JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.22 Auto (or Bolt-Action) -- Ruger 10/22 is a good choice here <---Captain Obvious has spoken
Bolt-Action .308 -- IE. Remy 700 <--- This needs to be <1 moa
AR-15 .556/.223 -- IE. Self-build or any reliable/affordable major brand(Don't overpay here) <-- This does not need to be <1 moa
AK(M) 7.62x39 -- IE. WASR 10, MAK 90, SAR 1 etc.(Don't overpay here) <-- This does not need to be <2 moa
30-30 Lever-Action -- IE. Winchester, Marlin <---Everyone needs a brush gun
12-gauge pump shotgun -- IE. 500, 870 <---CQC, Domicile Protector
.357 MAG revolver -- IE. GP-100/S&W <---While you're blowing your hot loads, your gf/wife can practice with .38 sp
.44 MAG revolver -- IE. Redhawk <---'Cause bears want to know if you feel lucky, punk.
.45 Semi-Auto pistol(Duty-size) -- Pick your poison <---For Open Carry
9mm Semi-Auto pistol(Compact) -- Pick your poison <---For CCW

And then there's the obligatory some sort of surplus rifle of a more obscure caliber - IE Mauser, Mosin, Lee-Enfield, Arisaka, K31 etc. <--- to further mess with one's overall ammo budget.

Oh, and then one absolutely needs a good battle rifle. IE CETME, FN FAL, M14 <--- So much surplus 7.62 NATO, so little time.

I feel like I'm missing something here...

.22 Auto (or Bolt-Action) -- Ruger 10/22 is a good choice here <---Captain Obvious has spoken
Bolt-Action .308 -- IE. Remy 700 <--- This needs to be <1 moa
AR-15 .556/.223 -- IE. Self-build or any reliable/affordable major brand(Don't overpay here) <-- This does not need to be <1 moa
AK(M) 7.62x39 -- IE. WASR 10, MAK 90, SAR 1 etc.(Don't overpay here) <-- This does not need to be <2 moa
30-30 Lever-Action -- IE. Winchester, Marlin <---Everyone needs a brush gun
12-gauge pump shotgun -- IE. 500, 870 <---CQC, Domicile Protector
.357 MAG revolver -- IE. GP-100/S&W <---While you're blowing your hot loads, your gf/wife can practice with .38 sp
.44 MAG revolver -- IE. Redhawk <---'Cause bears want to know if you feel lucky, punk.
.45 Semi-Auto pistol(Duty-size) -- Pick your poison <---For Open Carry
9mm Semi-Auto pistol(Compact) -- Pick your poison <---For CCW

And then there's the obligatory some sort of surplus rifle of a more obscure caliber - IE Mauser, Mosin, Lee-Enfield, Arisaka, K31 etc. <--- to further mess with one's overall ammo budget.

Oh, and then one absolutely needs a good battle rifle. IE CETME, FN FAL, M14 <--- So much surplus 7.62 NATO, so little time.

I feel like I'm missing something here...

I have 7 out of 10 on your list..

I have a Ruger All-Weather-Rifle in .30-06. Check. I have a Weatherby PA459 pump 12ga that is all tacticool. Check. And I have a Glock G19. Check.

Guess I'm good to go...

Also have a .22 Ruger 10/22, three ARs and am building an AR10. Also have a couple of single actions in .45 Colt, a few ,40 S&W handguns, and lots of bullets, primers, and powder.

If I could only grab two guns to run into the woods with, it would be my Glock G29 in 10mm and the .30-06 bolt gun. A third gun would be the 12ga. Fourth would be an AR.

Hopefully, this summer I will have the AR10 built and dialed in. It will be my SHTF rifle.

Good to go with sidearms, but a pistol caliber carbine would be sweet for engaging multiple targets at under 100yds...

I'm surprised to see a .22 handgun on a few lists. I'm curious, what's the reason? Just surprised to see it listed on a short must-have list when a .22 rifle is already listed.

One reason would be shared ammunition. Be it 22lr or 22wmr caliber.

Consolidated caliber firearms for one person, a couple or a family.

Consolidation due to downsizing.

Moving, building a much smaller home on purpose than what you previously owned/built, moving cross country, retirement, moving to live on a sail boat or power boat, old age, some people sell out and travel in motor homes - snowbirds and they have less space for their STUFF.

Plus many people want their stuff aka ALL belongings including guns or one gun, gun gear, ammo and CF or shotgun reloading supplies IF they do reload WITH them and not with a relative or a friend.

Example: I know an older man in his 70's who sold his large home and land. He moved to a smaller place, an apartment, and he still reloads two calibers with a much smaller reloading set up. He said when he stops shooting those last 2 CF guns of his... he will still ALWAYS have his 22lr rifle with him. I do not know if he kept his 22lr handgun but he did own one for a long, long time.

A bulk pack of a good quality ammo (22lr) that you already know works very well for your specific firearms can last you a fair amount of time unless you are competing which I can't see in a emergency situation. You may keep up your SKILLS but you would not be plinking a lot in my opinion. Not that we are talking about emergency situations now just MUST HAVE guns but I decided to throw that in here too.

The same 22lr bulk pack, packs, a case or cases that you choose to own... whether you stay in place - shelter or have to move due to some emergency situation, flood, fire, earthquake, etc. could be packed on your body (One or two boxes depending on the average person.) or if you want to take more with you in your truck, car or van... you could stack it in a reasonable manner.

Another reason 22lr is a good choice, in my opinion, would be if the person has some physical limitations - old or new injuries, arthritis, is elderly and/or is a younger person just starting out in shooting.

Another reason is the cost of 22lr compared to some other ammunition at THIS point of time.

I always thought that having one or more guns in the same caliber was a great idea. Handguns and rifles. (I no longer own, shoot or carry handguns in RF or in CF.)

I think that having 2 guns in the same brand, exact model and caliber is a great idea too. Especially in handguns - conceal or open carry with lots of practice involved!

Good shooting to you.

Old Lady Cate

One reason would be shared ammunition. Be it 22lr or 22wmr caliber.

Consolidated caliber firearms for one person, a couple or a family.

Consolidation due to downsizing.

Moving, building a much smaller home on purpose than what you previously owned/built, moving cross country, retirement, moving to live on a sail boat or power boat, old age, some people sell out and travel in motor homes - snowbirds and they have less space for their STUFF.

Plus many people want their stuff aka ALL belongings including guns or one gun, gun gear, ammo and CF or shotgun reloading supplies IF they do reload WITH them and not with a relative or a friend.

Example: I know an older man in his 70's who sold his large home and land. He moved to a smaller place, an apartment, and he still reloads two calibers with a much smaller reloading set up. He said when he stops shooting those last 2 CF guns of his... he will still ALWAYS have his 22lr rifle with him. I do not know if he kept his 22lr handgun but he did own one for a long, long time.

A bulk pack of a good quality ammo (22lr) that you already know works very well for your specific firearms can last you a fair amount of time unless you are competing which I can't see in a emergency situation. You may keep up your SKILLS but you would not be plinking a lot in my opinion. Not that we are talking about emergency situations now just MUST HAVE guns but I decided to throw that in here too.

The same 22lr bulk pack, packs, a case or cases that you choose to own... whether you stay in place - shelter or have to move due to some emergency situation, flood, fire, earthquake, etc. could be packed on your body (One or two boxes depending on the average person.) or if you want to take more with you in your truck, car or van... you could stack it in a reasonable manner.

Another reason 22lr is a good choice, in my opinion, would be if the person has some physical limitations - old or new injuries, arthritis, is elderly and/or is a younger person just starting out in shooting.

Another reason is the cost of 22lr compared to some other ammunition at THIS point of time.

I always thought that having one or more guns in the same caliber was a great idea. Handguns and rifles. (I no longer own, shoot or carry handguns in RF or in CF.)

I think that having 2 guns in the same brand, exact model and caliber is a great idea too. Especially in handguns - conceal or open carry with lots of practice involved!

Good shooting to you.

Old Lady Cate
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I understand the benefit of consolidating rounds and the use of .22 caliber, I was more curious on what purpose the handgun would serve in a short list of must-have guns. Most members listed rifle/shotgun/handgun with the handgun in 9/45. As you mentioned, in this scenario people wouldn't be plinking. I've always considered a . 22 handgun as a pinker. I wouldn't use it for SD if a better round was available, especially in a SHTF situation. A . 22 rifle makes a lot of sense.

Not trying to start an argument. I was just surprised to see it on a few lists and was curious about the reasoning behind it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top