JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not bashing on COLTs but when I had my LE6920.... I have to be honest, not pleased..... IMO I think you pay extra because of the name. I was way happier with a S&W M&P15 plus it was cheaper. Now.... I build my first AR with a Palmetto State Armory and the quality was A+ and shipping was quick. Del-Ton had some communication issues but I don't doubt their quality either. It's nice to "build" your own but if you got money to spend.... my buddy just got a Daniel Defense and he is tickled pink. Also again IMO Magpul mags are some of the best and I don't use anything but Magpul.... you can get them from AimSurplus with free shipping as long as they have them in stock lol.
If you end up building your lower (I would recommend buying an already assembled full upper) take your time and tape things up so you don't scratch anything and there are plenty of vids on YouTube to teach you how to build it. If you can do basic mechanical work you can build a lower.

Curts discount shooters supply! I was looking over a S&W magpul wall hanger then saying this is the gun but I want this and this, and he built the rifle I wanted for 1100 including parts I wanted I could have paid more but I didn't see the need for a few things, and went with other parts

talk to Cocktailer thats where i got my Del-ton i got a new 16 in heavy barreled carbine came with detachable handle tool cleaning kit 6 pos stock sling and 5 mags 669.00 take off the carry handle get a set of yankee hill flip up sights a used leupold ,weaver or nikon scope from here or ebay thats about 1200 then you need mags and ammo and more ammo the ammo cost more than the rifle and everything else;):s0155:

Holy necro thread, Batman!

I'd toss in the S&W Sport gen 2 as well.

IMO, best option, though, is to go to Curt's in Gladstone/Milwaukie and get one of their store built AR-15 "kits" (you just join the upper to lower to complete the build) that already has the Magpul furniture you already want and if you have ever done business with Curt's they will stand behind it 100%.

Regardless if what you get, invest 60 bux or so for a better mil spec trigger like an ACT as your second step. Keep the old parts as a backup or if you sell to get a "better" rifle.

I have a confession to make... While I love the .30 Carbine, (surprise, surprise). In September, I will be buying a Ruger AR 5.56 before I buy the $1400 JRA "Rockola" M1 Carbine. I want one of these before the election.

I already have a friend that "locked in" a good price for me so that I can have an "entry level" AR 15 (M4 barrel length). I finally decided that I'll just "learn to love" the AR pattern. (I presume that I will become accustomed to the "sproing" of the action's coil spring echoing in my ears). Grrrrrrrrr!

Last Edited:
I would take a long hard look at the M&P 15 sport by Smith and Wesson

Wonder what -if anything- he wound up getting?

I was thinking the same thing about the M&P's. I don't own nor have shot one but can't think of a single time anybody's posted a complaint about them.

(the S&W branded knives are imported pieces of junk, but their guns are still good stuff.)

If I were to buy a backup rifle to my Colt 6920 I think I'd look closely at the M&P.

I looked long and hard at the S&W M&P Sport II and went with the Ruger, because of the screw-to-remove Delta ring. S&W finally put a forward assist and dust cover on their "Sport II" version. Ruger had it on their AR 5.56 from the beginning.

The Ruger has a better "upper-to-lower" fit than the S&W Sport II... period.

The choice was simple.

Last Edited:
The question is the best entry level AR. I see a lot of next step up, ARs. My philosophy for an entry is you get all the basics and be able to get enough ammo and magazines to run it. I think if the questions is, I have $1000 for an AR what should I get? Then the answer changes.

I think basic ARs:
M&P Sport
Windham Weaponry
Stag Arms
DPMS
Ruger

All these should be in the $500-700 range on sale. I don't think any of those basic rifles will let a entry level owner down. Also, buying used is always an option. It's hard to hurt a quality AR unless the barrel is shot out.

My Ruger is going to cost $650.00 This is okay, because I am going to put electrician's tape on the rear sling attachment point and run a sling to a swivel on the front. I am also going to put a trapezoid of electrician's tape on the brass deflector so that it won't get scratched.

The Ruger is going to be a great rifle!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews