JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everytime I go there it seems theres more stuff missing, almost 70-75% of the presses are empty slots on the shelf, the dies and small parts I've been waiting for haven't been restocked in months. The bullet section is almost non existant, with big lapses on the shelf.
Is it there is fewer people reloading these days? They seem to have a large selection of rifles and handguns, but the floor displays of discounted handgun ammo is gone, and I didn't see much ammo around period come to think about it.
Its almost like they're waiting to sell off their existing stock before discontinuing carrying it.
Its a shame cause there is a real need for a full stocked reloading supply store in the Salem area.

Last Edited:
Same thing that's happened to their ammo selection. And their holster selection. Their gun selection became really pathetic, but the last time I was there, I will say their selection in guns has improved somewhat. Hope they keep that part up.

I keep trying, but it's been a long time since I've made any kind of worthwhile purchase there.

WAYNO.

I think it the opposite. Much more demand. I don't shop there much for hunting/gun supplies cuz what I want is out. I'm still in there once a week for fishing stuff.

It's pretty typical this time of year for stores to be low in stock. New orders placed at the SHOT show, depeleted inventory from Christmas etc....

Vancouver store manager is Matt Selders (is a member here). Believe his moniker for the website is (cleverly) MattSelders. See what he knows via a PM. In a thread "Buffoonery at Wholesale Sports", he seemed to be willing to help with just about any concern.

Also, Greenbug might be on the right track. Retailers here can confirm or refute this, but I believe they have to pay taxes on shelf inventory. If annual inventory accounting has not taken place, they might reduce shelf stock prior to this assesssment.

As far as bullets for reloading go the shelves have been mostly empty of common pistol bullets, maybe a better selection of high end defensive? They were this way before Christmas, and then two weeks later, and then two weeks after that....I finaly quit going in to look to see if there was anything I wanted. They were out of a common hand gun RCBS shellholder for a month or so.

I was looking for powder not available at Bimart one day and there were three (or four?) employees at the gun counter having a good old time jawing with one customer looking guy. I was looking at the (lack of) bullets and found the powder (maybe six or seven types) way up on the top shelf with the "Ask for assistance" sign..... There's nobody else in the store for hell sakes! I wasn't going to interupt their gab session.

I'd had some pretty good experiences at the gun counter at the Johnson Creek store. but as for as reloading inventory goes I don't think they care one bit about that.

I was going to put my two cents in on the "buffoonery" post and didn't, doesn't seem like anybody really cares any way as all the Sportsman's Wharehouse stores seem to have the same problems with no fix coming.

If ya' got a Bimart they're good with powder, small quantity bullets and primers.

Mike

I disagree with the idea that the lack of inventory is a seasonal thing; it was like this long before the holidays, and its been going on a month and a half and all I see is current inventory being sold off and no replacement. Theres more holes on their shelves than swiss cheese.

Settle down kids ,settle down.
Between Christmas and inventory,they let the stocks go down and they restock here pretty soon....I hope

I know the one in Silverdale sells a ton of reloading supplies.I don't think I have ever been in there that there wasn't plenty of customers grabbing some powder or bullets.

I was on a road trip today and swung in the Salem store. Needed some cleaning brushes.....they didn't have any that I needed. Wanted to pick up one of those target plastic reactive balls......nope, nothing but 10 empty hooks of any kind of reactive targets. Went to check for bullets.....nope all out of ANY 9mm except cast. Went to buy powder......sorry out of that one. Most reloading accessories hooks were all bare. Sorry, I don't buy the inventory stuff, it's Feb already.... I won't waste my time stopping there anymore.

I was on a road trip today and swung in the Salem store. Needed some cleaning brushes.....they didn't have any that I needed. Wanted to pick up one of those target plastic reactive balls......nope, nothing but 10 empty hooks of any kind of reactive targets. Went to check for bullets.....nope all out of ANY 9mm except cast. Went to buy powder......sorry out of that one. Most reloading accessories hooks were all bare. Sorry, I don't buy the inventory stuff, it's Feb already.... I won't waste my time stopping there anymore.

That last sentace tells it all right there! If anybody really gave a damn they would order more cases of a particular bullet. If one case of .45 sells in three days but orders come once every ten days, a store that wants to serve the customer would order three cases, that is simple common sense. All, or most stores like these days are auto ordering, bar codes keep track of sales and order automaticly. These huge stores with continually empty spots on their shelves, with 20 employees just standing around yaking, can be nothing but some kind of tax write-off.

It's a bizzaro society we live in where business can make money somehow by losing money.

Mike

I guess if it was individually owned the person in charge would make damn sure the shelves were stocked, offering all kinds of incentives. But a corporation that owns many stores may not give a darn what a store in Salem returns as long as the overall profit margin of the other stores combined is high enough for the management to feel the Company is operating at a profit.

That's OK cause the Wholesale store in Bend is so far from wholesale it is crazy how much they charge. When they did have primers they were 3.50 per 100 that is more than Bi-Mart.. Where is the wholesale part????????????????

The Wholesale Sports on SE 82nd in Portland has a lot more reloading stock right now than I have seen in a while. They also have a $20 off $100 purchase coupons at the register. Good through 2/29/2012.

The Wholesale Sports on SE 82nd in Portland has a lot more reloading stock right now than I have seen in a while. They also have a $20 off $100 purchase coupons at the register. Good through 2/29/2012.

DUDE! If I go down there and they STILL don't have Speer OR Sierra 9mm, .38 special or .45 bullets for reloading, I'm comin' for ya'.
Just kidding man...... It will be worth a look I think.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top