JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Biggest favor ever perpetrated on behalf of geriatric revolver owners.

Now you can have endshake, timing issues, significant finish problems, stripped screw heads, firewood quality grips..... but it's "pre lock" . So it's worth the highest asking price you see on gunbroker.
Kinda thinking back and in all my years I don't recall buying a new Smith&wesson revolver. Always bought used at a gunshow. I did buy some virgin Colts but...no I did buy one new Smith from an estate of a collector.

Seems all through those years the seller always had a reason his price was so high on used Smiths. I remember when the 44 magnum craze sent the prices through the roof.

Kinda thinking back and in all my years I don't recall buying a new Smith&wesson revolver. Always bought used at a gunshow. I did buy some virgin Colts but...no I did buy one new Smith from an estate of a collector.

Seems all through those years the seller always had a reason his price was so high on used Smiths. I remember when the 44 magnum craze sent the prices through the roof.
The original handgun waiting period.
Buying a model 29 in the 70s

The original handgun waiting period.
Buying a model 29 in the 70s
I seem to recall my best friend buying a Smith&wesson 44 magnum from a cop for $175 before Dirty Harry came out. Cop moved up here from kali and his department wouldn't let him carry the 44. Friend couldn't hit a thing with the 44 as it scared him when he shot it. However the status of owning a Dirty Harry 44 caused him to keep it. Little guy about 5 foot 4.

IMHO the only safe firearm is one with no ammo in it. Verified by me at the immediate time. Hammer blocks or whatever don't make a gun extra safe compared to no ammo in them. That being said an empty gun is just a fancy rock so there needs to be some higher awareness when it's got ammo in it. Going back to the Hilary Hole as a safety feature, no one carrys a firearm with the gun locked. It would be silly to need to draw a handgun and then un lock it with a key to shoot it. So the only use would be in storage unloaded and in the safe. That would be the only place I could see a desire for the "extra safe" feature and I can see where that might make some people feel better about firearms getting into the wrong hands and not working for them. I'm not that guy to need to feel "extra safe". My guns are loaded and dangerous or not and safe is good enough for me. So as far a does the hole matter? I'd say not to me. I've had both a 629 and a Bersa Thunder with the hole and I just made sure they were in the will fire postion and tossed the key under the foam in the box to not lose it. I didn't feel the that feature added or subtracted from the value of those guns. All that being said, if the addition of the hole signaled a place in time where the build quality went down hill as has been implied with S&W I can see paying more for the higher quality older gun if that is true. Both of the guns I had with the hole shot just fine.

IMHO the only safe firearm is one with no ammo in it. Verified by me at the immediate time. Hammer blocks or whatever don't make a gun extra safe compared to no ammo in them. That being said an empty gun is just a fancy rock so there needs to be some higher awareness when it's got ammo in it. Going back to the Hilary Hole as a safety feature, no one carrys a firearm with the gun locked. It would be silly to need to draw a handgun and then un lock it with a key to shoot it. So the only use would be in storage unloaded and in the safe. That would be the only place I could see a desire for the "extra safe" feature and I can see where that might make some people feel better about firearms getting into the wrong hands and not working for them. I'm not that guy to need to feel "extra safe". My guns are loaded and dangerous or not and safe is good enough for me. So as far a does the hole matter? I'd say not to me. I've had both a 629 and a Bersa Thunder with the hole and I just made sure they were in the will fire postion and tossed the key under the foam in the box to not lose it. I didn't feel the that feature added or subtracted from the value of those guns. All that being said, if the addition of the hole signaled a place in time where the build quality went down hill as has been implied with S&W I can see paying more for the higher quality older gun if that is true. Both of the guns I had with the hole shot just fine.
Appreciate the detailed response and the scenarios mentioned. I guess the "extra safe" crowd may appreciate the feature. I hadn't considered the shift in build quality, perceived or not. I've had experience with a 627 with a lock, I *think* and a 43c without and both shot fine too. Thanks again for the thought provoking response!

I've only ever owned a couple…..
I think it's a cool feature in a restricted state or "environment"…..

I wouldn't knock one for sale…..

I definitely fit the "oldster" and its not just a façade. I have a 38 rossi that has a lock. I don't even notice it. located on the back of the hammer, at the base, nearly touching the frame, its a tiny black hole that blends in well with the hammers black finish. If anything is noticeable, its the pin holding the firing pin on the hammer which is bright and contrasting. I'm not sure it has ever been locked or where the key is.
I agree 100 % with @Andy54Hawken "Buy what you want....use what you want...enjoy what you like."
That said; "yes it does matter" its stupid, unwarranted, unnecessary added production cost, forced on by those sanctimonious, who should Butt out.
"No it doesn't matter" I like the little Rossi, shoots well and is fun.

Hillary hole?

B5577D6B-5025-4BDD-BA57-4BA0FD724037.png
Hillary's doughnut seems to have lost its elasticity…..

I owned a 329NG with the lock till the frame broke and SW replaced it with a 329PD with a lock.
Both were pretty snappy on the recoil and neither lock ever caused an issue with hundreds of rounds fired in each pistol.

Would I prefer the lock wasn't there? Of course I would. I never use it so what's the point of having an additional potential fail point.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top