JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1022,I also have nutria in the backyard! I dont live in city limits but I do wanna be respectfull to the people around me(on the sides) the back is a creek with a huge backstop so saftey isnt a factor. so thoughts on a good quiet ammo?

ROFLMAO none of you guys have ever tried to kill a Nutria

I have put 10 rounds into a Nurtia from an M1 Carbine 110gr slug FMJ at 1900+ fps at a range of under 20 yards and had them swim off. They are without a doubt one of the hardest to kill small animals in North America.

You shoot a Nutria with a .22 and if it doesn't bother the neighbors then hopefully neither with the 10 or 20 rounds you will need to finish it off.

Unless there is some real reason to kill the thing like your going to eat it or its eating your garden leave it the hell alone.

Shoot a Nutria with a CB cap Man now thats some good laughing.

x2 for the super-colibri rounds. we used them to start my daughter out shooting in her cricket rifle, so she could not wear ear protection and hear us talking. Good luck killing much with them, maybe birds and squirrels with well placed shots and at close range - but work for practice or play. test them in your firearm first - they are sold as for pistols only and might stick in tight bored rifles.

Most definitely keep shooting lead into the creek, the sound complaints from any neighbors will be the least of your problems! Seriously though, 22lr is definitely under powered for Nutria. But to address the question you could try CCI Green Tag or the new Gemtech subsonic. These are both quality rounds that will cycle your action and not attract too much attention. The collibri and CB rounds are quieter, but have VERY little energy. Now a 300 BLK with a silencer is definitely a more suited weapon for your Nutria problem. Now I also must assume you don't love up here in the PNW if you've got Nutria in your back yard.

I kill em one shot all the time with the 22(in the head or right behind the front leg in the chest)! Im just trying to be considerate of the people around me!!! they erode the creek bed and destroy my yard so I say Im gonna smoke em there not supposed to be here and hell its fun!! And yeah I live in the willamette valley and yes there are tons of nutria here and no i dont shoot into the creek... did lead come from space? nope it was here on earth in the ground !!! hmmm thats where 90% of drinking water is!! also please stick to the advise of a quiet round and not be negitive

I haven't shot any nutrias, but I've hit a few on my bicycle at the duck pond in Roseburg, and I can tell you that a bicycle won't kill 'em.

I wouldn't try shooting one with anything less than aguila 60gr. .22short, CBs, and colibris are too weak for anything other than pop cans.

I asked the OSP guys at a Sportsman's show one time about hunting Nutria being legal. He said "NO PROBLEM!!!". I asked if there was a limit he said "No, Shoot all you want!!!" I then asked if you need a hunting license and he said "That would be a good idea".

State of Oregon is none to proud about introducing what they though would be a new cash crop for the state. When the nutria market bottomed out the hobby farmers turned their mating pairs (that they named) loose. Responsible farmers dispatched their stock.

Now were left with yet another invasive species. So if any of the neighbors complain about noise, show them this. They may want to help.

Oregon Field Guide — Nutria · Oregon Public Broadcasting

For a died in the wool liberal based organization, they didn't hold anything back on blame.

ROFLMAO none of you guys have ever tried to kill a Nutria

I have put 10 rounds into a Nurtia from an M1 Carbine 110gr slug FMJ at 1900+ fps at a range of under 20 yards and had them swim off. They are without a doubt one of the hardest to kill small animals in North America.

You shoot a Nutria with a .22 and if it doesn't bother the neighbors then hopefully neither with the 10 or 20 rounds you will need to finish it off.

Unless there is some real reason to kill the thing like your going to eat it or its eating your garden leave it the hell alone.

Shoot a Nutria with a CB cap Man now thats some good laughing.

All i have to say about the above statement :bsflag:

I have taken Nutria, Coyote, Raccoon, etc, easily with a Ruger 10-22 or 22lr handguns, using subsonic ammo.

CCI CB Long's, they are as quiet as an air rifle and if you put the bullet between the eyes or in the ear hole, they are TOAST.

M67

CCI 40 grain subsonics are so quiet I shoot them without hearing protection out of my rifles

Nutria are non native destructive pests and should be hunted and trapped to extinction in North America

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top