JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Prefers? No. But I maintain a .40 gun on hand, just in case. I've kept a .40 as my bedside gun for some time, and I've got no plans to switch it out.

Ya. Who the heck plinks with 40. 40 is a carry weapon. So the ammo is usually defense rounds that people are buying. ..or at least thats my assumption

.40 S&W is going the way of the DoDo... At least that's my opinion on the subject.

Many law enforcement agencies are going to 9mm with the ammunition improvements of late as well.

I found my own personal experience the 40sw all around in great round.
If I have a choice of my 9 or 40 the forty is the first choice. I am also one of the guys
that prefer a 762x39 over a 223 . I hope 40sw get lower in price more for me :)

These discussion are always going to come down to personal preference.

This thread caused me to buy a Walther PPX, a very nice shooting 40, though I have not shot it in some time. I need to shoot my Charter Arms Pitbull since I changed the grips on it. I have the PPX in 9 and 40 and my wife and I both agree that the 40 shoots better accuracy wise, not bad recoil either.

I have bounced around to alot of calibers and recoil is kinda funny to me because I shoot alot of 44 magnum. I think the 9mm is kinda boring to shoot. 45 guns usually have to big of a grip and I like the penetration the 40 gets and I plink with my fns 40 the slide is noticeably heavier than the glock 22 I had, plus the fns is one of the softest shooting 40s I have shot, plus I usually get great deals on 40 ammo and reloading components so it's super cheap for me to shoot. So when people complain about snappyness I always giggle to myself and say shoot magnum revolvers for a bit and 9mm feels like 22 but that is my long winded 2 cents

This thread caused me to buy a Walther PPX, a very nice shooting 40, though I have not shot it in some time. I need to shoot my Charter Arms Pitbull since I changed the grips on it. I have the PPX in 9 and 40 and my wife and I both agree that the 40 shoots better accuracy wise, not bad recoil either.

My Sig SW40 P229 has less recoil then our SW MP9.

Odd how recoil differs model to model. I have been to a Glock Armorer's course and saw some comparisons of 9, 40, 10, and 45. The 10 and 45 are fresh engineered like the 9, but the 40 is adapted from a 9. Not optimum, the S&W M&P40 was designed to be a 40 with the M&P9 adapted from the 40, way better.

Odd how recoil differs model to model. I have been to a Glock Armorer's course and saw some comparisons of 9, 40, 10, and 45. The 10 and 45 are fresh engineered like the 9, but the 40 is adapted from a 9. Not optimum, the S&W M&P40 was designed to be a 40 with the M&P9 adapted from the 40, way better.
I had read somewhere the S&W M&P40 had mag drop issues, but the 9 which we have doesnt and they are near identical from what I recall.

I'm still likin' the cheap .40 ammo! My compact old, all steel, FireStar isn't very snappy at all. After a lot of rounds and years it's still reliable and accurate so I shoot it and keep a certain amount of ammo for it.

The only S&W pistol we own is a older Sigma 380, one of their first polymer guns, in the Sigma family. Bought it new and still have it, and we had another Sigma variant, the SD9 VE, which was traded for a Glock. I would like a M&P40 Pro, but the wife does not!

Interesting to know that the M&P40 was built that way from the ground up. The only negative I have heard about the 40 is that it's hard on pistols (as well as wussies :) ).

Interesting to know that the M&P40 was built that way from the ground up. The only negative I have heard about the 40 is that it's hard on pistols (as well as wussies :) ).

I think the wussie part is in the cost, 40 doesn't hurt their hands as much as it hurts their wallets:D:D.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top