JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a good price these days, so can be new or old, preferably .270, 30.06 or .308

I'd like something with a bolt for myself (wife has two) and i wondered what i could get for a reasonable price, to qualify that, this rifle is purely for fun paper shooting etc.

Thanks.

Nice, looks good, it's probably at the top of my price range for a new gun though (for future reference in this thread)

I'm now wondering if i want to get something with iron sights? thoughts?

Prefer a gun with iron sights. A whizbang super cool scope your "friend" (who has 5 minutes more gun experience than you) recommended, will fail just when you need it. No scope is unbreakable, many a hunting trip has been ruined by a broken scope. Personally I would find a nice push feed model 70.

The USA FN M-70 clone, not cheap. The 110 series Savages, they sound clunky until you grease em and run the action 100 times, then they become smooth, Ruger M-77. I'd stay away from the newer Rems, not worth the money

Find yourself a Smith & Wesson model 1500, or a Howa model 1500. They are identical to a Weatherby Vanguard. All are made by Howa. The accuracy on this model is legendary. I know it's available in .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .270 Win. I recommend the Smith & Wesson because the workmanship and wood is great, but the price will be around $300 for this discontinued model. I got an S&W 1500 in .30-06, and I love it so much that when my daughter sent me shopping for a deer rifle for my son-in-law I found an S&W 1500 in .300 Win Mag for $325. For that price you get a rifle built on the same factory line, from the same plans and specs as the Weatherby Vanguard. I took mine to the range to sight it in one year, and fired 3 shots that grouped 3/4" dead center. I then jokingly said, "I guess I'm done." The spotter for my lane said, "Well, fire one more just for luck." My 4th shot was a spinner, dead center. I said, "I'm going home now."

I have a howa 1500 in 308 that I really like. The bolt is pretty smooth but the accuracy on it is what keeps it coming out of the safe. I have the kryptec highlander with the heavy barrel and hogue stock. It's a nice factory setup, but no irons on it if that's what you are after.

Looks like the Smith is pretty nice, good price for it, but i don't see iron sights?

The Savage? no iron sights? i'm not sure as i can't find one that's just the 110, sorry, that's probably just me. But NM, they're all >$1000!!

The JC Higgens looks interesting too :) But the Ruger is way out of my price range for a fun rifle.

Ruger American in .308 or whatever other caliber you like. Very well made rifle that is Smooth, no iron sights but a nice set of high viz sights can be installed no problem. Drilling and tapping the barrel is not a problem. And I happen to know a person that can do it.

Or an older Remington 700 are also a good choice along with Winchester model 70's.
But my first pick would be the Ruger.

Don't let the lack of iron sights stop you from getting something! It can be done.

It's funny you should mention the American, it's one i'd been eyeing up since i saw it's release, generally recommended too.

I hadn't considered the option of retro fitting iron sights, does it look fitting for the rifle when done?

I think from suggestions and options available, the following are rifles i think i'd like so long as i can realistically keep the calibre choices. (in no particular order)

1) Ruger American (if iron sighted)
2) Something from this era, last century. (would need to be in a similar price range)
3) Something more modern, but with factory iron sights.

I'd love another period piece, but the price for weapons in those calibres are going to be the killer. If it was a really classic piece, i'd consider whatever it's calibre is, like .303 British for example.

I've got a thing for Remington 700s.
My wife has one of the kit versions in .270win, she loves it, there's certainly nothing that special about it.

She also has a bolt 783, she wanted a 30.06 and we acquired it brand new, really cheaply ($200 after sale and rebate) and despite it's really plain looks and simple, no frills construction, it's supposed to be really accurate.

With all the recommendations presented I'd opt for a Howa/et al
apparently they shoot like heck, and loads of after mkt 'stuff' for em

I did see one on gunbroker for ~$400 ish, NIB, gotta compare it to the Ruger American though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top