JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What guns have you had that just didn't work for nothin. Let's not include rim fire unless you know for sure the gun was the issue.

FMK 9C1 G2: most 114gr FMJ would work in this gun but not all. Anything JHP would jam pretty often. Especially 147gr JHP, I couldn't get through 20 rounds without a stove pipe or light strike. I really wanted to like this gun since it was my first 9mm, great ergos, good recoil control, well balanced, decent trigger, but it was just not reliable. However, from this gun, I learned how to quickly remedy malfunctions. I sold it after a few years, not soon enough though.

That's really the only gun I have owned that I would call unreliable. I have/have had guns that would malfunction but not regularly like the 9C1 I had, like an ammo/magazine finicky 1911 (with a solid magazine and the right ammo it was reliable, some timing would have made it 100%). And I have a Rohm revolver that is just terrible, but it's super old and beat up, and even though I know Rohm was known for crap, I know this revolver has some worn parts from excessive usage.

Last Edited:
AMT Backup in 22lr. I have tried to use the hottest 22lr ammo like CCI Stingers to get it to function, but there is at least 2-3 stovepipes per each mag.

My 38 spl. Rohm revolver also is unreliable.

Sig Mosquito. Absolute trash

Kimber custom covert II - constant feed issues until
I noticed frame material getting removed from screwed up barrel lugs. It got sent back and promptly sold when returned.

GSG mp5 clone in .22. The HK licensed models by umarex are light years ahead of these junkers.

I've had good guns become unreliable, and I'm stubborn about figuring it out and fixing the problem. Have been lucky enough or pig-headed-stubborn enough to come out ahead (so far) except with most .22 autos. Doesn't seem to matter if it's one of my 10/22s, a Mk II, a MKIII, or a Marvel Unit 1. They will all run well for awhile and then crash at some inopportune time.

My S&W M&P .22 Compact is the exception. It is the most reliable.22 auto I have, because it has only failed a few times.

I bought one of the Davis .22lr Derringers just for fun. The barrel release latch or lever broke off before I even fired it.

I had a Calico 9mm carbine. One of the magazines broke while I was winding it up and the gun itself had a tendency to fire two shots with one pull of the trigger. Some would consider that a bonus… :)

Next is a Pietta 1873 Peacemaker clone in .357 magnum. I bought it brand new but after firing about twenty rounds, the cylinder stopped advancing or locking with the hammer. The cylinder would spin but not lock into place. I watched some videos and read some forums and I took it apart and made some slight adjustments and now it works just fine. It was something to do with the "hand" and "bolt" being improperly fitted.

Last is a Colt Series 70 govt model. First automatic I bought back in 1988. When shooting or dropping the slide on an empty chamber, (I know you are not supposed to do this but it was a test), the hammer would drop to half cock. I got this one used so someone filed the hammer notch down to get a "hair trigger." I detail stripped the pistol using only an exploded view drawing of parts as this was many years before youtube videos. I filed the notch down to where the sear could engage it safely and it was very reliable after that.

I've had good guns become unreliable, and I'm stubborn about figuring it out and fixing the problem. Have been lucky enough or pig-headed-stubborn enough to come out ahead (so far) except with most .22 autos. Doesn't seem to matter if it's one of my 10/22s, a Mk II, a MKIII, or a Marvel Unit 1. They will all run well for awhile and then crash at some inopportune time.

My S&W M&P .22 Compact is the exception. It is the most reliable.22 auto I have, because it has only failed a few times.
Some .22 ammo brands are so dirty you need to clean the gun often or they make even ordinarily reliable semi autos jam. The Ruger 10/22 and MK II are noted for reliability.

Charter Arms Bulldog .44sp fell into pieces on .3rd shot with over the counter not very powerful .44sp.

Charter Arms .22 Pathfinder revolver failed to fire once or twice on every cylinder. It was clearly the gun as the unfired rounds had shallow firing pin impressions.

A .22 Jennings jammed on every shot no matter the ammo brand.

I bought as a parts gun...
A gun with no name.... :D
It was a Colt 1860 copy...with all the Italian / import marks removed...
Along with most of the factory finish in an effort to make it look antique.
The previous owner also did some "gun smithing" on the action...to make it ....something....:eek:
The cylinder would not lock into place and the hammer would not hold at half or full cock...
With all that said...the bore was very clean and bright.

In any event...
With some fitting of replacement parts...
Replica Colt and Remington percussion revolvers are easy and fun to work on..
I got it up and running again.

Ended up selling it ...but it was a fun project.
Andy

Many off the shelf flintlock firearms can be not reliable.
This is due in part to :

The use of a coil spring for a main spring....
A poorly hardened frizzen...
Vent hole not in the correct place or large enough...
Cheap cut flint , factory installed.

Just something to consider when buying a factory made flintlock...there are spendy to being with.
Add in the need to fix a new item..and ugh.
Andy

Walther PK380, was so unreliable I don't think anyone, with any ammo, ever got through a full magazine without a hiccup. It ended up carving of small pieces of the barrel toward the muzzle.

AMD-65, again a gun I couldn't get to run. In hindsight, I should have probably bought new mags to try, however it was one of my first firearms and I was green as grass.

Remington 770 in .270. it had trouble feeding from the magazine, trouble extracting and to top it off, the whole thing was gritty. I loaded up a round packed to the brim with pistol powder and pulled the trigger like a cannon. It stayed intact and I was bummed

Grendel P10
Mitchell SS Luger
Century Arms Golani (trust CA to screw up an AK)
SIG 14 round mags for the P227
Surplus FR8 Mauser (it had issues with feeding - another one just like it fed fine)
Taurus Total Titanium Tracker in .357 mag; the cylinder gap was less than 0.001" and powder residue would cause it to lock up after 50 rounds. Otherwise pleasant to shoot and carry.
AMT Hardballer 1911

Charter Arms Bulldog .44sp fell into pieces on .3rd shot with over the counter not very powerful .44sp.

Charter Arms .22 Pathfinder revolver failed to fire once or twice on every cylinder. It was clearly the gun as the unfired rounds had shallow firing pin impressions.

A .22 Jennings jammed on every shot no matter the ammo brand.
I have a old Charter Arms Bulldog 44sp that was sent back to factory to repair. I believed cylinder wasn't lining up when firing. That was 15 years ago and still hesitate to shoot it. 44 sp is a powerful round that I'm afraided would blow up this cheap gun.

I have a old Charter Arms Bulldog 44sp that was sent back to factory to repair. I believed cylinder wasn't lining up when firing. That was 15 years ago and still hesitate to shoot it. 44 sp is a powerful round that I'm afraided would blow up this cheap gun.
I had a CA Bulldog - one of the earlier originals - not current manufacture. Worked fine for me.

Love the fact that most of the people on this site will attempt to fix, or repair problems they find with their firearms. :)
Personally, the worst firearm I've ever owned was a Star .380, (the little one). The hammer would try to eat the web of your hand. And it was hungry all of the time. :s0001:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews