JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pistol in NATO caliber
Bolt rifle in NATO caliber (.308 is a solid choice)
12 gauge shotgun (pump preferred for simplicity)
22 rifle in bolt flavor

Four weapons everyone should own.
My grandfather who passed away quite a few years ago shared a bit of wisdom.

Only have calibers that you can find ammunition for anywhere.

This stemmed from the 40's and 50's where common calibers were not the same as today but the logic is still there.

More likely some kind of Witness relocation program. :D:rolleyes:

Ha ha! This!

B2E1F986-5A00-4BAA-9946-981FDA2B4B73.jpeg

Rem 700 in 30-06, Rem 870 in 12ga (duh), Glock 23 in 40 S&W, and wait for it...........a full Custom AK 74, magpul folding stock, Midwest top rail, Nodak reciever, Red Star trigger , Leupold 1.5x4, vikings Tactics sling. This gun will give you a woody.....get sum........:)

Sad thing is you would probably beat me in a three gun match with that a black powder revolver and a blunderbuss...

Not sad...just years of practice with the same rifle and same load.

Anyone can learn to shoot well ...proper sight alignment , trigger squeeze and steady hold...is all that it takes.
Practice to develop those skills ...with the same gun and the same load under all shooting conditions , both on and off the range...

And that 's it...that is the big secret to my shooting skill...practice.
Andy

"Always have guns"? How many are we talking? Enough to bug out with? Enough to provide with in a SHTF scenario?

I'd say: short range, long range, food-gatherer and self defense. Staying away from semi auto's if at all possible (go ahead, flame on!). Semi's have more moving parts. Stay with fewer moving parts. Pump's and bolt actions. As mentioned before, common calibers that are readily available.

Me? Probably a 22 rifle and pistol for protection and food-gathering. (If a well placed 22 will drop a deer, it can do damage to other "animals" if well placed. ;) ) A 308 and/or 223 (5.56). A pump shotgun.

My response now is different compared to when I was younger and did not have arthritis.

Now...

CZ 455 Lux bolt action rifle - 22lr.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

Past and previously owned firearms by me. Top choices out of my various firearms as in a must have or must keep.

A. Lever action rifle in 22lr or in 22wmr but the 22lr Caliber would be my First Choice.

Favorite brands and models of mine:

Browning BL 22
Winchester 94-22
Made in CT Marlin Golden 39A
Henry large loop carbine
Henry Golden Boy in 22lr and/or in a 22wmr.

I would choose one (Or all as I previously did!) of the above and ADD the CZ bolt action 22lr rifle that I shoot now. I discovered that I do LOVE TO SHOOT specific, simple and pretty to me (Grin.) bolt action rifles.

Either way... I would always have a 22lr rifle as a FIRST CHOICE in a bolt action rifle or in a lever action rifle.

NO scopes on any of my past or present rifles.

B. Ruger single action revolver - 22lr/22wmr.

C. Lever action rifle in 30-30. Real walnut stock and blued steel or real walnut stock and stainless steel.

D. Depending on my location (Back east and out here.) - if I did not have, need or WANT a CF caliber rifle in 30-30, 357 Magnum or in 45 Long Colt... my THIRD choice would be a CF handgun.

Glock Model 19

or

Ruger single action revolver or Smith and Wesson double action revolver in 357Magnum and have extra ammo in 38Special. (Plus P if the mood struck me.) I would choose that SAME caliber for a handgun as I did in the PAST after my first gun (Glock) in 9mm and BEFORE my 45Long Colt and gifted 44Magnum handguns and pistol caliber CF rifles.

I no longer own, carry or shoot handguns.

I never owned a shotgun but I did consider buying one on and off in the past. I have only shot a few shotguns in my entire life too. I no longer have the desire to own a shotgun.

Old Lady Cate
Added more.

Last Edited:
Well, I'm not getting rid of any of mine, so the last ones I'll have are all of them.

A more appropriate question are which guns do I never go to the range without. That's a slightly easier question.

First, my Winchester Model 52 .22lr, which is one of my newer accusations, is rapidly becoming my best stress reliever. It's accurate, inexpensive to shoot, and it was made before WWII.

Next, some sort of Springfield .30-06 rifle. 1903, 1903 match, 03 sporter, 03a3, 03a4, Garand, etc. That reminds me, I need to reload some more .30-06 or find another can of HXP.

I suppose I usually take a pistol of some sort. My Glock 43 is always on my ankle, but doesn't get shot that often. I suppose the M&P 9mm or the S&W 1911 in .45acp with the .22 conversion usually end up in the range bag as well.

Yeah. Most of my stuff is old. I don't plan on getting rid of anything, unless it's to buy something else, so I'll never be limited to three. Even most range trips end up with 5-10 taken along.

And I don't expect how people would expect me to keep myself busy without my two dozen project guns too...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top