JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
4 sites.
3 closed.
2 closed for over 2 years.
☹️
Yep they will close them all eventually. The agencies don't give a crap about us. If we keep costing them money for clean up projects they will close it down. I see enough trash on the street when working in Portland I don't like seeing it in the woods. Pure laziness and disrespect for shared common areas.

Yea, but at least it's all in one place.
Why doesn't forestry put dumpsters there since such a huge volume of people shoot there? That would go a long way in helping to reduce trash.
I have no desire to start a political debate, I just don't like seeing yet another shooters resource vanquished.
Shooters gotta shoot!
If they put dumpsters there they would either get shot up or become drop sites for household trash sadly.

Yep they will close them all eventually. The agencies don't give a crap about us. If we keep costing them money for clean up projects they will close it down. I see enough trash on the street when working in Portland I don't like seeing it in the woods. Pure laziness and disrespect for shared common areas.
Yup, if ya pack it in, then ya gotta pack it back out…. Otherwise, ya just part of the litter and trash problem…

I was up there on Sunday. No rocks were in the way seemed pretty normal. I would at this point suspect they are working and put rocks in during the week. Probably don't want people parking there or shooting there.

Last Edited:
That quarry is a private concern. Occasionally they closed down access to the quarry so that the machinery can get in there and do business. Also I have seen it closed when there is work in the forest around it for the protection of the workers.

Bookmark the target shooting drop down of the Tillamook State Forest website. It will tell you if the shooting spot is open or closed. Save yourself the drive.

I've witnessed literally, many thousands of gates, / earth moved closures, locally and across the state, in my lifetime. Virtually none of the areas I frequented in my youth and even up to my 30's are now accessible to me.
Just take a look at any forest map even as late as the 70's & 80's and see how you can access our public lands today!
Won't be long now, and our public land will either cost you money to enter / park, or otherwise will be inaccessible by vehicle.
And I venture to say most, were not done because of trash!!

I've heard a bird or two chirp about a lot more outdoor private lanes being erected by folks who have acreage… I'm interested myself in attaining some dirt to counter the loss of outdoor lanes. I don't care for indoor at all…
I'm sure this has a lot to do with the measures enacted up here and what's coming your way down there. What's Oregons private acreage minimum for shooting ?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews