JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been looking into doing more long range shooting...

However... I cant see a damn thing after 100m......

I see guys, guys far older than I, hitting 600m with open sights in Garand matches...

Even with glass, people are hitting 1000m

How in the hell do you even do that? Assuming the rifle and the round do their part...

Im way out of my league in this. Even at 100m my sight picture obscures the target. What is point of aim at distances of several hundred M? How do you hit something that you cannot see?

Are my eyes just not good enough? I cant be alone here...

Any pointers?

I see guys, guys far older than I, hitting 600m with open sights in Garand matches...

How in the hell do you even do that? Assuming the rifle and the round do their part...

Im way out of my league in this. Even at 100m my sight picture obscures the target. What is point of aim at distances of several hundred M? How do you hit something that you cannot see?

Any pointers?

An Appleseed event might help a lot.

Other then that a 4x32x50 scope in the $500-800 range will do a lot of good.

Also it has some to do with accurate range info and dialing your scope from zero and adjusting for multiple factors.

Not a long range shooter but those are the basics as I understand them.

Generally, iron sights meant for longer range shooting have thinner front sight posts to prevent them from completely obscuring the target. On top of that generally you adjust the sights for the correct range and then utilize more of a lollipop or dot the I method (allowing the target to be at the top of the sight post making it easier to see).

Personally, I like technology and love shooting with a scoped rifle the glass in a scoped rifle makes a huge difference. If you have poor eye sight look into contacts or prescription safety glasses to allow you to enjoy shooting past 100m.

Thick cardboard white targets help closer in. I got a target cam this year.

I like shooting steel at LR. Not super accurate shot reporting but hitting the gong is a nice sound. If you are handy you can hang a plate in front of another so you get different sounds depending on where you hit.

I also got glasses last year - specifically because I was having a harder time seeing bullet holes farther away. I almost never wear them other then when shooting.

I'm 59 at the end of the month and I can see distances pretty good still. I can't always make stuff out though.
But if it's a large white target I could identify it fairly easy
Now hitting it is a whole different subject:confused:
At work I loved hydraulics
At shooting I love good glass;)

The only long range shooting I have ever done was with a .50 BMG at 1000 yards (32x scope)

After a lot of practice, from a sand bagged vise with hand loads worked up for the rifle... my best 3 shot group was 21". Best 5 shot 30"

Still a lot of fun to take the pickup ride down to look at the target.

These guys that claim 6" groups at 1200 yards with a 6.5 CM... well I am impressed if it's real but I suspect usually the reality is less impressive

Optics!! Man good glass is everything. I bought a really nice Leupold for my AR-10 wasn't top of the line but nice none the less. If I'm not mistaken its 3-9 well lets just say I'm looking for something that has a little more zoom because even at 200 yds I wish it would be closer.

I can see why the guys that do long range shooting spend just as much on glass as they do there rifle. ;)

Ditto, my eyes have always been cruddy (need 9x at 100yds), now at 65yrs they are even worse. I think some people with sharp eyes have won the genetics lottery.

I just don't shoot open sights anymore, but if I did I would be using a peep sight to see as much of the target as I could. Ditto on the big white targets, forget the black x ring!!

I use a 6:00 point of aim. My scopes and some of my irons are set for X number of inches high at 100m. .30-06 at 3" for example.
From that point, everything is adjustable.
Know the trajectory of your round. Although I know how to dial up the scope/sights, I was very good at hold over and Kentucky windage. That's from varmint hunting from childhood in the wilds of NE Nevada. We, often, hunted Jacks or rodents every day!
The 6:00 hold gives you a clearly delineated point of aim, crosshair or frt post at the bottom of the bull. None of the bull is obscured. Good luck on increasing your range! :)

Ya'll need a pair of these babies, right here!!

IMG_3974.JPG

Any pointers?

You might consider trying a service rifle match, such as they have out at Douglas Ridge. I've shot 2 so far and learned a lot about shooting at distance with open sights. My eyes aren't horrible, but they're getting worse as time passes. So, I tend to shoot with glasses.

One thing I learned is that you shouldn't be focusing on the target, rather, you focus on the front sight. If you're not used to doing this, it will take some practice. The target will be blurry, but you can make out the black center of the target - and you simply dot the 'i' as someone else noted above, over the front sight.

In a service rifle match, as distance increases, the size of the target increases, so your sight picture is the same, regardless of distance. My first match, I did a fixed 100 yards. The second match, we did 200, 300 and 600 yards. For a first timer, you take a class the night before the match. They teach you about sight picture, how to adjust your sights for distance and how to score your targets. At DRRC, they have club M1 Garands you can rent for the match - in the class, they'll also teach you how to shoot the Garand.

As @Joe13 recommended, Appleseed would be a good choice too. I'm planning to do one one of these days myself.

One more plug for the service rifle match - if you're new to it, you can count on some experienced folks to give you some great tips and help along the way. No pressure, just learning new techniques.

My eyes are crap for shooting long range even with a scope.

So I donmt even try. 300-MAYBE 500 yards MAX.

It's all about equipment, good eyeballs, and a TON of practice.
Hand loading is almost a must

An Appleseed event might help a lot.

Other then that a 4x32x50 scope in the $500-800 range will do a lot of good.

Also it has some to do with accurate range info and dialing your scope from zero and adjusting for multiple factors.

Not a long range shooter but those are the basics as I understand them.
1x per 100m.
1000m = 10x scope

You might consider trying a service rifle match, such as they have out at Douglas Ridge. I've shot 2 so far and learned a lot about shooting at distance with open sights. My eyes aren't horrible, but they're getting worse as time passes. So, I tend to shoot with glasses.

One thing I learned is that you shouldn't be focusing on the target, rather, you focus on the front sight. If you're not used to doing this, it will take some practice. The target will be blurry, but you can make out the black center of the target - and you simply dot the 'i' as someone else noted above, over the front sight.

In a service rifle match, as distance increases, the size of the target increases, so your sight picture is the same, regardless of distance. My first match, I did a fixed 100 yards. The second match, we did 200, 300 and 600 yards. For a first timer, you take a class the night before the match. They teach you about sight picture, how to adjust your sights for distance and how to score your targets. At DRRC, they have club M1 Garands you can rent for the match - in the class, they'll also teach you how to shoot the Garand.

As @Joe13 recommended, Appleseed would be a good choice too. I'm planning to do one one of these days myself.

One more plug for the service rifle match - if you're new to it, you can count on some experienced folks to give you some great tips and help along the way. No pressure, just learning new techniques.
Next DRRC service Rifle Match is a 100 yard reduced March 24 class, March 25 match.
Good time.:D M-1 rifles, shooting mats and spotting scopes they loan. Also ammo for the match.
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club - Service Rifle Program

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR