JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^^So much this. I subject my guns to enough "abuse" through regular use, submerging them mud and running them over with a truck is not going to tell me anything I don't already know. Youtube torture tests are lame.

Agreed.

The reason I posted those videos is not as a suggestion that you should cover them in mud or even that one is better than the other. It's about perceptions, one of which is that an AR is fragile. The second is that the AK is some sort of weapon designed by Klingons and is unstoppable as well as unbreakable. That, and the 7.62x39 can sink a battleship and still put a hole in the carrier behind it. None of which is true.

All firearms have design trade offs and none of them are perfect. My point was that we need to see them for the machines they are and not so much for what we think they are.

In my case I standardized on a platform so that others in my family who are not "gun people" would have an easier learning curve if the fit hit the shan. The AK was on the list and if it were just me might have fit the bill. I chose the AR for ergonomics, the ability to perform routine maintenance and even major repairs, weight and a whole other slew of factors. I do not regret that decision, but I still respect the hell out of the other common platforms,

Now please excuse me - my cat just walked by my AR and slightly brushed against it, so now I need to put it back together again. Anybody seen my armorer's wrench?

Last Edited:
Another thing I like about the AR platform: 80% receivers and jigs.

We may not be Pakistan and have a back porch industry in firearms made from scrap metal, but with all of the 80% forged receivers, parts kits and complete/partial uppers that can be bought online, we have more than that equivalent - for now.

It wasn't the weapon, it was the ammo and the AR has come a very long way since way since '69.

I'm familiar with the ammo issue issue that plagued the M-16. The M-16 I was issued was two steps above junk. I stayed in the business of using the M-16 professionally and in 2004 was issued an M-4 for CT work. That was a light year in improvements over my first M-16.

Vet buddy of mine who served two tours has a joke about the AK pkatform.

"Who carries AKs? Dead guys."

-E-
Harrumph! Who carried AKs? The winners! There are still complaints about the AR/m4 function in the deserts of Afghanistan, can't say personally but so I have read. The Army is yet again improving on the rifle, calling it the m4a1...

Last Edited:
The appeal? Well, it's easy to use, easy to learn, you can do so many things to the base AR that it's basically the small-block Chevy of the gun world. I learned to shoot on an M16 as a 18 year old Private in the Army back in the 90's after having never picked up a gun before in my life. An M4 was by my side so many times after that thru many deployments. And because of all this, I own an AR today.

But I still prefer my AK over it :D

AR15 , M16 , AK47....
They all do what they were designed to do...and do it well...
Accurate place a projectile on a target.

As for which makes the better combat weapon...
It don't matter...as mentioned the rifles themselves work...
How the soldiers fight and what they do afterwards ..is of far more importance .
Andy

Yeah, selfies with your trophy's, not a cool thing! Who knew?!:rolleyes:
I never allowed that sorta thing to go on..and did my best to not encourage it.

What I was actually meaning with that comment was...
it ain't the rifle that is the most important part of the battle...its how the soldiers use their rifles and other supporting arms during the battle...as well as how the battle is followed up on,,
That is of more importance than just which rifle was used or which rifle is "better"....
Andy

I never allowed that sorta thing to go on..and did my best to not encourage it.
I understood what you were saying my friend, and like you, that sort of conduct sickened me and would never be allowed!:s0155: I was just remembering the incidents that were on the news of some of things that happened.

AR15 , M16 , AK47....
They all do what they were designed to do...and do it well...
Accurate place a projectile on a target.

As for which makes the better combat weapon...
It don't matter...as mentioned the rifles themselves work...
How the soldiers fight and what they do afterwards ..is of far more importance .
Andy
But only one of em doubles as a bottle opener. :rolleyes:

"I got a piston driven AR-180 in 71-72 and much prefer it over the AR-15/M-16."

I hear tell that the Daewoo combines the AR FCG, AK type gas system, FN/FAL style adjustable gas valve.
Unfortunately they are not currently available.

That reminds me. My issued M-4 had a compartment in the pistol grip to store an extra bolt. I'd never heard of carrying a spare bolt for a rifle. Then one day going through a shooting house practicing room clearing with frangible ammunition my M-4 bolt gave out and had to be replaced. Turns out it is a fairly common occurrence, which is why the rifles came with a spare bolt. I won't say a 180 bolt won't break, but I will say mine is still working fine nearly 50 years after it was built.

That reminds me. My issued M-4 had a compartment in the pistol grip to store an extra bolt. I'd never heard of carrying a spare bolt for a rifle. Then one day going through a shooting house practicing room clearing with frangible ammunition my M-4 bolt gave out and had to be replaced. Turns out it is a fairly common occurrence, which is why the rifles came with a spare bolt. I won't say a 180 bolt won't break, but I will say mine is still working fine nearly 50 years after it was built.

Having an extra bolt, firing pin, FP retaining pin, and cam pin on hand is a good plan IMO as it takes car of a lot of potential problems. It doesn't have to be a broken bolt, could be something as simple as a lost FP retaining pin, broken extractor, worn out extractor or ejector spring, damaged/missing gas rings.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top