JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oil and grease both serve their purpose. Has anyone actually had a failure of a gun do to inadequate lubrication?

During requalification I have seen more then one Colt AR-15 beside me fail due to inadequate lubrication. I prefer to use Mobile 20-50 on my semi-automatic rifles. I prefer to use Pro Gold lubricant (a gun grease) on my semi-automatic pistols

Oil and grease both serve their purpose. Has anyone actually had a failure of a gun do to inadequate lubrication?
Yes. The wrong lube. W-D40 seems to hold moisture better than most and will allow a gun to freeze up in really cold weather. We found this out while honker hunting in the Klamath basin. Pump shotguns froze up tight and wouldn't open until thawed. Switched to Tri-Flow and never had them freeze up again.

My choice of lubricants is based on where they are used/stored. On the west side where its damp they get grease and med weight oil. 3in1, outers etc.
Over east in the arid lands where the problem is most likely dust, they get silicone lube and/or very light oil like RemOil, Kroil, or CrC.

Most people put waaaay too much lubrication (whether it be oil, or grease) in their guns.

The correct lubrication for anything but the most extreme cold, is CLP, none other.

Grease has a few, and only a few, proper applications in firearms (M1 Garand)

motor oil, fancy versions of CLP, slicksnot2000, whatever, they probably all work about the same (but not as good as CLP)

most semi-automatic handguns will be properly lubricated with one single drop of CLP.

I saw this on another forum that presents an some interesting arguments.

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

I found his comments about "oil migration" pretty intriguing.

While I don't claim expertise, I use CLP thoroughout with a dab of Wilson UltimaLube grease on the slide rails of my auto pistols.

For me as an average shooter, I can be satisfied with something that works "well enough", and I can leave what works "best" to speculation.

In my mind, is far more important to know How and When to properly lube a firearm, to learn how much product is "enough and not too much" and to know with certainty which common oil/lube products are Not suitable for firearms.

We all know that CLP was not around back then :s0112:
So what did Mr. Browning recommend when he designed the 1911, or the 1919, etc?

I use CLP or Graphite mixed w/rem oil, Grease on certain parts (sear, op-rods)

wg

Wally, everyone knows your so cheap you use crisco:s0112::s0112::s0112: Don't try to drop names of products here:s0114:

jj

Another vote for Rem Oil. It's a great all around product. Anywhere a spray on lubricant is needed. I use it on all my gun stuff and around the house.

WD40 dries out too fast. Rem Oil goes on easy, penetrates almost as well and doesn't dry up for a long time.

Lubriplate is also sold at Fishermans Marine and Outdoor in the Marine Section. It is used for lubrication of outboard pumps.... I use it for this purpose, but not on nay of my handguns...

I use Tetra Gun Grease on all my guns. I find grease is so much better than oil lubes. I am surprised everyone doesn't use grease.
I don't use "grease", unless I'm storing the gun for a long time. If I do, I wipe it down with Rig. I understand Rig isn't made any more, so I suppose eventually I'll need a new product.

Normally, I use RemOil and/or Ballistol. I clean with Butch's, then use Ballistol in the bore. I typically spray the bolt with RemOil. Any other metal is ballistol'd or CLP'd.

I am also surprised to see that my spell check does not recognize "lube" as a word. :)

That's 'cause it's slang for "lubricant".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top