JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These two differing results make it tough to say how much is enough. We had a cat that cost us a few grand in "tests" while it continued to decline health-wise. The poor cat got to the point we didn't want to see her suffer anymore. When we called to arrange a "final trip" to the vet, they asked if we wanted to have them run more tests. They had no clue what was wrong with her. I told my wife, if they could guarantee me another five years with the cat for ten thousand dollars, I'd write that check right now. Financing another fishing expedition while the cat was suffering, didn't interest me.
Yeah.

My recent ex-GF's sister is a vet that euthanizes pets at your home. Her advice and bedside manner really helped.

What we do four our Pup.

Keep him dry when it pours.
20221209_160825.jpg

Tuck him in when he's tired.

20230112_103647.jpg

Let him play Cowboys and Indians..he's always the bandito.

20230704_190018.jpg

Bring out his Christmas spirit.

20240127_130611.jpg

Let him sport his St. Patty's day colors

IMG_8475.jpg

These two differing results make it tough to say how much is enough. We had a cat that cost us a few grand in "tests" while it continued to decline health-wise. The poor cat got to the point we didn't want to see her suffer anymore. When we called to arrange a "final trip" to the vet, they asked if we wanted to have them run more tests. They had no clue what was wrong with her. I told my wife, if they could guarantee me another five years with the cat for ten thousand dollars, I'd write that check right now. Financing another fishing expedition while the cat was suffering, didn't interest me.
Every situation and judgement is different.

My wife deals with this daily.

God bless all of you who embrace animals in a caring way.

There have been cats in most of my life. As a child, we always had one or two around. I couldn't keep one while in the army. Fortunately, Mrs. Merkt was a cat lover and we've had some all along.

79 through the many years.
I remember every cat I've had since about age 1-1/2. To this day, it makes me sad to think of the ends some of them came to.

These days, of the two we have, one is the best I've ever known. On June 1, he will be 17 years old. We got him about the time I retired in 2007. Since then, we've had our whiskers grow white together.

zzzz 2013-03-22 009.JPG

What I didn't appreciate years ago is that the quality of food you feed your animal can, to some extent, determine the length of its life. For example, cheap, dry, bagged cat kibble does not contain the most healthy ingredients. There are quality bagged dry food diets that are okay, but wet foods more closely replicate what felines eat in natural circumstances. Even the lower cost canned cat foods are better than low cost dry feed.

For decades, I let my cats out to roam. I've discontinued this practice. Once they get accustomed to an indoor life, they are fine. Some may never adjust but most will. Keeping them inside prolongs their life as they aren't exposed to many dangers.

This is often why with an animal its FAR more humane to let them go. The animal does not understand what's going on. If the Docs have to keep doing stuff that to them seems like they are being abused its becomes pointless. Its also why the last couple dogs we had we had put down when it got to where they were in pain. As much as I would have loved a little more time with both dogs I did NOT want to watch them suffer since they were not long anyway. The fact that it was a hard choice means you certainly cared deeply for the animal and it was time to just say goodby. :(

This is often why with an animal its FAR more humane to let them go. The animal does not understand what's going on. If the Docs have to keep doing stuff that to them seems like they are being abused its becomes pointless. Its also why the last couple dogs we had we had put down when it got to where they were in pain. As much as I would have loved a little more time with both dogs I did NOT want to watch them suffer since they were not long anyway. The fact that it was a hard choice means you certainly cared deeply for the animal and it was time to just say goodby. :(
That's what we did with my last dog. She was almost completely blind and in pain a lot.

My last cat (the one that had a stroke a couple years ago) would do something really odd almost every morning.

When she stayed inside overnight (only about half the time) she knew what time I needed to get up and would jump up on my bed and sit there like a statue - not moving a muscle - unless I moved then she would roll her eyes toward me but still not move.

Then after about 10 minuets she jumped down and started clawing the covers to make sure I got up!

Would you guys say Non-GMO, baking-grade organic walnuts by the 2lb bag for our squirrel family out in the yard belongs here?

Not to mention planking the porch railings and hand-feeding them said walnuts while they're up there... dunno what I'm gonna do when something happens to one of our little buddies, I already know I'm gonna be a wreck. I will never understand how God can simultaneously bless us with such remarkable and affectionate creatures with one hand and yet afflict them with so little sand in their hourglasses with the other...

The Dude and The Lady... in just the past month, over $2800 in vet bills for various minor issues and tests... The Dude is a rescue dog (3 YO purebred GSD) with an anxiety disorder, but probably the smartest (of seven GSDs) we've shared our lives with. Our much-loved 16-year old Lab-Rottie mix in the background, she's a trooper.

doggos.jpg
My kids are aware that we love our doggos as much as we love them...

My last cat (the one that had a stroke a couple years ago) would do something really odd almost every morning.

When she stayed inside overnight (only about half the time) she knew what time I needed to get up and would jump up on my bed and sit there like a statue - not moving a muscle - unless I moved then she would roll her eyes toward me but still not move.

Then after about 10 minuets she jumped down and started clawing the covers to make sure I got up!

In my 20's I got up at 6:00 for work every weekday and occasionally slept in on Saturdays, usually after a Friday night extended visit to a local drinking establishment. I had a Burmese who was very used to being fed at 6:15 every morning. By about 7:00, if his breakfast had failed to materialize, he'd roam the living room letting out that little murmur the Burmese are known for. When that failed to illicit a response, he'd set up camp in the hallway and get progressively louder, eventually getting to a moderate yell. "Hey, feed the cat! My breakfast is late and I'm hungry! I can't work the can opener!" I trained him out of that, but his next solution was to hop up on the bed, lay on my chest and purr loudly. Pretty charming, but he's not going to get my hungover butt out of bed that easily. When this tactic inevitably failed, he'd crawl farther up and begin gently pawing my face. By the time he started licking my nose, I had no choice but to admit defeat. Outstrategized by a cat, what is to become of me?

In my 20's I got up at 6:00 for work every weekday and occasionally slept in on Saturdays, usually after a Friday night extended visit to a local drinking establishment. I had a Burmese who was very used to being fed at 6:15 every morning. By about 7:00, if his breakfast had failed to materialize, he'd roam the living room letting out that little murmur the Burmese are known for. When that failed to illicit a response, he'd set up camp in the hallway and get progressively louder, eventually getting to a moderate yell. "Hey, feed the cat! My breakfast is late and I'm hungry! I can't work the can opener!" I trained him out of that, but his next solution was to hop up on the bed, lay on my chest and purr loudly. Pretty charming, but he's not going to get my hungover butt out of bed that easily. When this tactic inevitably failed, he'd crawl farther up and begin gently pawing my face. By the time he started licking my nose, I had no choice but to admit defeat. Outstrategized by a cat, what is to become of me?
My orange tabby would start knocking things off the shelves in the living room. I lost a few DVD's from that bubblegum!

Bunch of softies on here.
And your point is... ?

In my experience, many animals make better friends than most PEOPLE around here. How can you hate on a critter the size of your foot that after not seeing you for a while wraps itself around your calf in a hug? Animals got individual personalities, just like most people...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top