JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Chassis parts use grease, like tie rod ends and ball joints, U-joints too. Transmissions, engines, differentials use oils. Wheel and axle bearings will use either, and can use either, depending on the circumstances of the specific vehicle.

Really has nothing to do with guns.

Lube is a slang, shortened term for lubricant or lubrication, but my spell checker recognizes it.

I used to use CLP because it's supposed to clean and lube at the same time. I personally didn't think it cleaned very well compared to the Hoppes that I've used forever. And I do mean forever 'cuz that's what Dad has always used and I was raised on. I started shooting, and therefor, cleaning the guns I shot, in the late 60s.

I use Remoil for almost all gun related stuff, except for a few places (bolt raceways) where I use some light gun grease (Outers GunSlick) My guns are mostly revolvers, 1911s and bolt action rifles. One of the 1911s and my wife's Airweight are stainless, the rest blued. I am not an AR user and they may have more specific requirements that I am not aware of.

Probably more of a Ford-Chevy, VW-Toyota thing than any real issue unless the temp drops waaaaayy down. That's what might raise my concerns.

I'm still waiting for someone to name me an engine part that uses grease instead of oil. Oil has three functions in an engine - cool, clean, and lubricate.

I'm willing to try anything new for my guns if enough people tell me "it's better."

I'm going to try SLP and Slick2000 (sp?) because I'm still stuck in the dark ages with Hoppe's products.

Thanks for the tips.

$.02

Ahh but an engine oil system is pressurized a very key difference! ;) Block off your oil pump and then come back and tell me how well that oil is working out for ya!

Ahh but an engine oil system is pressurized a very key difference! ;) Block off your oil pump and then come back and tell me how well that oil is working out for ya!

Ahh, but manual transmissions and differentials aren't pressurized and they need and use oil, which still cools, cleans and lubricates. Just think of the sliders, bearings, gears, syncros etc moving under high pressure (especially at gear mating surfaces) and high temps and how they need oil. :)

Also, if you blocked off the oil pump in an engine and replaced the oil by greasing all moving parts, how would that work out for ya? :)

+1 this has nothing to do with guns. It's just that someone made the comparison and conclusion to get this started.

Cheers. :)

What type of lube do I use? Astroglide:woot:! Yeah, I said it.

+1 I was just getting ready to:s0114: But it does work well for a case lube when loading.Just put it in the pad instead of the normal case lube.

As for firearm lube/oil I usually use Singer sewing machine oil.

I use grease on the rails and the barrels with bushings and oil in the lockworks. Mostly a graphite base grease but it really hasn't mattered which. I don't know why but some of the greases have a staining effect on carbon steel barrels if you leave it on. Grease in the lockworks tend to build up a laquer type deposit if left in for any time. Ever clean up any cosmoline??? LOL LOL

I use grease on the rails and the barrels with bushings and oil in the lockworks. Mostly a graphite base grease but it really hasn't mattered which. I don't know why but some of the greases have a staining effect on carbon steel barrels if you leave it on.

Graphite is a filthy mineral made of flat plates which slip against each other. Some of the particles are small enough to get into the pores of your metal parts. Scrub your gun with a normal graphite pencil and then try to get it clean, especially if you've added a little oil to help it soak in. :s0131:

-snip- Ever clean up any cosmoline??? LOL LOL

Sure. Getting cosmoline off a gun is easy. It's just that I can't get it off myself after I get
the gun clean. :D

The graphite seems to hold its lubrication by filling the pores in the metal. It's black and nastey but slick as grease through a goose. All grease is nasty but I can see where it's at when it's black, all over me LOL LOL

jj

I love these posts, ask a question for education/discussion purposes, then tell other posters that they're basically wrong.
Why bother asking if you're not open to actually hearing other people's suggestions?

Oh and I use CLP but will try slip2000 and Tetra.

Great thread!

I use RemOil to clean and then leave a thin film of it on the outer barrel.
Use TW25b grease to lubricate the slide and frame rails, takedown and decocking lever. After cleaning with RemOil wipe down inside and outside of recoil spring with Hoppe's.

Ahh, but manual transmissions and differentials aren't pressurized and they need and use oil, which still cools, cleans and lubricates. Just think of the sliders, bearings, gears, syncros etc moving under high pressure (especially at gear mating surfaces) and high temps and how they need oil. :)

Gears use a bath system with a reservoir of oil again not a good example.

Also, if you blocked off the oil pump in an engine and replaced the oil by greasing all moving parts, how would that work out for ya? :)

That's just the point, I use would use the proper system for the application. My whole point is you are comparing apples and oranges. Comparing the two does nothing to highlight the benefits of oil over grease. The fact is each has it's purpose.

+1 this has nothing to do with guns. It's just that someone made the comparison and conclusion to get this started.

Cheers. :)

Agreed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews