JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What makes it even more hilarious... there are gas stations (Arco, Space Age, few others) where they have two different prices for Cash vs Debit/Credit :rolleyes: :s0140:
I would have to guess that was an easier sell to law makers. Since the station has to pay the points its either make those who use plastic pay or make those who pay cash pay for those who use plastic. The old "there is no free lunch" thing. I have never had any problem paying the points here just because I don't want to have to go inside. Some of the big boys here will wave the points if you get one of their cards. Never bothered. Often one of my cards is offering 5% on each gas buy for a time too. Right now Discover is so I use that card until that runs out.

Do they take plastic there? All the places in WA went pre pay so long ago I can't remember when. Never mattered to me as they all had the card reader on the pump when they did and I never wanted to have to pump, then walk to the store anyway. I was shocked last time I went to AZ and the pumps did not have the readers. Had to go in and pay, then go back out and pump. Seemed really strange to me and often a PITA if there was a line at the counter.
I have had to prepay everytime I've gotten gas here in Oregon since moving here in 2015.

I've always been quite annoyed with the having to wait to get my gas and get the fudge out, especially early in morning before work.

I have had to prepay everytime I've gotten gas here in Oregon since moving here in 2015.

I've always been quite annoyed with the having to wait to get my gas and get the fudge out, especially early in morning before work.
Hopefully they will end up with card readers at the pumps now then. This state started to roll them out in the early 90's. Before then you just started pumping gas, then went in to pay. When too many people started filling up and driving off station's started putting up signs saying you had to go in and pay first. Soon after that the card readers started showing up and I LOVED it. So used to it now that when I pull into a place if there is a sign taped to the pump saying the reader is not working and to go inside? I just drive off to the next place.

I get the DIY part of this but you certainly are not going to get your gas for cheaper bc you are pumping it. They lay off the low income people, put the cashier into a box and you have to walk in/out thru the rain to stand in line. As will your Mom, Dad & grandparents.

I see the benefits to the store owner, but not to the consumer.

Hopefully they will end up with card readers at the pumps now then. This state started to roll them out in the early 90's. Before then you just started pumping gas, then went in to pay. When too many people started filling up and driving off station's started putting up signs saying you had to go in and pay first. Soon after that the card readers started showing up and I LOVED it. So used to it now that when I pull into a place if there is a sign taped to the pump saying the reader is not working and to go inside? I just drive off to the next place.
Yeah Illinois and California have had card readers since late 90s early 2000s at most stations. And most stations made you prepay due to theft.

I prefer pumping my own gas because I actually take care of my vehicles and absolutely hate how these gas attendants haphazardly slam the gas door and slam the nozzle in and out etc...

:s0140: :s0064: :s0140: :s0064:

of course an union wants to go back to banning self service gas. Indeed, what did they expect from stations "allowing" Oregonians to pump their own gas?

of course an union wants to go back to banning self service gas. Indeed, what did they expect from stations "allowing" Oregonians to pump their own gas?
That's so nuts. Did you hear the politicians's reason why he wanted it back? He said, "I like the quirkiness". Man, OR is lost... It's bubbleguming pitiful.

Well no surprise here. Will be interesting to see if they get voters to go along

Well no surprise here. Will be interesting to see if they get voters to go along
Probably not enough... considering just how bad full service attendants have gotten in terms of quality of "work" and speed of service, compared to just letting the drivers do it themselves.. especially when gas stations can't seem to keep more than 2 attendants around at a time :rolleyes:

Probably not enough... considering just how bad full service attendants have gotten in terms of quality of "work" and speed of service, compared to just letting the drivers do it themselves.. especially when gas stations can't seem to keep more than 2 attendants around at a time :rolleyes:
Worst is them stealing your credit cards. Happened once to me and once to a family member at two different stations.

You know.. maybe more voters would be OK with it if it meant more kids and young adults can actually bring back good work ethics :rolleyes: since I myself don't see that happening any time soon.... :rolleyes: I'd be fine with 100% self-serve gas stations.

Well they are getting their shot. If around half the people who can don't bother and they again get to wait? They did it too themselves.

You know.. maybe more voters would be OK with it if it meant more kids and young adults can actually bring back good work ethics :rolleyes: since I myself don't see that happening any time soon.... :rolleyes: I'd be fine with 100% self-serve gas stations.
I really have never been able to "get" the people so against this. We have had self here for so long I can't remember when we did it. There is still places to get the damn gas pumped if someone does not want to do it. OR will surely be the same. Those who want someone else to pump will be able to have that done.

I really have never been able to "get" the people so against this. We have had self here for so long I can't remember when we did it. There is still places to get the damn gas pumped if someone does not want to do it. OR will surely be the same. Those who want someone else to pump will be able to have that done.
Laziness. "If someone else does it for me, I don't have to get out of the car" (unless they have to anyways to pay inside :s0140: )

"Tradition" as in, "it's Oregon! My parents, grandparents, great grandparents didn't have to pump gas themselves! :rolleyes: "

"Make work" as in it gives young people jobs! It'll look good on resumes! (Never mind that 99.9% of HR companies won't care that you pumped gas as a part timer if you've never gone to college or graduated :rolleyes: )

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top