JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Taurus PT 840. I wanted a hammer fired 40 and I bought it new. After about 12/15 mags full of

shooting it started dropping the mag after one or two shots. Two came with it and they both

did the same. Ordered another mag from Taurus and it did the same. I bought it at Riches in

Donald (since relocated to Idaho) so I took it there as they have a gunsmith on duty. He said

he couldn't fix it and sent it to Taurus. After many months they replaced it it with a striker

fired 40. That was traded off. Still pissed.
I've heard that story so many times with Taurus; some issue with one of their guns, it gets sent to them, and they can't/don't/won't fix it (sometimes repeat/rinse a number of times), and finally they offer a replacement, but it is rarely the same model as they stopped making it (usually due to too many problems with the model so they moved on with yet another model). They seem innovative, and try to make it out that they are innovative, but really they are just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if it will stick, plus their QA/QC sucks.

When it came time for me to go with a lightweight .44 mag I considered their titanium revolver, but right out of the gate it had two strikes against it; my experience with their titanium .357 mag, and the fact that their cylinder was not long enough to handle really heavy hardcast bear loads - like the 300 grain SWC hardcast loads. So I paid twice as much for a S&W 329PD in order to have something with a semblance of reliability and that would handle the loads I wanted to use.

I had one of their SS 6" M44 revolvers that a friend traded to me for a Glock, and I liked it; it was one of those Taurus unicorns that had an excellent trigger and there was nothing wrong with it. I don't know if all of the Taurus M44s are that good, but I doubt it. OTOH - maybe that product line has some good people on it.

Sig Mosquito- probably the worst .22 ever made by a reputable manufacturer.

Dan Wesson .357- bought one just after the company started up. Interchangeable barrels. Every dozen or so rounds the trigger would catch and the cylinder would spin randomly. Like playing Russian Roulette.

(Full Size) Sig P250 45 acp.

Looked and felt pretty good in hand, but also had a DAO trigger-pull a mile long.
It ate everything I fed it; up until a box of Winchester FMJ flatnose that it wouldn't eat w/out tip-up F2F jamming every few rounds.

Perhaps the feedramp needed a little attention, but I don't do 'picky with certain types of ammo' w/ my firearms.

Got rid of it.

Taurus PT 840. I wanted a hammer fired 40 and I bought it new. After about 12/15 mags full of

shooting it started dropping the mag after one or two shots. Two came with it and they both

did the same. Ordered another mag from Taurus and it did the same. I bought it at Riches in

Donald (since relocated to Idaho) so I took it there as they have a gunsmith on duty. He said

he couldn't fix it and sent it to Taurus. After many months they replaced it it with a striker

fired 40. That was traded off. Still pissed.
I've heard many such stories about Taurus service. You buy a gun that doesn't work. When you send it to them for a repair under warranty, after months of waiting they don't fix the gun. Nor do they send you a new gun of the same model. Instead they send you some other gun in that caliber, sometimes a much less expensive gun. Its not obvious why they take so long since they don't repair the gun. Maybe they don't have any gunsmiths at all and never repair any guns, and make you wait so long so you'll just give up and accept any gun they give you as a substitute. After all, they are in Brazil, so its not like you have much recourse.

Apparently some of their individual guns work, but the odds aren't great. Hence the much-repeated "Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus." Some people apparently get a good one. Including at least some people who also own SWs, rugers, or Colt so do have some idea of what quality guns are like.

In general I avoid being one of the first people to buy a brand new model. Very often there are bugs that need to be fixed . I'd rather wait until a gun has been out long enough so that there are YouTube reviews by people who actually bought one over the counter, not got loaned a specially checked out gun for review. Two or three years after the new model came out is a good time for me to think about buying.

Last Edited:
Sig Mosquito. Absolute trash

Kimber custom covert II - constant feed issues until
I noticed frame material getting removed from screwed up barrel lugs. It got sent back and promptly sold when returned.

GSG mp5 clone in .22. The HK licensed models by umarex are light years ahead of these junkers.
Ditto on the Mosquito!

• Sig Mosquito. Got about a box of rounds through it before it became a jammomatic. Isolated it to the extractor spring, but it's below-low on the priority list.
  • TNW ASR. Works great, then won't work, at all. Tinker, rinse & repeat. A great concept, horrible execution. Another, zero priority project.
  • Remington R51 - very finicky about the ammo it will shoot. Once I established the exact geometry it needs, it has been flawless. A difficult gun to field-strip.
  • AR Industries AR7. Seems mine bucks the trend, but 2MOA is the best you can expect, and 4MOA is more realistic.

I've had three Taurus revolvers in my early life all three of them had to be sent back to the factory after very few rounds. I refuse to even handle a Taurus.

I've had three Taurus revolvers in my early life all three of them had to be sent back to the factory after very few rounds. I refuse to even handle a Taurus.
I was extremely pleased with the only Taurus revolver I've ever owned. Okay, so I won it at a banquet and never actually fired it. But it had some good-looking grips, and I was able to trade it for a really nice TC Contender pistol in .218 Bee with a Lobo Scope. Yessir, you won't hear me complaining about Taurus. :)

I bought a brand new 357 Taurus tracker and on the third reload when I opened The cylinder guide rod and some parts went flying and the cylinder droped to the ground I feel lucky I didn't blow my hand off. I can't remember what model Taurus revolver I had in 17 HMR but the timing was so far off the cylinder wasn't lined up with a barrel and it was ripping the projectile into pieces on the edge of the barrel and giving me a shotgun effect on the target. The third one just locked up solid. I've heard good things about a couple of their semi auto pistols but I'll never know.

Have heard good things about Taurus tx-22 which is supposed to be made in usa as I recall. Still I don't think the brand name can ever live down the long term reputation.

This one that fires when you shake it I believe was part of a giant recall. Seems like it was over 600,000 guns recalled but don't remember precisely. Never owned one personally. I absolutely loathe guns that are unreliable that is why I have avoided the brand (just due to reputation).

My first AK47. A modified Saiga by previous owner. Could have been mag issues but it was never 100%. Same as my current AR47 I put together. It seems 99.9% but I doubt it would be my primary in a real situation. Still a lot of fun and AR accurate.

What guns have you had that just didn't work for nothin. Let's not include rim fire unless you know for sure the gun was the issue.

FMK 9C1 G2: most 114gr FMJ would work in this gun but not all. Anything JHP would jam pretty often. Especially 147gr JHP, I couldn't get through 20 rounds without a stove pipe or light strike. I really wanted to like this gun since it was my first 9mm, great ergos, good recoil control, well balanced, decent trigger, but it was just not reliable. However, from this gun, I learned how to quickly remedy malfunctions. I sold it after a few years, not soon enough though.

That's really the only gun I have owned that I would call unreliable. I have/have had guns that would malfunction but not regularly like the 9C1 I had, like an ammo/magazine finicky 1911 (with a solid magazine and the right ammo it was reliable, some timing would have made it 100%). And I have a Rohm revolver that is just terrible, but it's super old and beat up, and even though I know Rohm was known for crap, I know this revolver has some worn parts from excessive usage.
You are soooo not wrong same here. Had the fmk9c mine wouldn't even chamber took it to three smiths and they couldn't figure it out

colt 1911 is my most expensive handgun and only one with issues. it doesnt lock back on empty mag and the magazine has to be forcefully removed.
yeah, mine did the same. try replacing the slide stop. took it to the shop and found that the slide stop was the problem. replaced it and it working fine now.

yeah, mine did the same. try replacing the slide stop. took it to the shop and found that the slide stop was the problem. replaced it and it working fine now.
The vast majority of 1911 problems are tracked down to the mag , try using Wilson combat mags

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top