JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why would you carry a sidearm? Cant you get it done with your rifle. I have never been in a situation where a pistol is going to be better than a rifle in the woods. I guess I just dont want the weight when it gets steep and deep as i get older every once counts. If I am camping or fishing and dont have a rifle then I carry my linebaugh ar my 1911 rowland because dead is dead there is now such thing as to dead or "overkill".

<broken link removed>

Why would you carry a sidearm? Cant you get it done with your rifle. I have never been in a situation where a pistol is going to be better than a rifle in the woods. I guess I just dont want the weight when it gets steep and deep as i get older every once counts. If I am camping or fishing and dont have a rifle then I carry my linebaugh ar my 1911 rowland because dead is dead there is now such thing as to dead or "overkill".

Because some of us are purists and bow hunt. And Trust me (been there done that) when I bear is charging its a little hard to nock an arrow and make it count. I take my sidearm every time! Spell check broken?

Ive actually have met a bear in the woods before and I can say im more scared of the cartel then some bear, but then again, the bear I met took off faster then some politician could make a new bill.

The area I hunt has had some problems with the cartel in the last 3-4 years and that is the main reason I pack, I plan on coming home alive after hunting, not having to be searched for under a log. And that my friend is the reason I pack my heart stopper with me.

<broken link removed>

Actually had this happened to me at the end of last years season. Got my truck stuck way back in, and way down a hill. Only way out was down hill, but there was a gate. So I hopped it and kept trekking. Pretty soon there were some weird tarp canopies everywhere. I realized what it was, but had no other choice to make it home. It was on somebodies property out in the middle of nowhere, and they and the German Shepard were home. Probably the scariest 5 minutes of my life. Am I gonna get shot? Attacked by the dog? Attacked by the dog then shot? I was sweating! I was surprised when nobody came out as I walked to the front door of the shack (no other choice I felt at the time). He had the biggest revolver I had ever seen in person. He ended up being some old Indian and was super friendly (had glaucoma lol). He fired up the Polaris 6x6 got a cup of coffee, and we unlocked the gate and he took me back to my truck and let me drive through his property. He even had to move some of his operation to fit my big ole truck through. AND THEN played his home made Indian flute for us! It was a once in a lifetime experience I'll tell you what!

My friend hung back a ways, but kept watch through the trees. He saw him with the pistol, and saw us get in the Polaris and BANG!! The Polaris backfired and he though I got shot and started hollering! Scared him pretty good! lol

Where I said if I don't have my rifle then I carry a pistol. also are you capable of out shooting me with a pistol and me with a rifle, are you more accurate with a pistol, carry more knock down power and range. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you probably should not be in the woods with a rifle at all. I was always taught that my rifle was my primary weapon I feel if I need to fallback to a pistol I am losing the war anyways. I would rather carry more shells for my rifle than carry a pistol. I have shot competition with both and am by far a better shot with my rifle.

Where I said if I don't have my rifle then I carry a pistol. also are you capable of out shooting me with a pistol and me with a rifle, are you more accurate with a pistol, carry more knock down power and range. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you probably should not be in the woods with a rifle at all. I was always taught that my rifle was my primary weapon I feel if I need to fallback to a pistol I am losing the war anyways. I would rather carry more shells for my rifle than carry a pistol. I have shot competition with both and am by far a better shot with my rifle.
If your charged by a bear,cat,person etc. at close range, your high powered rifle/scope is worthless. You'd be lucky to get a shot off, let alone hit anything.I really doubt you've done any training like that with your hunting rifle.My xd45? I'll empty a 13rnd mag in the correct AREA in seconds if I choose.Your not doin that with your hunting rifle.

i use to pack a ruger red hawk or a superblack hawk in 44 mag but i i get older the pistols get heaver :D so now i carry a glock 29 loaded with 200 grain double tap i pack it in a fanny pack or iwb carry its a nice little gun

OK so you're guttin' the Bonne and Crocket deer of a life time.Got your rifle laying down out of the way.Some bad guys come out of nowhere and ask what you're doing with their deer.That one guy has his rifle kinda pointing at you,more just in your direction.

Do you
A Try to get you rifle up to your shoulder and tell them to piss off?
or
B get a hand on you handgun that is always by your side or in you pocket ready to go,stand up,point the barrel at one of their balls and tell them ,Sorry,this will be mine...?

I have to disagree with Drkside45,one shot from a rifle will do as much damage at close range as trying to get 13 rounds of 40S&W defense loads into a charging animal. About equal chances ,depending on how close the animal is charging from.

You think you can put 13 rounds in a bear while pissing your pants?

I'm pretty much with mjbskwim on this, but I agree with raisersedge that my rifle is the primary tool.

While gutting a deer or elk by myself I do make a point to keep my rifle loaded and close by, plus I do my best to stay aware of my surroundings. But what if for some reason my rifle isn't within grasp? What if it's dark and I can't see it or I drop it? Sure the same thing can happen to a handgun, but until I unholster it it's strapped to my body. Once it's out of the holster it only takes one hand to keep a firm grasp on it and there is less of it hanging out of my hand that can be struck or latched onto.

My primary reason for carrying a handgun is not for a confrontation with a human. Most, if not all, of the humans that want to take something from me are too friggin lazy to go where I'm hunting. My concern is the big cats and possibly a female bear with cubs.

If anything, human or animal, makes an attempt on my life and my rifle is on my hands, then the rifle is the "go to" firearm, even if the distance is short.
When I'm hunting, I consider my handgun my "spare tire".

I talked to a guy a couple years back who hunted with a State trooper.He had to other business one weekend ,when this guy shot a nice 5X5
Claims to have made a clean shot on the animal
Well two guys and a kid (9-10?) told him it was theirs,and as my scenario stated,one was kinda waving the gun in his direction
He bubblegumed out his Trooper friend for not being there to help,lol.But he didn't feel real comfortable with the situation.
Oh ,he wasn't road hunting either

But how stupid is it,to point a gun,even in someones direction,at someone and then let them walk off with their own rifle that they just made a 150-200 yard shot with?

Back to the subject.If you are going to carry,you should carry something for animals cause it will definitely work on humans
Doesn't always work the other way around.I think a 40S&W is kinda light for a bear or cougar.Hence me buying a 10mm

357,10mm,41mag or up would be my best guess.These three have good power for decent kick (not too bad) without being a heavy gun
YMMV

OK so you're guttin' the Bonne and Crocket deer of a life time.Got your rifle laying down out of the way.Some bad guys come out of nowhere and ask what you're doing with their deer.That one guy has his rifle kinda pointing at you,more just in your direction.

Do you
A Try to get you rifle up to your shoulder and tell them to piss off?
or
B get a hand on you handgun that is always by your side or in you pocket ready to go,stand up,point the barrel at one of their balls and tell them ,Sorry,this will be mine...?

I have to disagree with Drkside45,one shot from a rifle will do as much damage at close range as trying to get 13 rounds of 40S&W defense loads into a charging animal. About equal chances ,depending on how close the animal is charging from.

You think you can put 13 rounds in a bear while pissing your pants?

First of all my xd45 is a 45,..not a 40. And I'm not sayin that a 300wsm wont do the job either. But at close range,with somthin coming at you,do you flip open your scope caps and try and put the cross hairs on it? shoot from the hip? or just kinda aim and guess? just curious. I know I can draw fast,and put 13 rnds in center mass pretty well,..and quik. I practice a lot. I'll have too try that with my rifle and then decide if I wanna leave my sidearm at home.

For me it really depends on the season, and what I'm targeting. If it's August, and I am hunting Bear only, I will most likely pack my .357, or .44mag. During Deer season, I pack the .357, and during trapping season, in the rain and while I'm wading around in the mucky water setting a water line, I pack the Glock 23. The Glock is my go-to also when I'm out at night checking my cat line.

I have recently started carrying a glock 23. It doesn't shoot quite as good, or hit as hard as my revolvers, but I sure like the light weight. BTW 40 sw will stop any bear with a properly placed shot. If you don't think you can make a proper shot under stress then I suggest you practice. I have always packed a pistol and I always will. I have filled my tag many times ( deer, elk, and bear ) with my handguns, and they are completely capable of making clean one shot kills. Speaking of steep brushy areas a long way from the road, and where weight is a consideration. My blackhawk weighs around 34 ounces empty, and is capable of reaching across those 100 yard openings we have hear in the PNW. Also It leaves my hands free while climbing over steep terrain.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top