JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ask this question because someone sent me an e-mail asking what type of lube I used on a gun they bought from me and I lost the e-mail before I could respond. :eek:

I use Tetra Gun Grease on all my guns. I find grease is so much better than oil lubes. I am surprised everyone doesn't use grease.

I am also surprised to see that my spell check does not recognize "lube" as a word. :)

slip2000 not a big fan of grease as it traps dirt and debris
Where do you get that from? Oil attracts dirt just as badly without the added lubrication. Disassemble two guns taken from equally dirty environments and the one with oil with just seem like it has oily dust in it. The one with grease will just have grey grease. There is a reason engine parts use grease as lube,.

when was the last time you saw an axle or bearing exposed to elements they always incorporate a dust boot or seal to keep crap out of grease otherwise it turns what was intended to be a lubricant into basicly sand paper

also there are some really good greases available i would recomend mil comm tw25 b

the realy nice thing about synthetics like clp and slick 2000 is they bond with metal makes cleaning so much easier hand guns not so much a problem but cleaning a bolt on a ar its a huge difference

all lubricants will attract crap grease gives more substance to hold onto said crap

http://www.slip2000.com/
Their little promo is so full of crap it is almost funny. "does not attract dust, dirt or sand like petroleum based products"...get real. "Excellent at displacing moisture"...you mean unlike oil??? Right, we all know the old saying about how oil and water mix together so easily. "Won't burn off during repeat firing"...I guess you never have to replace it at all. It is so obvious that noone regulates these things.

honestly conditions around portland for daily carry grease is fine but i do recomend you try the slick 2000 or the mil grease much better products than the tetra the only downside is they cost a little more

honestly conditions around portland for daily carry grease is fine but i do recomend you try the slick 2000 or the mil grease much better products than the tetra the only downside is they cost a little more
How are they better? WHat factor makes them better than Tetra? Besides vague statements in an ad campaign that pretty much say nothing other than just aggrandize the normal features of a lubricant (hoping nobody notices) and make some statements that are just not supportable.

its nice that clp and slick are cleaners and lubricants they bond to the metal and dont move around like grease has a tendency to with handguns this is not a big issue but on weapons systems like ar's they save you huge headaches in cleaning your bolt and carrier.............i wasnt a real belliever until i saw weapons so fouled by carbon they were not functional after sparying with slick and working the charge handle a little the gun would not only function but able to fire several hundred rounds.........if your happy with what your useing then thats great if you want to try something new those are the products i can recomend......also the grease i recomended holds up better than the tetra me and a friend tried throwing the tetra onto the slide of a glock and the mil on another and went through 500 rounds the tetra noticebly had more friction when operating the slide compared to the mil

I use three different lubricants on my guns. Molybdenum disulfide axle grease works wonders on guns. It is way cheaper then gun specific grease. I use just a dab of it where there is metal on metal contact. Where a thinner lubricant is needed, good ol' motor oil does a great job. You even get your choice of how thick it is. CLP does have it's place in certain applications as well. I don't think there is one lubricant that will do everything.

Anyone ever use automatic transmission fluid in a firearm application?

I'm still waiting for someone to name me an engine part that uses grease instead of oil. Oil has three functions in an engine - cool, clean, and lubricate.

I'm willing to try anything new for my guns if enough people tell me "it's better."

I'm going to try SLP and Slick2000 (sp?) because I'm still stuck in the dark ages with Hoppe's products.

Thanks for the tips.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class