JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the ammo is too expensive...SELL the gun before you spend too much on it. That's my non-pro advice on anything except a hand cannon.

I did this once with a Japanese rifle from WW2. Arisaka Type 99. Looked cheap, and had flip up sight that went to a thousand meters or something, and the ammo was WAY expensive. It took a 7.7mm round. This was back in the late 70's and the ammo was like $15.00 or more a box. And that was a LOT back in those days. I see today it goes for around thirty bucks a box and the rifles for less than $400. Meh.

Hornady makes Critical Defence in .22 mag. The powder used is optimized for short barrel and low flash. I would have liked to see the test above with that. Its 45 grain.

22 mag for the win. :eek:

I used to shoot various brands of 22wmr ammunition. I shot quite a bit of the Hornady Critical Defense ammo several years ago. I liked that ammo and I liked almost all of the 22wmr ammo that I shot. I can't rattle off all of the names now but I do remember the popular brands.

I got a HUGE amount of 22wmr stock in various brands right before the SHTF years ago when I took the ammo and special ordered other items for my husband instead of taking money (Paying NO commission.) from the sale of several firearms from my former FFL dealer who finally retired and sold his building too.

Some men were up at that Ronan store and asked me what I was going to do with ALL OF THAT AMMUNITION too! LOL I told them that I was going to shoot it. Meanwhile, I got some brass for my husband's reloading stock and other items.

I shot it out of my former Ruger single action convertible (22lr/22wmr) revolver and out of my former Henry rifle. I had 2 matching sweet, tack driving, duplicate rifles in 22lr and 22wmr calibers. They were beautiful heavy walnut rifles.

My husband shot it out of a former expensive Ruger rifle too. He sold his 22wmr rifle and kept the duplicate model in 22lr. He still owns that Ruger 22lr rifle too.

This is an interesting thread and IF I had to choose between the 2 types of ammunition mentioned here - I would choose the 22wmr one due to the cost and availability. (I am not talking about the fake/real shortages of 22lr and 22wmr years ago.)

I am NOT knocking what people choose to buy and shoot in their firearm calibers when I say this.

We do not own any 22wmr firearms at this time.

I do LOVE shooting the 22wmr cartridge. I mainly shoot a 22lr CZ bolt action rifle now.

I personally like 22 wmr rifle shooting more than shooting .223 rifles - the few that I have shot that belonged to my friends and to my husband. He does own a sweet bolt action .223 rifle but it is not MY thing. It has a scope on it for the type of shooting that he does and I do NOT use or like scopes. (He sold his semi automatic .223 rifle.)

I only use IRON sights and I do not hunt and he does hunt.

I would take a 22lr bolt action rifle (Or a 22lr lever action rifle.) and a 22wmr BOLT action rifle. I fell in love with some CZ brand bolt action rifles that fit me well and are not too heavy for my almost 70 year old arthritic body.

Cate

This question is for the men or women who mentioned big bore firearms here.

Don't most of you shoot 45-70 caliber lever action rifles? Don't most of you reload - hand load for your rifles (And other firearms.) especially in the more expensive calibers?

Cate

Don't most of you shoot 45-70 caliber lever action rifles? Don't most of you reload - hand load for your rifles (And other firearms.) especially in the more expensive calibers?

Cate

I shoot .45-70 and .460 magnum and 12 ga.

I don't and probably never will, reload shotgun. I have reloaded in the past but until recently I had more $ than time, now, being unemployed, that situation has reversed itself. Once I get caught up on chores (maybe next year - seriously), I will probably start reloading again.

Cate
I have a 45-70 Marlin, but I have a Thompson Center Encore that I shoot .454 casull and .460 s&w, and 500 s&w magnum out of, and 50 Beowulf in an ar form factor. Oddly, I mostly shoot pistol caliber carbines. But I love the feel of a big bore sometimes too.

I can reload, but honestly haven't been doing too much of it.

Cate

I used to shoot a .45/70, but do not anymore. Regarding big-bores, we run a revolver and two rifles in .44 Magnum (lever-action and bolt-action). And there is a .450 Bushmaster on the way. I reload for no cartridge nor have any interest in doing so.

(And of course various shotguns in 20, 12, and 10-gauge, but I think you were meaning rifles.)

I nominate the Tokarev in 7.62X25mm as the poor man's 5.7X28.
Now that .30 Tok ammo is available in JHP I suggest that the Tok is a viable defense pistol, and a whole lot cheaper.
Not to mention the sleek sexiness it shares with the 1908 Colts.

The 5.7 might be a fine cartridge. My problem is that I already have too many cartridges. I want to standardize with .22LR, .22WMR, .223/5.56, .308/7.62, 9mm Luger. Sticking with those means my bullet inventory is simpler, fewer kinds of powder are needed, everything is cheaper, etc. I would like to get into 6.5 bore as well but the only 6.5 gun I have is a 6.5 TCU which is not really what 6.5 bore is for (long range). I have other cartridges I play with but they don't really make that much sense - what really should I do with my .358 Win or 7mm Waters or .338 Win Mag? Each of which I have only 1 gun for? The last thing I need is another oddball caliber, feeding a single gun, that spends all its time in a gun safe. Either get seriously into a particular cartridge (after a lot of research and thought), or forget it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top