Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What the heck is this thing?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Judicator811, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Judicator811

Judicator811 Salem, OR New Member

I have a couple pieces of weird .308 brass, and I haven't been able to find an explanation of what they are for in my googling around, so I figured someone here must know. Pics below:

308%20Brass%20-%20Small.jpg

LC83%20Headstamp%20-%20308%20Brass%20-%20Small.jpg
    This one says "LC83" on the bottom.

So...who knows what these are for? Weird old-school blanks? Training rounds for misfires? I'd love to know.

2. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

Training rounds.... Used for learning how to pull the trigger, cycle the bolt and follow up shot without losing sight picture. Many other uses as well.

3. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

LC= Lake City.

4. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

Not old school, its still around, and yes, they are blanks.
    RUAG - Blank Ammunition
    theres a little more explination

5. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

The marines use them for training. They're linked together and fired through a m240 medium machine gun with a (BFA) blank-firing adaptor attached to the muzzle.

6. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

Army and the National Guard use them too........

7. RonS

RonS portland, or Member

Used them in the M14 that was my closest companion during 8 weeks at Ft Lewis in 1968. I shall never forget them or that M14

8. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Not a "blank", as per normal usage. Blanks have powder and primer and just go "bang" when fired, no projectile.
    What the OP has looks like a dummy round and was never made to do anything but practice loading and trigger control with nothing going downrange.

9. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

I thought it was a replacement for bullets after all the firearms get banned - throw 'em real hard and see if you can hit 'em with the skinny part. Don't forget to yell BANG!!!

10. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

Ok, I had to do some digging to find the definitions, so here you go.....

Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Dummy, M63 (United States): The cartridge is used for practice in loading 7.62mm weapons for simulated firing to detect flinching of personnel during firing and for inspecting and testing the weapon mechanism. The cartridge is identified by six longitudinal corrugations (flutings) on the cartridge case. There is no primer and no vent hole in the primer pocket.

Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Blank, M82 (United States): 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge is used in rifles and machine guns equipped with blank firing attachments to simulate firing in training exercises and for saluting purposes. The cartridge is identified by its double tapered (bottle nose) neck and absence of a bullet.

What the OP has is a blank that's been fired.

Nwcid, Sgt Nambu, gryghin and 3 others like this.
  11. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

YES the round in the pic had a live primer and powder in it. YES it does make noise. YES it can be used with a BFA and it will cycle the action.

I have a bunch of both fired and unfired ones.

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I have 50 spent rounds of those in a disentegrating-linked belt that I scooped up after my first permanent party "training kills" with my M60 back in '86. That training came in really handy shortly afterwards, I'll say. ;)