JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
$2000 for the first AR is a ridiculous budget. IMO you're better off getting a budget/value AR that is to your liking and then shooting / competing with it to determine what specific accessories you're interested in for what your intended uses are rather than what seemed "cool" at first, but with more experience realize is "tactical crap."

This is the answer to your question OP. Up until recently, a well-built/reliable factory-built AR-15 could be acquired for under $500. That's the appeal. A great price for a serviceable rifle.

Save your money OP. There's nothing a $2K AR-15 can do that a $500 AR-15 can't accomplish. An AR-15 wasn't designed to print .47" groups. Save that for your bull-barreled rifle.

Yeah, one ought to spend a bill or two upgrading a mushy stock milspec trigger, but save the rest of your money for optics and the mags/ammo to train with.

Personally, I don't like them and prefer wood stocked rifles so, because of recent events, wish I still had my Rurger Mini14 Ranch Rifle. That being said, to answer your basic question, besides all the great answers posted, is that returning military from Vietnam, and all the Sandbox skirmishes brought home so many trained in their use and familiarity of operation.

When you think about an AR, think outside the box.
There are MANY more than you can imagine.
ar15gifbellswhistles.gif

Last Edited:
Trying to understand the appeal of 5.56 / AR rifles and why there's such demand for them over pistol-caliber AR style pistols.
OP: you've asked a great question that I've struggled with for decades.
There is an amazing depth of responses here on the AR. Know that my own response is embarrassing. I've attempted many times and failed, to adapt to the platform. The virtues of the caliber are not in question, I just don't have much use for it. I'm not a rifle guy in general, and of the few AR pistols I've shot, none have comfortably served my purpose.

This is a highly personal issue that has brought derision & guffaws from those fans of the AR, who are rightly critical of non-believers. Not to confuse your question, the AK/SKS designs have the same <lack of interest> to the point I have none of the entire genre on hand.

Give me a good high wall buffalo single shot or a decent Marlin lever carbine, is a different story.

My AR 'un-obsession' is really un-explainable. Despite basic agreement will all the charms exposed by the fans listed above, somehow my choices remain "none of the above" regardless.

Ultimately, there doesn't really need to be a reason. We're still a somewhat free country. Some people like chocolate. Some like vanilla. Some like Ford. Some like Chevy. If you have the means and desire to own one -or a dozen- there is no need or requirement to justify it. That said, if the country become less free, and the zombies come, I would feel a sense of comfort knowing that I have a source of parts and commonality with the firearm that has been the staple of our armed forces for 60+ years

To me, it is the modularity which ties in with the aftermarket support.

You can get a belt-fed upper. You can get a precision upper. You can get a pistol upper. You can make it into a number of different rifles and you can do all of that with just one lower too.

I'm a rifle newbie. I purchased my first pistol last year for home defense and have since really started to enjoy target shooting, etc. I just purchased a CMMG Banshee 10mm that's classified as a pistol but it certainly resembles an AR.

Trying to understand the appeal of 5.56 / AR rifles and why there's such demand for them over pistol-caliber AR style pistols.

Stupid question, but look forward to the insight.

Welcome to the world of firearms and AR's! I hope you vote for OUR 2A rights next election.

Are we talkin something like a contender with a rifle caliber barrel?

Granted I don't know a lot about a lot but I can't think of another pistol.

I guess a bunch or AR pistols.

Remington XP100 comes to mind. Along with all the AR pistols of course. :)

1) Answer to original question:
De gustibus non est disputandum

2) "I actually think armalite improved on the design when they made the piston driven AR-18/AR-180 but both have their merits."

Then you would also love the Daewoo.
Great rifle, but lacking the modularity of the AR platform.
Or the availability of accessories and spares.
Still a great rifle.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews