JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Expect what you like, but be advised they are not for every one, this bunch of fans excepted. So play it by ear and don't expect too much because you could be really disappointed.
They are not all pie in the sky.
I wanted to love them because I'm a JM Browning fan too, but they just don't fit my hands.
So Make up your own mind if you are happy with it , and if not one of these guys will run all the way to your house to buy it from you. For a used price of course. :rolleyes: LOL
I wish you the best!
Gabby
I'm first in line!

Expect to wind up with a Hi Power. booyah!

th?&id=OIP.M51b3d0dc34d2bc745e85651629e3db44o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

19's are beautiful guns. As long as you don't shoot them.

Fragile forcing cones. :rolleyes:

Not all dash numbers, There were some that had too much taken off by the crane if I remember
rightly and those were susceptible to cracking if fired with full house 357 with 125gr bullets, seems there was a problem encountered when those shorter bullets jumped the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone, creating excessive forces being developed. Those same guns didn't have those problems when fired with the 158gr bullets which are long enough to "Bridge" between the cylinder and forcing cone, which prevented the problem. I may have missed a small point or 2 but I have it correct over all!
My Dash3 has a small flat where the crane mates up to the barrel and IIRC those with a big flat machined off are the ones so affected. So to be on the safe side I shoot 158gr magnums and any weight 38spl bullets in mine.
Back when the Python and the 19 were the big thing, I was a Cop and a contractor I knew came to me for my recommendation for a 357. I took him to one of the better gun shops and asked the salesman to show us both guns and of course he was smitten by the fancy blue job on the Colt. I made sure he noticed the prices at some point, but the clincher was this, I had him close his eyes and got permission to dry fire them both, then I cocked them and handed them to hime with his eyes still closed and had him fire them, then I had him do it with double action, I asked him to tell me which one felt the best to him he indicated the S&W-19 though he didn't know it was what he had in his hands, I had him open his eyes, and He saw that was what he had, and that is what he bought. Out of the box the Smith had it over the Colt, which is why I own one today!
Gabby

All model 19's have a thin area in the forcing cone at the six o'clock position.
They removed metal there to provide room for the yoke in the closed position.

Yes. 125gr short bullets will clear the cylinder before they are tight in the forcing cone.
The hot expanding gas will actually jump the bullet and pound the face of the forcing cone.
It would be my guess that the same is true in most or all .357's?

But with the 19. The forcing cone being so thin it really dose compromise durability.
Too many 19's have lost a barrel from what I would consider ''Normal shooting''.
Just go on line and try to find a 19 barrel to replace you cracked one? [Good luck]

As to Pythons?
What can I say? You cant buy them any more. And there expensive a heck!
With this fewer people that are really good shots. Ever get the experience to shoot one?
What they really are? And how they shoot? Is speculation and hearsay to most.

Trigger feel?
Out of the box I would say my S&W's have a better trigger than my Pythons.
There just smoother.

But fondling a gun in the dark is not the whole story! :s0002: For that. You need to shoot it.

And with it's locked like a bank vault cylinder. And tapered bore. A good Python will shoot circles around any 19. Or most any revolver for that matter.

They have there own weaknesses. Don't think there perfect. Not even close!
But don't think they can't flat shoot! Just because there beautiful.

For what it's worth, for a first time 1911 owner (if you're not adverse to reading) buy Walt Kuleck's "The M1911 Complete Owners's Guide" which will not only give you the history, but a solid knowledge of how to field and detail strip, as well as how to not put an idiot scratch on your new gun. It also gives a very informed perspective on good upgrades versus gimmicks, all in light of how JMB meant it to be.
And I'll have to say, once you're broken in, yourself and your 1911, you won't go without it.

I only have three, but have not put a scratch on any of them. I hated 1911's in the Army as others have discussed. Lucky to hit the target at five yards. I have a Para Commander, Ruger Government, and Rock Island Officers model. I like the big and small.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top