JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I heard some talk on CNBC yesterday about Metaverses. This was the first time I had heard the term and was wondering if they are really going to explode in coming decades. Will basic income, expanded broadband and automation killing jobs lead to a bunch of people living most of their lives in digital worlds. I am pretty sure my stepson is already doing this. If he is not getting food, sleeping or in the bathroom he is online. It is crazy and I can see a lot more people getting sucked in to these fake worlds especially when VR gets good and cheap.

Last Edited:
In all seriousness... its not stable if it can be permanently disconnected, be it via power outage,.massive CME event, EMP, or the governments shutting off the internet.... :rolleyes:
I am more interested in whether it's worthy of investment or will it be a dying fad. I am surprised that gaming is still going strong.

I am more interested in whether it's worthy of investment or will it be a dying fad. I am surprised that gaming is still going strong.
Eh. We've moved past the "service" economy of the 80s and 90s and went straight into commercialization, monetizing,and profiting off of online attention, basically turning it into an "attention economy", where people loudly declare.. witness me! ; be it through sexual stuff (cam girls and the like), gaming (livestreams, twitch, letsplay, etc), arts (patreon, twitter, YT, Vimeo, etc), shop/construction/hobbies (youtube is full of this), or something.. as long as it can be filmed, advertised, monetized, and profitable to get people clicking, viewing, interactions... its driving some of the economy. The problem is the oversaturation of all the above for anyone starting out or thinking about it... gotta bring something unique and different to have some hope of supplementing incomes or focusing on it.

How do you know we aren't already there? ;)

Elon Musk certainly thinks so.

W/ re: to the "metaverse" I know a handful of people who live there already. Literally never go out. Remote work, gaming, social media, and streaming services. Everything is purchased through Amazon Prime and Uber Eats. Probably watching a copious amount of pron too.

I don't know, but looks like a sh* existence to me.

Since nobody has figured out how to feed real people with digital meat and vegetables, I guess I'll just keep plugging away in the real world to raise the meat and vegetables that the people preoccupied with their digital universes need to survive so they can craft them into whatever they want them to be.

More succinctly, I really don't care.

Eh. We've moved past the "service" economy of the 80s and 90s and went straight into commercialization, monetizing,and profiting off of online attention, basically turning it into an "attention economy", where people loudly declare.. witness me! ; be it through sexual stuff (cam girls and the like), gaming (livestreams, twitch, letsplay, etc), arts (patreon, twitter, YT, Vimeo, etc), shop/construction/hobbies (youtube is full of this), or something.. as long as it can be filmed, advertised, monetized, and profitable to get people clicking, viewing, interactions... its driving some of the economy. The problem is the oversaturation of all the above for anyone starting out or thinking about it... gotta bring something unique and different to have some hope of supplementing incomes or focusing on it.
Sad cat is a fairly diversified sector and one that I'm heavily leveraged in..

Being as seductive as it is living online is not going away. It won't be universal (unless it already is Neo lol), but it will keep growing.

Have to say that I share the "no power you're hosed so why would I do that?!" sentiment. The young do not. Raised in affluence, it will always be the way it is today. (Common in history of affluent societies, nothing to do with current tech.) They can hear it's not a good idea... but with no experience of a downside most will not act.

And an old cartoon, just because.

aidsrelief.jpg

Now we need to figure out if the Zombies it creates will be set loose, or eradicated....
.... by a world-wide shut-down/failure of the power grid/internet. :s0153:

Then, it will be simply a matter of...
.... either shutting the power off, or restoring it to keep them at home. :s0155:

Now we need to figure out if the Zombies it creates will be set loose, or eradicated....
.... by a world-wide shut-down/failure of the power grid/internet. :s0153:

Then, it will be simply a matter of...
.... either shutting the power off, or restoring it to keep them at home. :s0155:
QFT
I see encounter groups with nobody present because these met heads will be too afraid to leave their comfy wombs, but with no link to the digital world they'll only be found when they start to stink.

Do not heed the seductive song of the cyber succubus...
With a never ending lust , she will take all that you willingly give...
Leaving you as empty ghost to haunt the digital highways.

I understand the irony of the above , posted on a internet forum...
But...
I also am going to a club shoot today...outside and interacting with real people.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads