JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had both Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and Daniel Defense AR's in .556 and a DPMS 7.62 AR.

I would rank them as follows:

.556 AR's

#1 Daniel Defense. Quality parts and an excellent rail system. Magpul CTR stock as standard equipment.

#2 Rock River Arms. Decent quality. I would consider this not necessarily entry level depending on your definition of entry level, but Mid Tier.

#3 Bushmaster. Decent quality. The only reason that I rank it slightly behind Rock River is finish and RRA has more options available.

I have no experience with DelTon's, but have heard from others that they are a good entry level AR.

I have been advised to stay away from Olympic Arms.

My DPMS is the only 7.62 AR platform rifle I have, but I am very pleased with it. Good quality. Quality rail and Vltor adj. buttstock. Very accurate. Nice Trigger.

If I were to get any 7.62 AR platform rifle I wanted without regard to cost, it would be an LWRC, LMT, or maybe even a Stag.

Do yourself a favor and do some research before you buy an AR. There is a lot of information to look at, here is a good place to start: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums
Follow the Link to: Google Doc of chart link on the above page.
Once you are on "The Chart" follow the link to: NEW Comparison Chart of Commercial M4-Pattern Carbines

You can get yourself a nice Colt 6920 for about a grand, this isn't exactly an entry level AR, but it is only a couple hundred more than an entry level price and you would be buying a top tier AR. Another reputable brand to look at in the same price range are the BCM AR's (Bravo Company), great quality top tier AR for around $1000.00-$1200.00.

I would take a long hard look at the M&P 15 sport by Smith and Wesson. They sell for around $650 and are a good place to start. Compared to a similar priced DPMS I would take the Smith every time. IMO DPMS has been going down hill lately with more out of the box problems with feeding and reliability. Seems that every brand Cerberus Cap Mgmt touches the resulting quality goes down (Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc).

IMHO..........if I'm only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (SP1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for $$$$ and it was really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Aloha, Mark

I was looking into buying my first AR about a year ago and did tons of research and asking around online. I ended up expanding my budget some so I could get exactly what I want. Just this week I finally started buying parts to start a Spikes Tactical build. Heard nothing but good things from them, lifetime warranty, and decently priced. Only drawback is finding one or even parts can be a challenge as they are so backed up with orders, but that must mean their good right? Haha. I also considered Stag, DPMS, Rock River, and Bushmaster at one time or another. Any of those would probably do just fine IMO

I have a:
RRA Tactical, Has a nice 2 stage trigger.
Bushmaster DCM, Got this for shooting High Power, Classic old school looking A2
RRA Lower built with CMMG LPK (assembled myself) with dedicated CMMG 22lr Upper.
Anderson Lower with CMMG LPK (waiting for a rainy day with nothing to do and an upper)

I'm really enjoying assembling my own once I learned it wasn't that hard.

MidwayUSA.com has a great video series on building ARs. Building the lower is a snap, although I think I'll just buy uppers

I have owned 4 Olympic arms 2 bushmasters 2 dpms 1 Yankee hill. I have used s&w and several others. I don't know anyone who has never owned a Olympic would tell you not to get one if the price is right no problems with mine. I wouldn't recommend one over other brands though the s&w magpul moe is a nice setup, so are the colts. But you didn't say how much you wanted to spend either.

How much are you looking to spend?

Without knowing this information, I would recommend either Palmetto State Armory or Spike's Tactical. Both of these companies offer mil spec (top tier) options at mid range prices.

All great information guys and I tjhank you all. I guess I'll move my budget up to the 1000 - 1200 range. What's the best bang for my buck in this price range?

For over a grand i would recommend daniel defense, noveske ( grants pass ), lmt, bravo company machine, and colt.

While there are other decent brands if you pay over a grand, you are cheating yourself

build one on a budget, buy a few simple tools, go to AR15.com get some tips. you will gain knowledge and be more confident when you spend triple and buy a boutique brand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top