JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see if I get it so far...

• The AK may or may not be more reliable than the AR in a world that precludes regular cleaning and maintenance of the weapon.

• A cheap AK is a lot more likely to work reliably than a cheap AR.

• The 7.62 AK wins in penetration while 5.56 AR wins in accuracy, i.e. effective range.

• If mobility is key, then the AR wins with lower weapon and ammo weight.

• The 5.56 is easier to shoot quickly with accuracy, and is easier for the new shooter.

• Evil appearance is in the eye of the beerholder. I'll bet there are tons of guys in SE Asia who think the M16 profile is evil incarnate.

Sniperpistol.jpg

AR or AK? This subject is :s0013:

But a serious consideration should be what you have TRAINED with.

Since Uncle Sam has given milions of us (veterans) training on AR's for going on 50 years now, I'm having a hard time understanding why this subject is is brought up as often as it is.

I have had formal training on both platforms. But far more of it was on AR's. I have nothing against the AK. I KNOW it is a very capable platform but this is why I did not give the AK any serious consideration when I bought my SHTF rifles.

My input would be that in a SHTF scenario something that is quiet/defensive and doesn't draw attention to yourself. In an urban enviroment I just don't see the practicality of strutting around with an AK/AR. You'd be picked off in minutes. Maybe I am wrong. That famous Argentinian that wrote the survival book said focus on weapons you can conceal and lay low.

As for home defense, a shotgun would seem like the likely choice.

My input would be that in a SHTF scenario something that is quiet/defensive and doesn't draw attention to yourself. In an urban enviroment I just don't see the practicality of strutting around with an AK/AR. You'd be picked off in minutes. Maybe I am wrong. That famous Argentinian that wrote the survival book said focus on weapons you can conceal and lay low.

As for home defense, a shotgun would seem like the likely choice.

There is no way I can find the article now, but I believe the Rifleman or similar NRA publication had a several page spread on a fellow that carried an AK in his hands and an AR on his back while defending his neighborhood from marauding looters during Katrina. He didn't have to point or shoot, just pose, and this was enough to discourage anyone from pillaging.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top