Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WHAT'S A GOOD ENTRY LEVEL AR

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by moviespdx, Apr 19, 2012.

1. moviespdx

moviespdx Boring New Member

I'm getting the AR bug and want to get some ideas from some of you more experienced on different makes for a good entry level rifle. Can you help point me in the right direction?

2. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

Del-ton or dpms or build your own i have both of those ive mentioned and i like them both no problems good luck there fun

No_Regerts likes this.
  3. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I have had both Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and Daniel Defense AR's in .556 and a DPMS 7.62 AR.

I would rank them as follows:

.556 AR's

#1 Daniel Defense. Quality parts and an excellent rail system. Magpul CTR stock as standard equipment.

#2 Rock River Arms. Decent quality. I would consider this not necessarily entry level depending on your definition of entry level, but Mid Tier.

#3 Bushmaster. Decent quality. The only reason that I rank it slightly behind Rock River is finish and RRA has more options available.

I have no experience with DelTon's, but have heard from others that they are a good entry level AR.

I have been advised to stay away from Olympic Arms.

My DPMS is the only 7.62 AR platform rifle I have, but I am very pleased with it. Good quality. Quality rail and Vltor adj. buttstock. Very accurate. Nice Trigger.

If I were to get any 7.62 AR platform rifle I wanted without regard to cost, it would be an LWRC, LMT, or maybe even a Stag.

4. Guilty

Guilty Salem, Oregon Active Member

Do yourself a favor and do some research before you buy an AR. There is a lot of information to look at, here is a good place to start: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Follow the Link to: Google Doc of chart link on the above page.
    Once you are on "The Chart" follow the link to: NEW Comparison Chart of Commercial M4-Pattern Carbines

You can get yourself a nice Colt 6920 for about a grand, this isn't exactly an entry level AR, but it is only a couple hundred more than an entry level price and you would be buying a top tier AR. Another reputable brand to look at in the same price range are the BCM AR's (Bravo Company), great quality top tier AR for around $1000.00-$1200.00.

5. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

I am partial to Spikes which are considered mid level I guess. Nothing wrong with DPMS or Del ton like nitestocker said though.

6. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Troutdale, OR Active Member

I would take a long hard look at the M&P 15 sport by Smith and Wesson. They sell for around $650 and are a good place to start. Compared to a similar priced DPMS I would take the Smith every time. IMO DPMS has been going down hill lately with more out of the box problems with feeding and reliability. Seems that every brand Cerberus Cap Mgmt touches the resulting quality goes down (Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc).

No_Regerts and 3MTA3 like this.
  7. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

There all pretty good. I would by at least a mid level gun.
    Less little things to go wrong.
    Spikes. DPMS. RRA. Colt ect.

8. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

IMHO..........if I'm only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (SP1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for $$$$ and it was really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Aloha, Mark

9. fogell

fogell The Gorge New Member

I was looking into buying my first AR about a year ago and did tons of research and asking around online. I ended up expanding my budget some so I could get exactly what I want. Just this week I finally started buying parts to start a Spikes Tactical build. Heard nothing but good things from them, lifetime warranty, and decently priced. Only drawback is finding one or even parts can be a challenge as they are so backed up with orders, but that must mean their good right? Haha. I also considered Stag, DPMS, Rock River, and Bushmaster at one time or another. Any of those would probably do just fine IMO

10. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

I have a:
    RRA Tactical, Has a nice 2 stage trigger.
    Bushmaster DCM, Got this for shooting High Power, Classic old school looking A2
    RRA Lower built with CMMG LPK (assembled myself) with dedicated CMMG 22lr Upper.
    Anderson Lower with CMMG LPK (waiting for a rainy day with nothing to do and an upper)

I'm really enjoying assembling my own once I learned it wasn't that hard.

MidwayUSA.com has a great video series on building ARs. Building the lower is a snap, although I think I'll just buy uppers

11. Yamahamottox

Yamahamottox Eugene Member

I have owned 4 Olympic arms 2 bushmasters 2 dpms 1 Yankee hill. I have used s&w and several others. I don't know anyone who has never owned a Olympic would tell you not to get one if the price is right no problems with mine. I wouldn't recommend one over other brands though the s&w magpul moe is a nice setup, so are the colts. But you didn't say how much you wanted to spend either.

12. djthemac

djthemac eugene Member

How much are you looking to spend?

Without knowing this information, I would recommend either Palmetto State Armory or Spike's Tactical. Both of these companies offer mil spec (top tier) options at mid range prices.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  13. moviespdx

moviespdx Boring New Member

All great information guys and I tjhank you all. I guess I'll move my budget up to the 1000 - 1200 range. What's the best bang for my buck in this price range?

14. Key-Hay

I like the RRA with the 2 stage triggers. Under 1000 for tac models.

No_Regerts likes this.
  15. djthemac

djthemac eugene Member

For over a grand i would recommend daniel defense, noveske ( grants pass ), lmt, bravo company machine, and colt.

While there are other decent brands if you pay over a grand, you are cheating yourself

16. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Spike's Tactical for me too.

17. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

PM Coctailer and ask if he has a Colt in stock.

18. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

build one on a budget, buy a few simple tools, go to AR15.com get some tips. you will gain knowledge and be more confident when you spend triple and buy a boutique brand.

19. ArBrnSnpr

ArBrnSnpr PNW Active Member

I'd build one. You get to select exactly what you want, and you get very familiar with the weapon in the process!

20. Key-Hay

If you want to build one....ar15sport.com. There in Tualatin or Nubus, tntweaponry.com