JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As technology has improved, the repeatable accuracy of semi-auto guns has certainly improved. And while you certainly have a point about the new guns being more accurate than many shooters, they just aren't as accurate as a well made bolt action.
There is a reason that most military snipers seem to stick to bolt guns. I think most police departments that I am familiar with (which is not as many as I used to be) are as well.
I think it's a broad generalization to believe that people don't get semi-autos because they are either broke or too concerned with pretty. In fact the statement was borderline trollish. But hey, everyone has an opinion...

I really am swaying heavily toward the 1903 right now, i think it would be a beautiful compliment/safe-partner for my Garand.

Whilst it's obviously a pretty gun, i don't have anything in a bolt, my wife has 3, even my .22 rifle is a lever. I think the 1903 would fit my want for a bolt and not having to bother with a scope if it doesn't have one.

Some posts leave me completely confused. Semi autos......:eek: Anyhow.

I used to love shooting without scopes until just a few years ago. My
Eyes slowly changed and Iron sights became not at much fun. But I do still use them.

We will find you something decent for sure!

Even semiautos have a role in the military that has some need of precision. The Mk 12 SPR, the recce, M110 (being replaced thankfully, but the idea is there), etc. In the right hands a bolt action may be deadlier than a semiauto, but its also true for the opposite.

That aside, the OP wanted a bolt action rifle with a smooth action so no point in recommending a semiauto or use of. Vote goes towards the 1903a3, keeping ammo availability in mind.

The answer is none. There are too many semiautomatic rifles available over the last 10-years that can out-shoot, and out-perform over 98% of the people shooting them. Bolt-action weapons are all but obsolete, even useless for 99% of the possible applications. Only people that can't afford a good semiautomatic, or want pretty rather than grate shooting and accurate get bolt-actions anymore. BT Labs, SBD.
hilarious, only a newb with no firearm experience would post something like this.
only a bolt action can deliver seriuos downrange energy, an intermediate length cartridge in a semi auto just doesn't deliver. Other than video games what are these applications?
(btw it's great not grate)

Last Edited:
@Ura-Ki Plz tell me more about this Remington 600. I love them! Is this pawn shop one you frequent? Can you take a photo or two of it.....
Kinda funny the blue book is always kinda low on them to!

The 600 must have sold. There was a Remington 673 in 308 with rings

edit: oh he said 600 series so this one must be it. I have a picture if you want it

That's the one!!! Did you happen to look it over? Mr Velzey might still be interested!
ah ok. I see you said 600 series, I was looking for a 600 exactly.

Seemed very nice shape to me. sorry not the best photo

20160701_171209.jpg
20160701_171250.jpg

Sorry, my bad! I should have posted it differently, it is a sort of 600 with a non dog leg bolt handle. I couldn't remember what exactly they were calling it these days! Thanks for stopping by bolus, and snapping some picts!

Another one that is overlooked some is the 1917 Eddystone. They have great actions and are pretty smooth. Tons of them have been converted to hunting rifles and can be had at very fair prices!

The good ol "poor man's pre 64".... I like the m1917 as well.. Excellent rifles and when done right, can look pretty nice. A bit heavy, but an excellent choice when building a big magnum rifle...

IMG_0725_zps3gdnqxpd.jpg

It's a bit heavier. They are wonderful rifles but take considerably more work to turn into a nice sporter, so you see a lot of hack jobs that still need a lot of love. But they definitely have potential.

The 1917 Enfield had a few issues. It starts life in military dress about a half pound to a pound heavier than the 1903. It has decent sights, probably a bit more user friendly than the 1903, but lacks decent wind age adjustment. The receiver is not near as smooth as the 1903, but rather has large ears protecting the ladder sight.

When making a sporter out of the Enfield, much of the wood is stripped away to lighten the rifle. The stock doesn't really lend itself to sporterizing, but neither do most 1903 stocks. The 1917 has a grip that is familiar to its British heritage, looking just like the SMLE grip.

Most people remove the rear sight from the Enfield when sporterizing. This also includes removing the large metal wings that surround it. This can be done with files and a hacksaw, but really looks better if done with machines like a surface grinder. This is usually done in a manner to facilitate the mounting of a scope.
The dogleg bolt handle is also kind of an eyesore to some. On a positive note, the safety is actually pretty usable as is.
The last metal portion that really needs to be worked is the bottom metal. In military configuration, it has a belly at the front. This is often straightened out, at the least for appearance.
So there is a fair amount of metal work to make an Enfield into a first class sporter. But it is strong as the hubs of hell, and many people make big caliber rifles from them.

By comparison, a 1903 needs much less work. Most people remove the military sights. But this usually is easier than on the Enfield. The only unsightly thing left is an indexing groove for the rear sight on the shank of the barrel.
The receiver doesn't generally require extensive metal work unless someone wants to change the bolt handle to facilitate scope mounting.

The 03a3 is a bit different, having a slight ugly rear receiver ring if the rear sight is removed. But a scope mount covers it up fairly well, and the barrel shank doesn't have the groove like the 1903. Again, the bolt handle generally needs to be altered to clear a scope. They probably aren't quite as svelte as the 1903, but can be made fairly nice with little effort. I actually have a few 03a3 sporters where I simply use the standard rear sight.

Hope this gives you an idea of the differences in sporterizing the three rifles.

The answer is none. There are too many semiautomatic rifles available over the last 10-years that can out-shoot, and out-perform over 98% of the people shooting them. Bolt-action weapons are all but obsolete, even useless for 99% of the possible applications. Only people that can't afford a good semiautomatic, or want pretty rather than grate shooting and accurate get bolt-actions anymore. BT Labs, SBD.

Your advice is sorely lacking in facts...

I have high end bolt and simi rifles.

My go to is a bolt and I can attest to being able to run that bolt almost as fast as a simi auto and easily as accurate and it shoots bigger boolits to boot.

Last Edited:
That's pretty useful information, it lets me know what could have been done to various pieces when i see them.

However, i must make it clear, just in case i somehow gave a different impression, that i do *not* want a sporterised version, i *do* want an original/mostly original version, at best, i'd want to clean up/restore/enhance the original design.

By that i mean, some things might get put back to stock, but which ever i end up getting, i would likely perform a detail strip and clean, make sure everything is going to last/rust spot removal if they exist etc.

I want this to go by my Garand, to be my bolt gun to my semi, the Garand might not be a part matching pristine example, but it's historically correct in original style, i like it for it's part in history, but understand that parts were serviced and updated during it's service life.

I'd love not to have to de-sporterise one, but if the $ balance is there to do it properly, then it's an open option.

Anyway, still need to find one :)

Check Cabelas used rack. They some times have 03 Springfields. You can also post up an add here on the forum and see what pops up! I wish you were close to me, one of my local shops has several "stock" 03's as well as Lee Enfields that were lend lease returns! A few '98 Mausers and a few C.G. service rifles post ww2! Maybe MountainBear has a barreled action to sell or trade that could be a good base from which to rebuild/restore from!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top