JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have 8 1903 and 03a3, a few original, mostly sporterized guns. They are fairly smooth. If the sights are done well and you are looking for a good compromise between cost and smoothness, that might be just the ticket.

Sounds good to me, and i'm sure you mentioned something about if i ever get a 1903 :)

*Maybe* this is when i do :D

Sigh…..They are still the same caliber.

Perhaps you really mean cartridges and not calibers.
Right, i said that in my other reply to you and in the first post and again in the 5th, for reasons to stopping calibre sprawl.

Whilst they're all technically .30 cal, you cannot interchange their cartridges, and as sticking to .30 cal to stop sprawl makes no sense, then one must have to reason that i mean the specific calibre of cartridge.

Before that stupid Oregon background check law went into effect last August, I would have bought two or more bolt action rifles in the time it takes a thread like this to come to a conclusion.

I had an M77 MkII in .308 that was pretty buttery. Not sure if they're all that way but mine sure was. I'm not a sharpshooter by any stretch but it seemed pretty accurate in my hands.

If you care to come down to ARPC (or Sweet Home for a non-shooting visit), you are welcome to play with several sporters to see if you like them. I have about six different sight set-ups that you can try to see what you like. And the collection only gets bigger every month it seems.

Looks like the Smith is pretty nice, good price for it, but i don't see iron sights?

The Savage? no iron sights? i'm not sure as i can't find one that's just the 110, sorry, that's probably just me. But NM, they're all >$1000!!

The JC Higgens looks interesting too :) But the Ruger is way out of my price range for a fun rifle.
A good gunsmith can mount you some iron sights on that Smith & Wesson 1500 for pretty much peanuts.

Here's the Springfield family. The one with the buckhorn sights is second from the left I believe.

image.jpeg

Sometimes I am amazed at how well the old 1903 Springfield's can shoot! Here is one I built up a few years ago. The action had been drilled for the 3/8" Target scope blocks, so I wasn't butchering a virgin action. I Also had this set of original Redfield Olympic target sights laying around. So I stuck those on there.

The barrel is a Douglas military taper. It was on sale when I was looking for a barrel for it...:D
I have never shot it with a scope. After taking it out and running a few rounds thru it to break it in. I started shooting for accuracy. This "old" rifle will put them thru the same hole at 100 yards, if I do my part. It is simply impressive! I love the peep sights on it. The front sight has different inserts, so you can pick what works best for your eye.

1903.jpg

Another one that is overlooked some is the 1917 Eddystone. They have great actions and are pretty smooth. Tons of them have been converted to hunting rifles and can be had at very fair prices!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top