JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One is a full metal jacket military round. It specifically says for the m1 garand. This ammo is generally loaded at less pressure for the m1 garand. Also, As far as i know, the Oregon synopsis specifically stated that no full metal jacket bullets can be used for the hunting of big game animals. It may be different now, but it used to state that. Id check the regs to be sure. The other ammo is a soft point bullet, that can be used for hunting big game. Also, you may know this already, PPU made by privi partizian is great ammo. Its been excellent ammo, in my experience.

Good point about the bullet construction and purpose of the bullet.

Then.....
Are you gonna use/intending to use the ammo through an M1 or another sort of firearm?

"M1 ammo" (say M2 ball, etc....) is made to reliably function (without undue ware/parts breakage) by keeping pressures (specs etc....) within the designed operating range of the M1 rilfe.

While the other .30-06 ammo (say shot through a bolt gun) only has to be within the spec of SAMMI.

Aloha, Mark

Well that's just the thing....
1567550636714.png

Shot it for the first time today. :D I'm pretty damned pleased with it I tell ya'! A light from the sky shown down upon me today!
So the ad from Carolina Munitions was in my e-mail when we got home from the range. I'm a frugal bastid, but if the loads and pressures are better suited to this gun, then it's more than worth the extra buck/20.

@bsa1917hunter I had heard the the PPU brass was good for re-loading. Good priced too. I've got several hundred in 6.5 Swede and now I'll ad another 200 .30-06 for the M1. And if you have any tips for reloading the M1 I'm listening.

Thanks for the quick response guys! I knew I could depend on board members.

Well that's just the thing....
View attachment 614160

Shot it for the first time today. :D I'm pretty damned pleased with it I tell ya'! A light from the sky shown down upon me today!
So the ad from Carolina Munitions was in my e-mail when we got home from the range. I'm a frugal bastid, but if the loads and pressures are better suited to this gun, then it's more than worth the extra buck/20.

@bsa1917hunter I had heard the the PPU brass was good for re-loading. Good priced too. I've got several hundred in 6.5 Swede and now I'll ad another 200 .30-06 for the M1. And if you have any tips for reloading the M1 I'm listening.

Thanks for the quick response guys! I knew I could depend on board members.
Handloading for the m1 garand is extremely easy. IF you have load manuals. Generally most popular load manuals have separate sections for military rifle ammo. Youll see that when they refer to m14/m1A, garand, and service rifle 5.56mm. Always consult the proper load manual. That is my best advice.

One is a full metal jacket military round. It specifically says for the m1 garand. This ammo is generally loaded at less pressure for the m1 garand. Also, As far as i know, the Oregon synopsis specifically stated that no full metal jacket bullets can be used for the hunting of big game animals. It may be different now, but it used to state that. Id check the regs to be sure. The other ammo is a soft point bullet, that can be used for hunting big game. Also, you may know this already, PPU made by privi partizian is great ammo. Its been excellent ammo, in my experience.

This. I handload all my M1 ammo. 155gr Sierra MatchKing at 2700 fps. Pretty mild. My hunting loads that I fire out of a bolt action would result in a bent operating rod in an M1.

Interesting that the hunting bullet is cheaper; usually it's the other way around.

Sometimes when ammo is labeled for use in the Garand, it's loaded to M1 specs, and sometimes it's just marketing, so it's hard to know whether both of those lines of ammo are loaded the same or not. The only two ways I know of to tell would be to either contact the manufacturer and ask them, or buy a box of SP and pull one apart to weigh the powder.

The issue with the M1 isn't the overall pressure of the round, it's the gas port pressure. It was designed to function correctly with the medium burning powder that WWII USGI 30-06 ammo was loaded with. Chamber pressure with these loads is normal for a 30-06, and it's burning rate is such that by the time the bullet reached the gas port, pressure has dropped to the proper level to cycle the action.

You can use slower burning powder (and more of it) to optimize the velocity, but the result is a longer pressure curve and higher port pressure, which could possibly damage the M1 action. You can buy a vented gas plug that can be adjusted for any ammo, but I've never used one.

Here's more info: M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug

The article is data-heavy and I didn't read it all, but it looked interesting.

1st a HUGE CONGRATS on your New Best Friend...:)
I may even know it's source.;)

M2 Ball ammo [US mfg] is specifically designed for use in M1 Garand Rifles.
It will also work in any 30.06.

The KEY is in the PRESSURE CURVE.
Greek mfg OLYMPIC marketed some a few yrs ago advertising it as Designed for the
Garand....NOT..
The load seemed like it should have been OK, but the Pressure Curve Spiked at a later point and caused some problems,
Like Op Rods Jumping, extractors coming out, and a possibility of Bending the Op Rod.

The Greek HXP from the CMP in the Spam Cans and others is GTG in M1s.
Any USGI is GTG, BUT OLDER EARLY 50s is Corrossive Primers.

PRIVI is Good ammo.
What they market as Garand Friendly is
Probly GTG, New, and less $ than the older
GI ammo.

For myself, I am Paranoid just enough to stick with Only GI M2 BALL...

And I have a bit left to sell...;)

There's just something about the old M1, isn't there? I have several; my first one I bought through the CMP for $395 shipped, as I recall. It was a few years ago, but not like some of you guys who got yours through the old DCM. :)

I have a bunch of sealed tins of CMP HXP ammo on clips, but all I've shot in mine for years is my own reloads: surplus M2 bullets and a moderate charge of H4895.

I did the Qual Shoot when the DCMs were 300.
When I went to order they had raised it to 350. PO'd I waited, the later wen nutz w the CMP. ;););)
I did get a DCM Rifle sold thru the Guard tha is a July-Dec 1951 rebuild.
All NOS WWII Parts exvept the later rr sight.:)
And a couple others.
It is so hard to justify letting one go,
Unless All one's loot is tied up in them.
;)

When reloading for the M1 Garand, the best powders to use are IMR 4064, IMR 4895, H4895 and Varget. Slower powder like IMR 4350 May bend the op rod.

Also W748, BLC 2, and RL15 are good choices for the Garand..

Handloading for the m1 garand is extremely easy. IF you have load manuals. Generally most popular load manuals have separate sections for military rifle ammo. Youll see that when they refer to m14/m1A, garand, and service rifle 5.56mm. Always consult the proper load manual. That is my best advice.

Well, yeah, I use load manual(s). As a mater of fact I consult two, or three, sources to get a feel for what ever I'm loading. Currently I've only loaded hand gun. And I've prepped a few 6.5 X 55 pieces to get a feel for shouldered cases. I'm in the process of using up commercial long gun ammo and that will leave me re-loadable brass.

Something I noticed about the fired brass. About 2 out of five had slightly crushed necks. The brass was thrown forward and slightly to the right, about 5 feet. The brass looks to be still serviceable though. Resizing should straighten it out I would hope.

Something I noticed about the fired brass. About 2 out of five had slightly crushed necks. The brass was thrown forward and slightly to the right, about 5 feet. The brass looks to be still serviceable though. Resizing should straighten it out I would hope.

Yep, won't be a problem in the least. Those dented necks will iron right out. I've been known to use brass that's been run over by trucks. Not recommending it, just saying I've done it. :)

In some ways reloading rifle rounds is easier than pistol. For the M1, stick with a 150 to 165 grain bullet and a moderate charge of something like 4895, and you can't go wrong. Just make sure you don't accidentally grab a can of pistol powder instead. 47gr of 231 instead of 4895 could really ruin your day. :eek:

In some ways reloading rifle rounds is easier than pistol. For the M1, stick with a 150 to 165 grain bullet and a moderate charge of something like 4895, and you can't go wrong. Just make sure you don't accidentally grab a can of pistol powder instead. 47gr of 231 instead of 4895 could really ruin your day. :eek:

Anything special on the dies I'll need to use for loading these? Looking on Amazon I can get RCBS full length 2 die set for $37.00.

Or a Hornady 2 die set for the same price.
Amazon.com : Hornady 546340 DIESET 2 30-06 SPRG Springfield Custom Grade Reloading DIE Set (Series I Two-Die Set) (.308) : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Gateway

For my needs I don't really need to step up to $50.00-$70.00+ sets do I?
Is something like this acceptable?

And a Lee 3 die set for a little less.

And perhaps a recommendation on bullets? Not for hunting, just good, decent priced, target shooting projectiles..

Last Edited:
Honestly a $10 used set from a gun show or eBay would probably work just fine. Very, very few M1s shoot well enough to justify the expense of a fancy die set. 30-06 dies are common as dirt. Heck, I might even have a spare set I'd sell cheap if you're interested.

As to bullets, most any 150 to 165gr FMJ or SP should do. There was a guy on gunbroker a while back selling some surplus 147fmj bullets cheap a while back. I'd don't know if they're all sold or not, but that's what I would do if I didn't already have a bunch.

It depends on what you want, and how accurate your rifle is. It seems to me that typically only serious competitors with accurized M1s really benefit very much from match bullets. For my shooting cheaper FMJ works fine.

Honestly a $10 used set from a gun show or eBay would probably work just fine. Very, very few M1s shoot well enough to justify the expense of a fancy die set. 30-06 dies are common as dirt. Heck, I might even have a spare set I'd sell cheap if you're interested.

As to bullets, most any 150 to 165gr FMJ or SP should do. There was a guy on gunbroker a while back selling some surplus 147fmj bullets cheap a while back. I'd don't know if they're all sold or not, but that's what I would do if I didn't already have a bunch.

It depends on what you want, and how accurate your rifle is. It seems to me that typically only serious competitors with accurized M1s really benefit very much from match bullets. For my shooting cheaper FMJ works fine.
Found it, here's the listing. I've never bought anything from this guy and know nothing about them, but it looks like a good deal.

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as dies go. I like pretty brass. Some of the used dies I've bought scratch that pretty brass. I know that doesn't change the way it functions, but it makes it less pretty. Goofy? Maybe yeah. And if a new die set is $35.00+/- and a set that has some rust and may scratch a bit is $15.00, at this time I think I'd like the new set.

I'm not, at this time, going to jump on a great price for a couple thousand of the same bullet. thanks for that link though. It ads "Perspective"! I'll get a couple hundred, of maybe two flavors. Jeez, I don't get to shoot that often! I'm just making sure there aren't one-or three particular bullets styles that the Garand traditionally likes better. It would appear that's not the case. I did a 30 day free Amazon Prime thing so I'm stocking up on some stuff with the free shipping.:D

And regarding the accuracy of my rifle. It might be incredibly accurate! But with my eyesight, and iffy trigger control...Anyway, I though it did pretty good at 75 yards considering who was pulling the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top