JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even though I think the 5.45x39 is superior to the 5.56x45, it is corrosive ammo. Something you don't want in a SHTF scenario. And I think 5.56x45 is better than 7.62x39. So...... AR-15

Nothing wrong with direct impingement. For instance, a MAS in its original 7.5x54, also a direct impingement system, is one of the most reliable firearms available, and developed a reputation for solid, trouble free service from Algeria to Vietnam.

The development of the two systems centered around different goals. The AR was designed to be a lightweight, accurate rifle capable of delivering rapid precision fire out to 500 yards, a staple of American combat training. Its capabilities to also deliver full-auto fire was secondary. The AK was designed first and foremost as a machine gun, and one that could be easily manufactured en masse by relatively simple manufacturing processes. Extreme accuracy was of secondary importance. Both succeeded with their goals.

For many reasons, the 5.56x45 is a superior round over the 7.62x39. The Soviets saw this when they inspected M16s captured in Vietnam, which directly led to the introduction of the 5.45x39 round in the early 70s. The new round still retained the earlier's tapered case however, because of the extraction issue I talked about previously.

The AR family's perceived reputation for poor reliability will most likely haunt it forever, similar to the reputation that US made automobiles have when compared to cars made in Japan or Germany. Not necessarily true by today's standards, but the myth remains because the statements were quite true 40 years ago. Unlike the AK, which had years of design testing and modification before it was cleared for use in combat, the M16 was rolled out as a 'beta' model. After battle, many of these early rifles were found lying next to their dead owners with spent cases stuck in the chambers and cleaning rods shoved into the barrels in futile attempts to remove them. This mental image persists to this day.

Yes corrosive ammunition is an issue, but disassembly of an AK is so simple and the tolerances are so loose, that removing the KCl residue with hot water is a simple matter, and the rifle can literally be wiped down with used motor oil and it will not affect its function.

I've owned many examples of each system over the years. All of the ARs have come and gone; I've never retained one for an extended period of time (although if I could find a a decent Colt SP-1, that would be assured a place in my safe for many, many years). I still have most of my AKs, however. If I had my druthers, I'd pick an AK. Or a 10-22 :) .

Keith

Hahaha.. man i think i watch to much walking dead though for real... I'm leaning towards the AK also... It does have a reputation of being a more reliable gun... remember you're trying to have a gun that doesn't have so many little intricate parts and is easy to maintain and stuff and as for the comments of "get both" Come on your trying to GET THE F*** to safety you would have a hard time carrying 2 guns around with you.. haha KEEP IT coming guys this is all very good!

This is a stupid question that's been beaten to death. If you prepare adequately by stocking spare parts, lube, etc, you can use an AK or AR, despite either platform's mild downsides.

When in doubt, get both. And 1000000 rounds for each, but no magazines! Single load each round, then you won't have to worry about mag failures. Don't worry about food, shelter, or water. You'll have so many bullets, people will just be giving you things, if not you'll single shot them.
-_____- : sarcasm:

This has got to stop! Every time this subject comes up, you guys increase the rifle/ammo count! Most importantly is the ammo count. First it was 2K each, than 5K, than 10K. I'm stopping at 1000K, I'm sick of eating Ramen noddles!

Lefty.

i think id go ar thats what i used in the service ammo is light its more accurate than the ak by far you dont need any more penetration than this for people being a civillian i can use hp or sp ammo as well :D which is devastating on flesh if i want more power ill use a 3006

I vote AK. Anything too far/too big to be killed with an AK is probably going to require more than a .223 anyway.

At this point, there's enough .223 and 7.62x39 ammo and spare parts for both ARs and AKs in this country that I wouldn't be concerned with it, assuming that YOU stock up for what ever you buy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top