JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get asked variations of this regularly so here is my answers;

30.06 bolt gun, Long in the tooth but still the caliber all others are compared to and ammo is readily available. My suggestion would be a .308 with even more options and availability of ammunition.

12ga pump shotgun, I like the versatility of a 26" full choke Certainly the best gauge but I'd go with a set of choke tubes.

.22 long rifle bolt action rifle, just a great light easy to carry small game feed your family kind of a rifle. No question about this but you might want to consider a Suppressor.

lastly a 45acp auto or 357 revolver, either one is a defensive tool that is easy to have on you rather than propped up against a fence post or left in the truck. I would go with both. The .45 with a Suppressor and a long time and a Leupold Scope of a Smith and Wesson 586+.

I might even want to add a Suppressed Smith and Wesson Model 41.

Of course, you need to have as much ammunition for all of them as you can get. Add on replacement parts and your set to go.

Every one should have one of these.
There on sale for 149.thats 40 bucks off the original price.lol I would order one but I just spent a weeks worth of pay on a Rifle lol Screenshot_2019-01-25_231443.jpg

Remington 700 .30-06
Marlin model 1895CBA .45-70 Gov't
Mossberg 500 12 gauge
Smith & Wesson model 686 .357 magnum
Marlin model XT-22VR .22lr

All useful (and available - sometimes) calibers and all simple guns to work on for the most part.

And a Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm just for fun. :p

My single "only" would be I think (somewhat reluctantly) my 12 ga 870 extended mag, tritiums, ... Shoots slugs buck and bird equally well. My retired work shottie.
:eek:Thats if I could only have one for everything. That weapon has been with me since my 20's..
Given some choices and depending on the situ, well, Ruger MkI (my first pistol), old Mossberg bolt action tube-fed .22, .308 BLR, and either AR15 or AK 7,62X39, and a .357. I know this because Ive been there while living in a cabin in the woods. Kinda miss those days.

Beginner question: there seems to be be an overall preference for .22 LR in bolt-action in this thread. Why is that? Is it mainly because bolt-action is more reliable than semi-auto?

The reason I ask is, I own a Ruger 10/22 and was thinking of buying a second as a back-up (the one-is-none principle). Assuming I can only buy one more .22 LR rifle, would it be better to buy one in bolt-action? In that case I would be looking at a Ruger American rifle.

Last Edited:
I like a .22LR bolt action because as a general rule , they can be less picky with ammo , than many semi auto rifles.

That said , all rifles are different....a Ruger 10/22 is a very reliable rifle.
Andy

.22 semiautos aren't very reliable, and its not because the designs are bad as much as it is just the nature of the beast with .22 LR.

Some semiautos are more reliable than others, but bolt action .22 LRs are more reliable. But with decent ammo semiautos like the 10/22 should be reliable. Which means cross Remington off the list of ammo to get.

Well, I like M-14 style rifles so
M1A or similar (LRB, James River, Fulton etc)
1911 in 45
Glock 19
Mossberg 590A1
Ruger 22/45
Ruger 10/22
AR-15
And a big garden wagon to pull them and their ammo around

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR