JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
CCI 40 grain subsonics are so quiet I shoot them without hearing protection out of my rifles

Nutria are non native destructive pests and should be hunted and trapped to extinction in North America

I agree!!!!! they are nasty and when they got my dog it was a huge vet bill!!! now those rats die

CCI now make a Quite .22 40gr bullet @710fps should be good for close range head shots I just picked up 2 bricks of it.
I'm putting together a savage FVSR to shoot them out of.

ROFLMAO none of you guys have ever tried to kill a Nutria

I have put 10 rounds into a Nurtia from an M1 Carbine 110gr slug FMJ at 1900+ fps at a range of under 20 yards and had them swim off. They are without a doubt one of the hardest to kill small animals in North America.

You shoot a Nutria with a .22 and if it doesn't bother the neighbors then hopefully neither with the 10 or 20 rounds you will need to finish it off.

Unless there is some real reason to kill the thing like your going to eat it or its eating your garden leave it the hell alone.

Shoot a Nutria with a CB cap Man now thats some good laughing.

I have tried and succeeded!!! Make a GOOD shot, maybe the head or anywhere close and one shot works just fine. not really sure how you didn't pull it off with an M1??? .22 works well
01-18-11_1147.jpg

The nutria is a really bad thing for the ecosystem in the PNW. They are much like a mole in your lawn, but they prefer the marshes and backwaters that are prime waterfowl habitat.

In short order, a set can breed and spin off dozens more and they ruin wetlands and bust up dikes.

Blast them with a well placed shot with a SUBSONIC .22 round and you will be doing the world a favor.
heart or head.

PS, Eat them... they are good to eat.

Yep, you got it right. Lead is not some nerve gas type deadly stuff it is just bad for you to eat! So drive on buddy.
I kill em one shot all the time with the 22(in the head or right behind the front leg in the chest)! Im just trying to be considerate of the people around me!!! they erode the creek bed and destroy my yard so I say Im gonna smoke em there not supposed to be here and hell its fun!! And yeah I live in the willamette valley and yes there are tons of nutria here and no i dont shoot into the creek... did lead come from space? nope it was here on earth in the ground !!! hmmm thats where 90% of drinking water is!! also please stick to the advise of a quiet round and not be negitive

BTW I just looked on line and large nutria pelts are $80 and XL are $100. Tan those hides!

I now want a few to trim the coat hood and pockets for the buffalo coats I am going to make for my gal and I. The link says the fur is similar to beaver and otter

I would love to visit any of you with a nutria problem here in the Olympia area and help even the score just for some pelts

BTW I just looked on line and large nutria pelts are $80 and XL are $100. Tan those hides!

I now want a few to trim the coat hood and pockets for the buffalo coats I am going to make for my gal and I. The link says the fur is similar to beaver and otter

I would love to visit any of you with a nutria problem here in the Olympia area and help even the score just for some pelts

Nutria were imported when beaver pelts were used for hats and such years ago this is why they are similar. The market for beaver declined so farms that were raising nutria let them go resulting in the numbers that are around the US now. A simple .22short to the head or breast does just fine for killing them. A live trap works best to get all the family, if you dont get them all they will just keep multiplying.

Nutria were imported when beaver pelts were used for hats and such years ago this is why they are similar. The market for beaver declined so farms that were raising nutria let them go resulting in the numbers that are around the US now. A simple .22short to the head or breast does just fine for killing them. A live trap works best to get all the family, if you dont get them all they will just keep multiplying.

AH not even close. The Beaver Fur trade was all but done buy the late 1940- very early 1850's Nutria were brought into the USA in in the 1930's and spread throughout the US in the 1940's

beaver fur was trimmed from the skin and used as a fiber for a type of high quality felt used in making hats. being replaced in the market by Silk from the Orrient in the 1850's

nutria fur was used on the skin as trim mostly on womens clothing. When the European demand for the furs dropped the industry tried to get people interested
in eating the lean low colesteral meat. But people even back in the 30's here in the Willamette Valley had a hard time getting past the water rat meat idea. Only place it ever has caught on is in Louisiana (one of the first places they were imported into in the 30's) And even there its a very small market.

The Oregon State Fair even had big Nutria Shows held during the Fair and other times during the year.

AH not even close. The Beaver Fur trade was all but done buy the late 1940- very early 1850's Nutria were brought into the USA in in the 1930's and spread throughout the US in the 1940's

beaver fur was trimmed from the skin and used as a fiber for a type of high quality felt used in making hats. being replaced in the market by Silk from the Orrient in the 1850's

nutria fur was used on the skin as trim mostly on womens clothing. When the European demand for the furs dropped the industry tried to get people interested
in eating the lean low colesteral meat. But people even back in the 30's here in the Willamette Valley had a hard time getting past the water rat meat idea. Only place it ever has caught on is in Louisiana (one of the first places they were imported into in the 30's) And even there its a very small market.

The Oregon State Fair even had big Nutria Shows held during the Fair and other times during the year.

I stand corrected by the rat person. But they were introduced into CA. in the late 1800's before they were in LA.

I have tried and succeeded!!! Make a GOOD shot, maybe the head or anywhere close and one shot works just fine. not really sure how you didn't pull it off with an M1??? .22 works well
01-18-11_1147.jpg

What is that about a 5lb baby? I'm talking a real Adult Nutria from the Pudding River more like 25-30 lbs

In Louisiana they have a 5$ per nutria bounty. You cut their tails and turn them in to get paid. They are destroying the marshlands down there as they eat up to 1.5x their weight / day. They estimate that failure to control the population would result in a loss of over 4k acres of marshlands in just 2 years of not paying the bounty. The average number of nutria taken that were paid out on over the last 10 years or so is about 335K / year. I'm guessing that if you collected the bounty and tanned the hides you could make a survivable living hunting them. Guess you might be competing with the gators to retrieve them on occasion tho...

I would recommend using a bolt action when shooting "primer only" sub sonic ammo. There's a good chance of having a squib round stuck in the bore when using a semi-auto rifle.

I have killed nutria with an air rifle, .22lr, .22short, 12 gauge and various high caliber rifles. I have owned an M1 carbine since I was 10 years old. I hate to stray from the point and I will get to that, but I don't know a whitetail that could take 10-110gr. bullets. Nutria are vile little things. Anyone looking to retire and go into the nutria fur trapping business will be disappointed. You set your trap line for valuable things, like beaver, and deal with the nutria as they come. You can fetch $3-5 for the top pelts after you go through the work of tanning them. While I have no doubt that they are tasty, I would never eat an opossum either. Whether you use a Beeman .177 air rifle or a .375 H&H, as with elk, deer or water buffalo, shot placement is everything. .22 shorts WILL kill nutria. I have the fond memories to prove it. Kip.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top