why not keep it for the next crazy time. Its not like it goes bad.

Well it's simple.. Who caused the .40 to come into being? The FBI.. Who's dumping the .40 for the 9? The FBI.. dump em if you got 'em! lol
I think the main part of their doing so was that the pistols are junk/destroyed within 5000 rounds.. just a 9mm pistol to begin with but then cobbled together to take the .40.

"Too much" for me just means that I have 10 times the amount of 40 JHP as 9mm JHP. Since I actually carry 9mm, they should be at least even. In a perfect world I would just buy 10 times more 9mm JHP and be done with it. But I ain't got the scratch to do that. I'm certainly not going to drop the price to 30-cents-a-round to get it done. I'd rather just keep it for the zombie hordes.

I'd hate to be a soldier on the battlefield and be the only swingin dick who's pistol takes a different caliber than anyone else on the planet.

Yeah this will need to be a massive switch all at one time for sure for this exact reason.
I mean on the battlefield.. it'd sure be nice to use the enemies ammo were you to run out of your piddly load out.. not that that many troops of any nation carry or use pistols much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top