JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So it's certainly looking like a possibility to get the 1903, assuming the price i saw wasn't a freak low-ball.

I'll go look up the 1917 as i haven't heard of it before, assuming also 30.06? Either way, i guess i need to start looking for not just a 1903, but what to *look for* when getting one.

Prefer a gun with iron sights. A whizbang super cool scope your "friend" (who has 5 minutes more gun experience than you) recommended, will fail just when you need it. No scope is unbreakable, many a hunting trip has been ruined by a broken scope.

Somehow I have managed to hunt my entire life without ever breaking a scope.

Personally I would find a nice push feed model 70.

A push feed Winchester Model 70 is absolute heresy. They are not a true Model 70, in my opinion. I've always loved how the traditional Model 70 controlled feed action works.

Right, i said that in my other reply to you and in the first post and again in the 5th, for reasons to stopping calibre sprawl.

Whilst they're all technically .30 cal, you cannot interchange their cartridges, and as sticking to .30 cal to stop sprawl makes no sense, then one must have to reason that i mean the specific calibre of cartridge.

Well, when it comes to ammo, you are going to be able to easily find affordable 308 Win ammo that is good for plinking, target shooting. Winchester and Federal both make standard "White Box" loads that can be found on sale at low prices.

So to me, caliber wise, the 308 Win has the definite edge, unless you plan to reload your own ammo. It will be much more affordable to shoot.

If you want to get a new rifle, I've seen the Savage Hog Hunter in 308 listed as low as $450. It is a nice compact 20 inch carbine, with iron sights. Could be used for hunting, self-defense, or just plinking:

Savage-Arms-Introduces-Six-Rifles-Chambered-in-338-Federal.jpg

Otherwise, look for older, used 308 rifles for sale. Have you gone to any big gun shows? Most guns made these days don't come with iron sights. But you might find some nice old 308 rifles from the '60's or '70's that will have iron sights, and should be quite affordable.

Last Edited:
I've never managed to break a scope, but I've managed to shove the bell of a few into the snow or mud. Probably lucky none ever found a rock...

I broke enough cheap scopes. Some by dropping them, some by just shooting a gun. Haven't broken any "expensive" scopes.

For Springfields, just don't buy the low serial numbers. Forgot which range but I'll get back to you on that, or someone else might shortly.

Thanks again for the further recommendations.

I went and checked out the Pawn shop tonight, they had two 1903's in.

1) Springfield, 811xxx serial, sheesh, a little close to the 800k cut off i found on CMP's site.
2) Larger problem though, is that it's sporterised.... with a synthetic stock....

Alright, so the second one.
1) Smith Corona, 6 digit serial, but they were only made during WW2, so, ok.....
2) Sporterised again, new wood stock, nice enough, but still sporterised.
3) Bleh :(

They had a $1500 Garand too, 7 million Springfield serial, nice, .308, '54 barrel, reparked but nicely done, too much.... and not a bolt, and i already have one :)

$799 for a very nice looking Colt Detective special, no idea on age, hammer mounted firing pin. Couldn't really see any bluing wear.

Springfield didn't have an exact number when the heat treat change was initiated. It was somewhere between 750k and 800k. So anything over 800k is good. Synthetic stock? Blah. But if it's got decent sporter sights or you can get it cheap enough to add them and a new stock, it might be a place to start.
The smith-corona could be a good starter as well. If you were so inclined, you could even do a little desporterizing. Add original sights and swap stocks.

Only caveat is that unless you like it the wait is, always buy it cheap enough to make the changes you want. If you can't get it at your price, just move on. It's the reason I buy old sporters. I haven't found a new rifle exactly the way I'd want it that I can actually afford...

Somehow I have managed to hunt my entire life without ever breaking a scope.

A push feed Winchester Model 70 is absolute heresy. They are not a true Model 70, in my opinion. I've always loved how the traditional Model 70 controlled feed action works.

I am so happy to hear of your good fortune with scopes. I worked in gunsmithing for a few years and saw a lot of broken scopes. The o.p. wanted something that wouldn't break the bank and the pushfeed 70 has the flat bottom reciever, intergral recoil lug and easily adjustable trigger going for it, as well as iron sights, and a reciever drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. Controlled feed is nice to have, granted, but in a range gun not necessary.

I think if i get a 1903, i will never scope it.

Due to the fact it's essentially going to be $200 for me to scope anything, i probably won't scope whatever i get, at least for a while, still trying to justify why i need another gun to the boss :/

Re the sporters, they were both 399 each, so, i'm thinking not cheap enough for the work needed.
Guess i need to persuade @Velzey or @MountainBear they have one too many ;)

No, unless the receivers and barrels were untouched or they were fantastically well done, that's at least $150 too high in my opinion.
I have two scope Springfields. One has a well executed griffin and Howe side mount scope base. The other is the 03a4gery I just bought to build up. Other than that, I doubt I will scope any others.
If I see anything that will fit your range, I will let you know...

And no, I don't have too many. If anything, I need more. Until I can reach into my safe/project cabinet and pull out an action every time I get a notion to build something. At the moment, I'm at least three or four high number 1903's short at the moment...

;)

Many a Springfield has had a Weaver K4 on top, and they can be had for under $50 these days. They are still a good scope, and they function great! I know I still use several..:cool:

Ruger American in .308 or whatever other caliber you like. Very well made rifle that is Smooth, no iron sights but a nice set of high viz sights can be installed no problem. Drilling and tapping the barrel is not a problem. And I happen to know a person that can do it.

Or an older Remington 700 are also a good choice along with Winchester model 70's.
But my first pick would be the Ruger.

Don't let the lack of iron sights stop you from getting something! It can be done.
For a good price these days, so can be new or old, preferably .270, 30.06 or .308

I'd like something with a bolt for myself (wife has two) and i wondered what i could get for a reasonable price, to qualify that, this rifle is purely for fun paper shooting etc.

Thanks.
If your intended use is targets and cans try the Marlin 17HMR bolt gun. I have owned one for several years now and I can tell it is literally a tack driver. I can hit a dime with it every time at 100 yards. Squirrels are no problem out to about 250 yards. Ammo is reasonably cheap. I have run at least 4000 to 5000 rounds through it and it still shoots very well. No recoil to deal with either.

Since you asked for opinions on which rifle has the smoothest bolts, why don't you make a trip to "The Gun Room" on SE Foster Rd and check out their large collection of bolt action rifles for sale.
I say collection, as they never seem to sell any as their prices are to high and only a fool would pay what they're asking, but they do have a considerable variety to check out and it's always fun talking to the expert counter help.
Be sure to mention wanting to buy a Glock on your way out the door.

Naughty, naughty jbett89
Do not ever set foot in that "business" unless you like being belittled, talked down to, and harassed to no end! And my favorite, his Remington 700's are way better then any one else's Rem 700's, like there is some magical deal he has with the factory to build special rifles for him!!!
But if you do decide to torture your self, do stop in and ask to see the Glock collection! That's always good for a laugh!

For a good price these days, so can be new or old, preferably .270, 30.06 or .308

I'd like something with a bolt for myself (wife has two) and i wondered what i could get for a reasonable price, to qualify that, this rifle is purely for fun paper shooting etc.

Thanks.

The answer is none. There are too many semiautomatic rifles available over the last 10-years that can out-shoot, and out-perform over 98% of the people shooting them. Bolt-action weapons are all but obsolete, even useless for 99% of the possible applications. Only people that can't afford a good semiautomatic, or want pretty rather than grate shooting and accurate get bolt-actions anymore. BT Labs, SBD.

I'm not sure you read the question correctly, i was after a good/smooth bolt gun (for a reasonable price) Not a gun that shoots better than a semi, or did i misinterpret your response?

The answer is none. There are too many semiautomatic rifles available over the last 10-years that can out-shoot, and out-perform over 98% of the people shooting them. Bolt-action weapons are all but obsolete, even useless for 99% of the possible applications. Only people that can't afford a good semiautomatic, or want pretty rather than grate shooting and accurate get bolt-actions anymore. BT Labs, SBD.

:rolleyes:

Never say bolt actions are obsolete! Time and time again, people have proven that one good bolt gun in the right hands is far superior to any "Modern" type of rifle! Keep in mind, at this point in the thread the Op is leaning heavily towards an 03 Springfield, in most minds, the ultimate iteration of bolt gun perfection! Sure, MSR's can preform as well in some instances, but I think the Op is wanting a good platform from which to start and grow with and the bolt gun with iron sights is a great learning tool, and when properly applied, more deadly then any inexpensive auto loading rifle of equal power! And keep this fact in mind, every one of history's super long shots, cold bore, were made using a bolt action rifle and a superior shooter! When those records start falling to folks using auto loader's then we have something to talk about!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top