JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check Cabelas used rack. They some times have 03 Springfields. You can also post up an add here on the forum and see what pops up! I wish you were close to me, one of my local shops has several "stock" 03's as well as Lee Enfields that were lend lease returns! A few '98 Mausers and a few C.G. service rifles post ww2! Maybe MountainBear has a barreled action to sell or trade that could be a good base from which to rebuild/restore from!
Where are you at?

Previuosly mentioned, and I thought I would like to contribute my 2cents. All matching U.S. military rifles are not the norm, it happens sure. My experience with ww2 vintage rifles is that they have been disassembled and put back together so many times in the military parts get confused. take the m1 carbine for example both at the original manufacture point and in the unit they are very unlikely to have parts from just one manufacturer, early on it was realized that some manufacturers were better at, and more efficent at making a particular part so these parts were sent to all the different makers. that is why a serious collector will know the difference between "as manufactured" and "as issued". if you come across a carbine or garand touted as "all matching" be assured it has been put that way by another collector.

I get very sad when I see a war veteran some one has taken and "Improved" , putting it back to original configuration is usually my goal. I currently have a british smle on my project list (#4mk1)eventually I'll find new wood for it.

frankly if you want a sporter configuration rifle, buy one, It can get very costly to sporterize military guns.

And to clarify again, i do not want a sporter config rifle. I want an original type, i don't care if it's matching, but i'd like it to be how it was intended/designed to be.

I will also say i tried a Tika in Sportsmans yesterday, dang that bolt is smooth!

I am so happy to hear of your good fortune with scopes. I worked in gunsmithing for a few years and saw a lot of broken scopes. The o.p. wanted something that wouldn't break the bank and the pushfeed 70 has the flat bottom reciever, intergral recoil lug and easily adjustable trigger going for it, as well as iron sights, and a reciever drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. Controlled feed is nice to have, granted, but in a range gun not necessary.

Still, a push feed Winchester Model 70 is heresy. It is an abomination to traditionalists like myself. Touching one would certainly cause my hands to burst into flames.

The only real Model 70's are controlled feed.

If only we could bring back the Spanish Inquisition, we could then torture everyone that shoots a push-feed Model 70, :eek::eek:

5632643a.jpg

Last Edited:
And to clarify again, i do not want a sporter config rifle. I want an original type, i don't care if it's matching, but i'd like it to be how it was intended/designed to be.

I will also say i tried a Tika in Sportsmans yesterday, dang that bolt is smooth!

If you like the Tikka T3, you would love a Thompson Center Venture. They are quite a rifle, and was created to specifically compete with the T3. It is in the same price category ( actually even more affordable ), and they are 100% American made, and not imported like the Tikka.

It has a better trigger, in my opinion, and a nicer Hogue brand stock. A standard blued model can be had for as low as $460:

Thompson Center Venture Compact 308 Win 20" Brl : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568839279)

Very ergonomic rifle, and made in the USA by Smith & Wesson ( which purchased Thompson Center some years ago ).

I think that you would like it more than a Tikka. The rifle comes with a 1 MOA guarantee, too.

However, for just $25 more, you could get the same Venture, but with Thompson Center's incredible WeatherShield finish, that is super rust resistant. Completely protects the rifle. That is the model that I would get. Having a rifle that will not rust is a plus here in the Pacific Northwest.

Pretty handsome gun too:

417079741038.jpg

Venture 308 Win. 22" Composite Stock, Weather shi : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567452084)

Here is some more info on the T/C Venture WeatherShield:

T/C Venture™ Weather Shield® - Thompson/Center (https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/venture/venture-weather-shield)

Last Edited:
Hmm, very interesting, i notice the marking of Smith&Wesson as well, so they still use that on the gun?

So the Ruger American has a smooth bolt, but has a 'zzzzzzzz' feel to it, which i'm *GUESSING* is the turning not being as smooth as it could be on the bolt? Is that the case? and if so, can i polish that up without causing problems with the action?

Hmm, very interesting, i notice the marking of Smith&Wesson as well, so they still use that on the gun?

So the Ruger American has a smooth bolt, but has a 'zzzzzzzz' feel to it, which i'm *GUESSING* is the turning not being as smooth as it could be on the bolt? Is that the case? and if so, can i polish that up without causing problems with the action?

Well, when Smith & Wesson purchased Thompson Center, they did the same to it, that Sako did when it purchased the original Tikka company. The original T/C factory in New Hampshire was shut down, some employees were offered transfers, and production was moved to S&W facilities in Springfield, MA. So that is why the Smith & Wesson name is on every Thompson Center gun now. They are now made at S&W's main factory location.

So neither the original Tikka or Thompson Center companies exist anymore. They are now just name brands used by Beretta and Smith & Wesson, respectively.

The Ruger American would definitely be the most affordable option. I've seen it in blued 308 models selling as low as $360 - $370. And in stainless steel for as low as $450.

I mainly wanted to mention the T/C Venture since so many people tend to overlook it. You might have to call around some to find a dealer that carries it, though.

Since you have already handled the Tikka T3, you should find a dealer with the Ruger American and Thompson Center Venture, and compare them to each other and also the Tikka.

Just see which one you prefer. Odds are that you should like at least one of them. Did you ask Sportsman's Warehouse about either the Ruger American or T/C Venture? A good salesman should have showed you some additional similar rifles. And these 3 all pretty much compete against each other.

I didn't ask about anything else, and in fact he suggested the Tika without me prompting.

I like the fact these are now two rifle options from essentially Sako and Smith, it explains why Smith don't make that other rifle anymore.

If i end up going modern, i will certainly be checking these out more so, at the moment, i'd love to get a decent 1903, but i don't know about that, availability and pricing etc, seem to cause me worries.

I didn't ask about anything else, and in fact he suggested the Tika without me prompting.

I like the fact these are now two rifle options from essentially Sako and Smith, it explains why Smith don't make that other rifle anymore.

Actually, the Tikka is now technically a Beretta, since Beretta purchased Sako a few years after Sako purchased Tikka. Both the T3 box and gun have the Beretta USA logo on them:

tikka.jpg

I couldn't agree more but for one thing. The FN actions are nice, but no longer manufactured, and that has been the case for quite a few years now. I have what was once a Model 50 that my Dad gave me many years ago. The barrel became shot out and I completely upgraded the rifle 20 years ago and it now has a beautifully figured walnut stock and a Lilja barrel. Still in 30-'06. Timney trigger. The gunsmith who prettied it up had a bunch of those FN actions and he said he was getting around $600 just for the actions alone. If you can get one of those old JC's for a decent price, get after it. Another good rifle would be the old Husqvarna.

I couldn't agree more but for one thing. The FN actions are nice, but no longer manufactured, and that has been the case for quite a few years now. I have what was once a Model 50 that my Dad gave me many years ago. The barrel became shot out and I completely upgraded the rifle 20 years ago and it now has a beautifully figured walnut stock and a Lilja barrel. Still in 30-'06. Timney trigger. The gunsmith who prettied it up had a bunch of those FN actions and he said he was getting around $600 just for the actions alone. If you can get one of those old JC's for a decent price, get after it. Another good rifle would be the old Husqvarna.

I agree on the Husqvarna. The 1600 lightweight rifle is damn good for the money. I've seen them sell for $400.00 locally and it's about the closest thing to the revered pre 64 model 70 featherweight, that I can think of. It has a smooth bolt and factory iron sights. All of which the OP mentions he'd prefer on a nice bolt action rifle. It's also a controlled round feed mauser derivative, if that floats his boat. I know I have a preference for a good CRF rifle. Here's a good one listed on GB:

Husqvarna Model 1600 .30/06 Small Ring Long Mag : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568817245)

I agree on the Husqvarna. The 1600 lightweight rifle is damn good for the money. I've seen them sell for $400.00 locally and it's about the closest thing to the revered pre 64 model 70 featherweight, that I can think of. It has a smooth bolt and factory iron sights. All of which the OP mentions he'd prefer on a nice bolt action rifle. It's also a controlled round feed mauser derivative, if that floats his boat. I know I have a preference for a good CRF rifle. Here's a good one listed on GB:

Husqvarna Model 1600 .30/06 Small Ring Long Mag : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568817245)
That is a SWEET Husky! Never turn your nose up at a nice old Husquvarna! To bad i'm not looking for another rifle, I would jump on that one!

$600 for a FN mauser action? If that's the case I have a dozen I will sell him!
The JC's were mfg by a few of the bigger companies. But they all used FN and ww2 German actions.
All great rifles!

I like allot of the rifles mentioned. The Ruger American is still a good choice if you didn't get a 1903. But then again a husqvarna is a good rifle and the the tikka is also.

At this point, i would really like to get a decent military spec 1903a3.

If none of that pans out, i'm thinking i'll settle for the Ruger, Tikka or Thompson.

I ran a want to buy ad specifically looking for a JC Higgins model 51 and after a few months, a guy called me and said he wanted to sell his late uncles model 51 that he had inherited years ago.
It had been fired 6 times, cleaned and put back in the original box.
I paid his asking price of $325.00 and then mounted a Leupold Vari-X 3 scope that I had waiting for it. I bought the Warne rings right out of the factory in Tualatin.
You never know what will show up when placing a wanted ad.
It's the smoothest bolt action that I own.

JC Higgins 001.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews