JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple pieces of weird .308 brass, and I haven't been able to find an explanation of what they are for in my googling around, so I figured someone here must know. Pics below:

308%20Brass%20-%20Small.jpg

LC83%20Headstamp%20-%20308%20Brass%20-%20Small.jpg
This one says "LC83" on the bottom.

So...who knows what these are for? Weird old-school blanks? Training rounds for misfires? I'd love to know.

The marines use them for training. They're linked together and fired through a m240 medium machine gun with a (BFA) blank-firing adaptor attached to the muzzle.

Not a "blank", as per normal usage. Blanks have powder and primer and just go "bang" when fired, no projectile.
What the OP has looks like a dummy round and was never made to do anything but practice loading and trigger control with nothing going downrange.

I thought it was a replacement for bullets after all the firearms get banned - throw 'em real hard and see if you can hit 'em with the skinny part. Don't forget to yell BANG!!!

Ok, I had to do some digging to find the definitions, so here you go.....

Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Dummy, M63 (United States): The cartridge is used for practice in loading 7.62mm weapons for simulated firing to detect flinching of personnel during firing and for inspecting and testing the weapon mechanism. The cartridge is identified by six longitudinal corrugations (flutings) on the cartridge case. There is no primer and no vent hole in the primer pocket.

Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Blank, M82 (United States): 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge is used in rifles and machine guns equipped with blank firing attachments to simulate firing in training exercises and for saluting purposes. The cartridge is identified by its double tapered (bottle nose) neck and absence of a bullet.

What the OP has is a blank that's been fired.

YES the round in the pic had a live primer and powder in it. YES it does make noise. YES it can be used with a BFA and it will cycle the action.

I have a bunch of both fired and unfired ones.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews