JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Copy that. But that's not a real "advantage" for most and the ballistics of the .223 are far superior to the 5.7. Twice as heavy projectile going just as fast is hard to argue.
Not arguing there.

From police and military perspective, smaller somewhat capable cartridge in a small light gun like the P90 is a pretty good thing. Pretty sure our secret service still use the P90?

50 rounds of little incendiary rounds in a select fire weapon, sounds like a lot of firepower in a CQB scenario.

pix595100175.jpg

Not arguing there.

From police and military perspective, smaller somewhat capable cartridge in a small light gun like the P90 is a pretty good thing. Pretty sure our secret service still use the P90?

50 rounds of little incendiary rounds in a select fire weapon, sounds like a lot of firepower in a CQB scenario.

View attachment 698384

It has a place out there, but I don't think it will ever catch on for mainstream shooters.

Not gonna lie.....I'd love a .22TCM and a 5.7 just to have fun with. Quirky little cartridges that could be a hoot at the range. I've shot a .22TCM before...or as I like to call it.....flashbulbs. @Reno you may have to google what a flashbulb is. :s0140:

Not gonna lie.....I'd love a .22TCM and a 5.7 just to have fun with. Quirky little cartridges that could be a hoot at the range. I've shot a .22TCM before...or as I like to call it.....flashbulbs. @Reno you may have to google what a flashbulb is. :s0140:
Too young for that, we young people use LEDs.

I bought a 22tcm. It never saw a single round. It's in pieces and soon to become a very very different yet fun little carbine.

Not arguing there.

View attachment 698384

I don't think the SS uses the P90 anymore - I think they switched
It has a place out there, but I don't think it will ever catch on for mainstream shooters.

As I said, niche gun.

Things that could make it more popular would be:

1) Different/better ammo - like the Speer ammo that was supposed to be out 6 months ago. The ammo selection is limited - especially self-defense ammo.

2) Cheaper ammo - it really doesn't need to be 65 cents per round or more. I think it should cost half that, it could cost half that as I once paid about 30 cents (or less IIRC) per round for the American Eagle FMJ ammo.

3) A bolt action or single shot in 5.7x28 (beyond an Encore or Contender barrel). I think it was Savage made a bolt action for it but for some reason that never made it to production?

The .22 TCM seems to be a better cartridge ballistically (except maybe at longer ranges?) and I think there is a .22 TCM bolt action. Also, the ammo is half the cost of the 5.7x28 - although only available from one manufacturer - Armscor - that I know of.

Copy that. But that's not a real "advantage" for most and the ballistics of the .223 are far superior to the 5.7. Twice as heavy projectile going just as fast is hard to argue.
Broadly speaking, weight and capacity (which also factors into weight) are the advantages. There's also the question of what the proposed opposition might be, and the environments in which they'll be carried.

The argument that this mostly parallels is the governmental/military discussion that ultimately led to pivoting from .308 to 5.56. There are differences, sure, but the similarities stack up very much inline with that discussion.

By accounts, HK's 4.6 was a direct answer to the growing popularity in the subgun/PDW markets that 5.7 was enjoying. We all know that the only thing that exceeds HK's ability to build a successful platform is their arrogance, so if they saw 5.7 as a threat to their market supremacy, that's pretty telling (to me) how broadly appealing 5.7 has been.

It's definitely not for everyone, and the lion's share of the planet doesn't have the need or desire to fill a niche; which is great. I love that we have so much variety and access to it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top